Sign in to follow this  
fatcheerleader

What's Your Playbook?

I'm wondering what playbooks people play with on the original Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES. I'm also really curious what the players in the Wisconsin Tournament used. This question is directed with the Original TSB playbooks only. I thought I'd add my playbook cheat sheet that I created to help you if you don't know already. The numbers across the top match the numbers from TSB Tool Supreme. Feel free to add any other thoughts like which playbook do you struggle against or what play seems to give you the most trouble.

*Please Note: I'm aware that some people hate the original playbooks with a passion. This thread is not for you.

For example...

If you like the Pro Set playbook you may post your playbook as R2735, P7577.

And, if you like the Run & Shoot playbook you would probably type your playbook as R5323, P2432.

4427798414_31867c792e_o.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, but THANK YOU! This is going to help add the default plays into the Roster Spreadsheet I'm updating.

MGK - I like the same playbook, only P7537. Pass 5 in slot #2 is my money play.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant P 8537. I like Pass 5 because the TE is always open on a picked play. At least against the Com. It probably gets blown up vs. Man. Who knows. I also like the 5 options. And who needs blocking when you can scramble around like a mad-man with Steve Grogan?

MGK - I like the same playbook, only P7537. Pass 5 in slot #2 is my money play.

I like #6 because it rolls with the run of the same formation. It also brings extra blocking to the bottom, where the majority of the WR options are. It gives me three different scenarios based on the player I'm playing. 1. Huck it down field if coverage is weak. 2. Use the extra blocker to pick up scramble yards. 3. Use the WR quotient strong-side to lob a quick one to the lone WR option weak-side. I prefer creating triangular offensive patterns.

THis topic has been brought up a ton of times but it's always good to rehash it.

With the running plays there are only a few good ones if:

1. The team has 1-2 good lbs

2. The other person can always outtap you

It's best to try and direct your run plays at the best defender. So I switch the plays around occasionally depending on specific matchups.

Slot 1 90% run 5,8,6

Slot 2 90% run 1,2,6

Slot 3 2 or 6

slot 4 1,2,3,4,6 (most common is 3,4,6)

Pass

Slot 1 2, very rarely 8 (The play actions blow b/c the take too long and the pro-t is an auto sack if picked)

Slot 2 3,4,5,6 (mostly 4 but occasionally the other 3 can be useful)

Slot 3 3,7,8 (8 I rarely use without the QB run as well)

slot 4 2,3,5,6,8

There aren't too many comparable plays outside of these.

5- This has to be used with the other sweep play or its worthless since it is easy to stop the play for a loss with an ILB if you know its coming or guess pass and are taking your chances. It's also not very useful in this playbook since you have no pass plays of the same formation.

8- This play is garbage if the other person has a reasonably fast lb anywhere in the top 3 lbs. And even worse if he can out tap you. It's easy to split right through the gap in the OL and tackle the RB in the backfield. Also the pro t formations aren't that dangerous for quick passes so using a lb for coverage is reasonable.

2- Probably the best run play in the game besides run 6 in the same slot. Best defensed with secdonary players.

6- Decent to use if you are using the same formation pass 2. However the R&s pass 2 is one of the msot difficult to stop in the game due to WR's being open often.

7-Don't like this play because you get auto-sack if picked with no chance of throwing the ball away (except maybe qb eagles). Also pass 2 is easily the best pass in this slot.

6-Pretty good play. I think its beneficial to use the i-form sweep down in the run 1 formation though to give you 3 i formations.

3- Love this play

7- Pretty much a duplicate of 3. Don't like using both shotguns as if you pick one you get good coverage on the other. The redgun or the RB motion down are my favorites.

R5826

P7637

This is the official MGK playbook.

I love it when you're gentle, Bruddog. 8)

;)

From now until eternity, I will never claim to be the most knowledgeable TSB player, particularly in MAN mode. I was never around good enough competition to push me to learn those sorts of subtleties (outside of the insta-sack). Now at 30, it's doubtful I ever will, thanks to recreational apathy. If I ever show up at one of these tournament deal-i-os, I can almost guarantee you I'll be the guy surrounded in a thin haze with a bottle of eye drops in my front pockets rooting for the guy playing against me. That's just how I roll. Maybe I can MC an event. ;)

It's best to try and direct your run plays at the best defender. So I switch the plays around occasionally depending on specific matchups.

If you're playing the original against Tampa or Atlanta, what you want to do is make people not want to pick Haddix or Deion, which means they're picking a much slower defender. Thus while R3-2 is one of the most powerful in the game, R3-6 is not well defended by the LCB.

Definitely effective but slightly easier to cover.

PROS: Gives people something to think about especially if you use the other pro t pass and up the middle run. If they decide to use a LB to stop the run you might get a good coverage matchup LB vs open WR.

You can often hit the RB's even when they are covered. The person might have to defend the deep WR's. You can often hit the RB's for gains right after they break out of their pause at the top and bottom of the screen respectively. Especially if they are fast RB's

CONS: THe top WR gets overthrown a lot once he gets too deep and starts slanting towards the middle of the field. He can be a good quick pass for a diver though depending on who the guy is using on defense

The bottom WR will also eventually end up out of bounds depending on where you are. It's a cool play if you can time it so that he is just barely in bounds as sometimes he will catch it in the air and land out of bounds.

bruddog - how is Pass #5 (Pass slot2). Pros/Cons. Effective in man vs. man play?

it's pretty good when it gets called by the defense - dump to TE - if defender is using secondary.

Definitely effective but slightly easier to cover.

PROS: Gives people something to think about especially if you use the other pro t pass and up the middle run. If they decide to use a LB to stop the run you might get a good coverage matchup LB vs open WR.

You can often hit the RB's even when they are covered. The person might have to defend the deep WR's. You can often hit the RB's for gains right after they break out of their pause at the top and bottom of the screen respectively. Especially if they are fast RB's

CONS: THe top WR gets overthrown a lot once he gets too deep and starts slanting towards the middle of the field. He can be a good quick pass for a diver though depending on who the guy is using on defense

The bottom WR will also eventually end up out of bounds depending on where you are. It's a cool play if you can time it so that he is just barely in bounds as sometimes he will catch it in the air and land out of bounds.

bruddog - how is Pass #5 (Pass slot2). Pros/Cons. Effective in man vs. man play?

If I know I called your play (only pro set formation) or its the right formation though I'm cheating towards the middle to stop that though. Works well against the COM though.

it's pretty good when it gets called by the defense - dump to TE - if defender is using secondary.

Yup...I always look for that quick hit.

If I know I called your play (only pro set formation) or its the right formation though I'm cheating towards the middle to stop that though. Works well against the COM though.

Yup...I always look for that quick hit.

Actually, this is the first blitz pass I ever figured out back playing a season with Tampa because I thought at the time they were the worst team in the game. (obviously they are not 8) )

If you tap enough, you can also safe hit either RB 1 or RB2.

I recently started running this play when doing two-back / off I sets instead of the off I pass II that the bears run.

7-Don't like this play because you get auto-sack if picked with no chance of throwing the ball away (except maybe qb eagles). Also pass 2 is easily the best pass in this slot.

True, but it's only a 1 in 8 chance of a called play. Less if you don't call it often.

I like it because if you mash the B button right after the snap it's an automatic dump off to the top RB. If your opponent is not prepared for it, it's an easy 5 yards minimum. I like to use it late in a game when I desperately need a first down or am near the goal line. I also like pass 2 a lot in this slot.

I forgot about the shotgun in pass slot 3. I use this all the time, so that slot doesn't really vary for me either. I use the pro T play in pass slot 2 almost exclusively against the cpu, but I've noticed that a MAN opponent can cover the TE very easily when the play is called. I still use it against MAN but sometimes I'll use the R&S or something else.

I'm really hoping this thread stays alive. I think it would be interesting to log all the playbooks used in TSB.

For what it's worth, here are the two playbooks of the finalists from the Wisconsin VI TSB Tournament.

Jets = R5123, P2432

Saints = R8166, P8673

4433824840_296a8261aa_o.jpg

fatcheerleader - where did you get that screenshot of all the plays in your first post? I'm assuming you got that online somewhere?

I made it! I opened windows explorer, opened one of the playbook programs, clicked on view and made it show me thumbnails, hit FN + PRT SC to take full page photos, had to do that a bunch of times to get all 64 plays, and then opened Paint and hit paste. Yes, Paint not Photoshop as it's what I know. Then it was a lot of cutting and pasting to make it nice and tight. I also save it as a 24 bitmap when I can as it stays crisper and doesn't fade like it does as a jpeg.

If you need something I can help you but my expertise is limited to Paint which is also limited. Glad to help.

And, what's your playbook sir?!

Never thought of that. That might help (if everyone would stop updating their damn playbooks!) I say that jokingly.

I want to have the full playbook listed on on a tab in excel, with all the teams listed, then you can simply type in the numbers into the 8 slots so instead of going into the rom and updating each team's playbook, you can update every team's playbook from that one tab, which populates into the TSBTool file. Got me?

Jeid had created a spreadsheet that did this with rosters. I added to it and now can edit team's offense sim, defense sim, preference and formation. I also copied player faces into a tab with the matching numbers/letters to easily copy and paste for each player - instead of having to open Tool and search.

My playbook is listed above...

R 5826

P 8537