New website TecmoBowl-vs-RBI Baseball

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Visit---->

Tecmo Bowl and R.B.I. Baseball are two all time classic NES games.

20+ years of gaming experience have gone into creating this elaborate and highly detailed site. Strategy, analysis, and info take center stage.

Site Features:

*In-depth Tecmo Bowl and R.B.I. Baseball strategy guides

*Tecmo Bowl team rankings, info, player abilities, and playbook analysis

*R.B.I. team rankings, info, along w/ batter and pitcher ratings examined thoroughly.

*Audio pod-casts and Video section with numerous You-tube videos.

*Pages chronicling the complete history of our Tecmo Bowl seasons

*Linked to Facebook and Twitter

*Great set of related gaming links to check out

*A quick look at all the national attention TecmoBowl-vs-RBI has received, including a guest spot on a Huntsville Alabama sports talk radio show

*Over the top Tecmo Bowl tattoo artwork

-All that and much more.

Site Mission:

The directive of the web site and its creative members is to dispel the myth that Tecmo Bowl is just a game of randomly picking 4 plays. Nothing could be further from the truth! The basic strategies we created in the early days of Tecmo Bowl took a major step in forming a set of educated guidelines to follow. These methods added a whole new competitive dimension to the game at that time.

Lengthy study and research from recent years has become the catalyst in transforming Tecmo Bowl into the ultimate cerebral battle. Specific game planning for each team and all possible match-ups has pushed the competitive edge to the highest level. Intricate plans have been devised on how to attack the personnel of each defense and how to exploit any weakness an offense has in the playbook.

The same sentiment on the complexity of RBI Baseball rings true as well. By dissecting the game of RBI Baseball ratings on a player by player basis we have achieved a phenomenal understanding of the game. This knowledge can be placed forth into all managerial decisions to give your team optimal results, while limiting the opportunities the opposing team has to use its full potential.

*Recent additions to the site: June 2011

A new podcast page

That's a nice little site you have together. I'd like to see it how it comes along. I'm not an RBI fan but I might have to come around if I take some of the pointers you're promising...better put a legal disclaimer out there in the event your advice doesn't work :D !

The game recaps are great...you gotta love the Mecklenberg interception one, that's great. We've all had one of those moments, just when you thought you were down and out (or up for that matter) here comes your one moment to shine.

Meat, I think you're talking about Cam's website which is here, and now back up and running! http://www.tecmobowl.bravehost.com/tecmo.html

Seattle is a fairly balanced team. Really middle of the pack type squad with terrible kicking game. I don't like to face them, and I don't like to use them. Young is a game changer for sure.

any photo/video re-enactments of the top 10 coming along? Those are great reads!

We've had some pipe dreams to do NFL network rip-off videos for Tecmo...in the vein of Americas game and top 10 lists is what comes to mind. Whenever a somewhat inexpensive video camera falls in my lap, it may become a reality. Those would be a blast a make. Pretty sure we could go over the top and ham up some storylines that were supposedly going on at the time. :D

any photo/video re-enactments of the top 10 coming along? Those are great reads!

We've had some pipe dreams to do NFL network rip-off videos for Tecmo...in the vein of Americas game and top 10 lists is what comes to mind. Whenever a somewhat inexpensive video camera falls in my lap, it may become a reality. Those would be a blast a make. Pretty sure we could go over the top and ham up some storylines that were supposedly going on at the time. ;)

I like what you've done with the site thus far, especially the TB strategy...I have used those tactics before just didn't have a name for them. Now I'm complete! I'm a big fan of the Cat and Mouse Defense though I don't necessarily do it in the way that you described. I tend to switch between the OLB's and the safeties, in no particular order. It's just how I feel before the snap...I've only been playing by brother-in-law so he's kinda easy to play pick.

I like the season's too...I might want to start something up like that with him. Would you mind posting an Excel (or Open Office equivalent) template of what you used? I'm not to studied on how to put a season together nor am I familiar with how the NFL does their scheduling (e.g., must play two inter-conference games, four games against NFC opponents, four games against non-conference opponents). I'm not sure if you detail that in your spreadsheet but hey, figured I would ask.

I'm a big fan of the Cat and Mouse Defense though I don't necessarily do it in the way that you described. I tend to switch between the OLB's and the safeties, in no particular order. It's just how I feel before the snap...I've only been playing by brother-in-law so he's kinda easy to play pick.

I like the season's too...I might want to start something up like that with him. Would you mind posting an Excel (or Open Office equivalent) template of what you used? I'm not to studied on how to put a season together nor am I familiar with how the NFL does their scheduling (e.g., must play two inter-conference games, four games against NFC opponents, four games against non-conference opponents). I'm not sure if you detail that in your spreadsheet but hey, figured I would ask.

You're right on the cat the mouse...any way you see fit is fine....DE, OLB, or DB. just do it! If you got a fast guy to work with, then more power to ya.

When there were 4 of us in season 1, the schedule was more interesting. Your teams missed a couple teams that way(randomly). But since there's only 2 now, my 6 play his 6 twice. Always once as home and once as road. I guess if you wanted to make it a 9 game schedule, play your conf foes twice and the other conf teams only once.

Whadda ya mean template for what we used? In terms of creating a schedule? I do it manually. I write the team names on poker chips and randomly set it up 6 weeks of games. Then I randomly dole out which weeks a team is home(player 1) and which weeks a team is road(player 2). Then i Re-do the back-half of the schedule for the last 6 games, then adjust the home and road accordingly so its opposite of the 1st half.

If you need some help, PM me the details of who has what teams, what the conferences are, and how many games you want to play. I can set it up for ya.

On a side note, do you know the run defense schemes that exist to protect you middle linebackers/defensive tackles so they wont get blocked on run plays? Thats some higher level strategy gameplans I'll eventually work in on a new page. Its designed to get the most outta guys like Young, Mecklenburg, Offerdahl, and McMichael.

Whadda ya mean template for what we used? In terms of creating a schedule? I do it manually. I write the team names on poker chips and randomly set it up 6 weeks of games. Then I randomly dole out which weeks a team is home(player 1) and which weeks a team is road(player 2). Then i Re-do the back-half of the schedule for the last 6 games, then adjust the home and road accordingly so its opposite of the 1st half.

By template I mean, is there something that you used that randomized how the teams were setup in the conferences or did you just do it randomly? I'm guessing from the poker chip comment that you drew from a hat and that's how the conferences were setup. One of these days I'll get a season going...working 8:30 - 5:30 leaves little time during the day to do that stuff...plus a newborn at home to tend to.

On a side note, do you know the run defense schemes that exist to protect you middle linebackers/defensive tackles so they wont get blocked on run plays? Thats some higher level strategy gameplans I'll eventually work in on a new page. Its designed to get the most outta guys like Young, Mecklenburg, Offerdahl, and McMichael.

As far as defensive schemes, I'm not too sure what's out there. All I do is make sure that if I do pick run, I don't go with the LB's or DT's because otherwise you're grappling at their 10 and will likely get tossed and then never catch up to the RB that's at your 20, dodging and weaving the com defenders that are haphazardly diving and coming up empty. If I do end up with an LB I make sure it's on a good one (LT, Singletary, Offerdahl, etc.). Is there stuff out there that I may not be aware of?

By template I mean, is there something that you used that randomized how the teams were setup in the conferences or did you just do it randomly? I'm guessing from the poker chip comment that you drew from a hat and that's how the conferences were setup. One of these days I'll get a season going...working 8:30 - 5:30 leaves little time during the day to do that stuff...plus a newborn at home to tend to.

Yes, always drawn from a hat randomly to select conferences/divisions/etc...its all done evenly so each player is represented equally per conference. Season 3 was wacky because virtually all the super powers ended up in the same conference.

As far as defensive schemes, I'm not too sure what's out there. All I do is make sure that if I do pick run, I don't go with the LB's or DT's because otherwise you're grappling at their 10 and will likely get tossed and then never catch up to the RB that's at your 20, dodging and weaving the com defenders that are haphazardly diving and coming up empty. If I do end up with an LB I make sure it's on a good one (LT, Singletary, Offerdahl, etc.). Is there stuff out there that I may not be aware of?

Most teams have an exception that allows the opponent to use a middle linebacker and not get blocked on 1 of the run plays.

These below deal with the standard 3-4 defenses.

vs IND/CLE (linebacker protect).

Choose the top MLB and call the top run. Hes not blocked on the bottom run play.

Choose the bottom MLB and call the bottom run. He's not blocked on the top run play.

vs CHI (linebacker opposite)

Choose the top MLB and call the bottom run. hes not blocked on the top run play.

use the bottom MLB, but in reverse

vs NYG/DAL (1 LB-2 runs)

vs DEN/SEA (1 LB-2 runs)

vs NYG/DAL-choose bottom MLB and call either run. Wont get blocked on the other

vs DEN/SEA-choose top MLB and call either run. Won't get blocked on the other.

That might be a lot to take in all at once, and there's a set of rules for the DT's in the 4-3 defense(mainly just McMichael to destroy a run game) that deals with DAL/CHI/WSH 4-3's.

Also there's a distinct set of rules when calling pass plays that brings in to the forefront which players the game will use in computer coverage when the opponent calls the other pass play. So when i call pass 1 against Chicago, I need to know what bookend defender not to use, so I can gain the computer coverage on the guy that goes deep, and patrol the short routes with my defender.

These little nuances arent that big of a deal through the course of a game, but when you get the opponents offense into 3rd and long or 4th and 6 or whatever, these little nuggets become situationally huge.

Your on the right path bro, but you've still got some learnin' to do. ;) I'll see if I can hunt down my word document that chronicles all of this. PM me your email addy and then I can send it to you.

Your on the right path bro, but you've still got some learnin' to do. ;) I'll see if I can hunt down my word document that chronicles all of this. PM me your email addy and then I can send it to you.

Ouch! Talk about a left hook from the champ!

Seriously though, I know I have learning to do. I used to play this game on my GameBoy (recently found the GameBoy and the game but the GameBoy is looking too hot) and as a kid I never really put much thought into who gets blocked by whom. I always played with Chicago and NY (to me, two of the best teams) and I never really paid too much attention into the nuances you're describing. I am interested in using your guidance from here on out though...

As far as man v. man rules, what do you hold to? Did you have different rules for season games vs. "pre-season," if you will? I saw a website that said that if you scramble with the QB that's a big no no. Thanks mate!

As far as man v. man rules, what do you hold to? Did you have different rules for season games vs. "pre-season," if you will? I saw a website that said that if you scramble with the QB that's a big no no. Thanks mate!

Yes, we have a few rules.

1. No throwing (or running) when your play gets picked. Take your lumps. If your pass play gets picked, try and get back to the line of scrimmage, Same with run plays. on rare occasion a fast RB can get around the corner and go for a long gain on a play-pick. We feel the defense should not get punished for a good call, ending with crazy results.

2. Only the Linebacker position is used for trying to block field goal attempts. This rule basically allows for FGs to play a big role in the game. Of course it also means that NY is the only team not giving any up.

3. Anything goes on extra point attempts. Use any defender you want. blocking extra points is some of the wildcard effect.

4. No QB running for a 1st or TD when its 4th down. Borrowing from the Canadians, we've added in this little twist. This brings the computer issued pass coverage to the forefront.

5. No exploiting the pass glitches. the curl route is virtually un-intercept-able. If my opponent is covering a guy about to curl, I wont throw there. If the opponent is elsewhere, then I will throw to him. Take the ball and run with the QB if the opponent is working on a curling receiver. Now slants we dont have as much of a problem with, because we're pretty good at picking those off.

The Canadians don't allow any QB running. When we meet them at the international competition each year we agreed to only get 1 per quarter. sorta meeting in the middle. Virtually no QB running really makes Tecmo a completely different game. We learned this the hard way the 1st time around.

Dude, thanks for the document...I quickly glanced over it at work. Can we try to set something up one of these days to play online? I'd like to see you in action (and probably get man handled) if that's cool.

Yes, we have a few rules.

1. No throwing (or running) when your play gets picked. Take your lumps. If your pass play gets picked, try and get back to the line of scrimmage, Same with run plays. on rare occasion a fast RB can get around the corner and go for a long gain on a play-pick. We feel the defense should not get punished for a good call, ending with crazy results.

2. Only the Linebacker position is used for trying to block field goal attempts. This rule basically allows for FGs to play a big role in the game. Of course it also means that NY is the only team not giving any up.

3. Anything goes on extra point attempts. Use any defender you want. blocking extra points is some of the wildcard effect.

4. No QB running for a 1st or TD when its 4th down. Borrowing from the Canadians, we've added in this little twist. This brings the computer issued pass coverage to the forefront.

5. No exploiting the pass glitches. the curl route is virtually un-intercept-able. If my opponent is covering a guy about to curl, I wont throw there. If the opponent is elsewhere, then I will throw to him. Take the ball and run with the QB if the opponent is working on a curling receiver. Now slants we dont have as much of a problem with, because we're pretty good at picking those off.

The Canadians don't allow any QB running. When we meet them at the international competition each year we agreed to only get 1 per quarter. sorta meeting in the middle. Virtually no QB running really makes Tecmo a completely different game. We learned this the hard way the 1st time around.

Sorry, i need to re-write the "play online" deal as no one should be using nesticle.

How do you set that up? Is that with the Nesticle contraption? I'm so out of date on this stuff...I just play on my Wii and I don't think there's a way to do that online.

i got next

Sorry, i need to re-write the "play online" deal as no one should be using nesticle.

I actually meant Nestopia; I had Nesticle (and another tool) on my computer when I was trying to do some edits to Bad News Baseball and see how it turned out. So Nestopia is the way to go, duly noted.

use nestopia,tecmo turd can help set u up

I will reach out to him, thanks for the heads up...

But it did take us a long time to figure out how much better this makes the game.

Ive really enjoyed the international game with virtually no QB running. The grinding, deadlocked, chess match that goes on with no QB running is really intense. Just like the game of Tecmo in general is still evolving, the introduction of international rules in those competitions has played a role in chaging how we play defense now in league play even with Qb running.

Reading the international game notes, i'd completely forgotten about my quarter long drive with the Bears against your Giants. Still has me fuming I'm yet to beat the G-men. Speaking of Chicago, I had forgotten about this international Tecmo stat line I have when using the Bears.

CHI 12-7 PF/PA 165/93 +72

Home 9-0 104/30 +74

Road 3-7 61/63

Those 7 loses? Each stinking one was to a canadian controlled SF or NYG. 11-0 against everyone else. Did beat SF once on the road. How the fuck do I keep playing SF/NYG on the road? ;) This leads to make a motion that in season play you spit home/road with teams in your tier.