Madison's 6th Annual 88-man Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

Toolie, you played fine and you're a damn good TSB player. It was just Francis' day - he was getting all kinds of good stuff handed to him by the Tecmo Gods that day...no one has mentioned the "Hector CC" he got in the championship game on 3rd (or was it 4th?) and long...wow.

The final game was fantastic, and I was fortunate to be a part of it. There was a lot of great talent at the Badger Bowl that day, and I had pretty good luck up until the final game. If McNeil doesn't catch that pass at the end of the first half, if Heyward doesn't fumble, or had I won the coin toss in OT I would have had a good shot to pull off the win, but that's the way it goes, and Francis was an excellent player. His title is well-deserved. I will have Al Toon nightmares for the rest of the year!

Regarding some criticisms: I had already played with both NO and JET earlier in the day and felt comfortable with the matchup (I was NO in my semi-final game, so I felt like I was in the groove with them... but JET is the better team, for sure... I would have been happy either way). Looking back on the punt I probably should have gone for it, but that's normally not my style. The fact that he got the TD on the bomb really accentuates that mistake.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In regards to top 32 round: "Mort cruised through his game in this round." said by Mr. Pat Beach

I'm not one that needs props or anything, but this was kind of a slap in face. Mort forced overtime after I was up 24-17 and won the toss in OT to score another TD for the win. Ultimately he won because he out-tapped me and was the better player, but not by much. It was a great game. In regards to that, Why don't you keep track of the tourney scores?

Also the tourney was absolutely awesome! I would be glad to help out in the future. It was like Heaven on Earth!

Would love to see best out of 3 in tourney play, even though I know that would be tough due to time constraints. I'm sure everyone there would down though.

Why don't you keep track of the tourney scores?

That's our job to go record our scores :mrgreen:

Would love to see best out of 3 in tourney play, even though I know that would be tough due to time constraints. I'm sure everyone there would down though.

I have to say that I would object to this suggestion. The tournament would last until close 11pm (if not later) if we went that route.

id like to second some prior posts. everyone that organized the tourni did a great job.

even though i didnt qualify going 2-1 (frustrating) i still had a blast and i will for sure be bringing it next year.

12 hours? id drive 24 to get to this thing. everyone was really cool and helpful.

-stratis from rochester, ny

Welcome. Start reading some of the stuff on here and it will definitely add to your game.

id like to second some prior posts. everyone that organized the tourni did a great job.

even though i didnt qualify going 2-1 (frustrating) i still had a blast and i will for sure be bringing it next year.

12 hours? id drive 24 to get to this thing. everyone was really cool and helpful.

I'm in the process of converting the video right now

EDIT: Not only do I have the final but I also have several game from the "Finals TV" that I will need to identify.

Dolphins 20 - Oilers 10

Bills 35 - Niners 14

Bills 38 - Oilers 35

Colts 24 - Pats 21

Maybe next year guys. Sorry I couldn't make it :mrgreen: -- I should have tried since my business trip to guadalajara was postponed till next week, but life is just too crazy right now. Having a baby does wonders to ruin both your tecmo career and sex life!

Well,

I have the footage and I've splice in actual audio from the bar as well as the initial coin toss ceremony.

It's currently processing.

In the meantime, enjoy some posse videos

QJaBxg2aawM

LCnKWLMXF9I

vSU86rFgn9Q

tmGESKvUJpo

z3QiTrucWSw

Welcome. Start reading some of the stuff on here and it will definitely add to your game.

thanks knobbe, really cool meeting you and i plan on getting all the inside info and start playin online. :mrgreen:

You can go 2-1 and not advance when two other people in your group go 2-1, the fourth person goes 0-3, and the other two 2-1 guys have a better point differential than you. That's why every snap counts in group play.

cant believe i got bounced. sterling sharpe screwed me when he scored three jump tocuhdowns? in the end zone on my second game. :mrgreen:

Just got back onto knobbe.org after changing my DNS. Thank you for that info Knobbe, and FU Comcast!

Josh - great tournament review writeup. Thoroughly enjoyed every word, nearly as much as the tournament itself. You and Chet did an absolutely amazing job with this tournament. People throw around acclaim too easily, but in this circumstance, it is absolutely warranted. The tournament was an unbelievable success, thanks to both of your care, commitment, and direction. And for this I thank you both so very much!

My tournament went fairly well. Was able to go 3-0 in group play, despite losing 3 fumbles inside my 5 yardline in the first two games, and still came out with a good enough point differential, to get the 7th overall seed. After receiving a first round bye in the bracket portion of the tourney, I faced Jonny Bailey in the round of 32. Bailey chose a great matchup for us - Rams, Lions. After some extremely deeeeep consideration, I chose my Lions. Afterall, I was wearing my Lions, O'Dell #42 jersey. Bailey just couldn't catch any breaks whatsoever with his high-powered offense, and Barry was too much, as I was able to defeat a great opponent, and took this one, 28-7. Thankfully he didn't get that comeback from the night prior, down 21 points, that I caught on video (thanks for posting that someone!)

In the round of 16, I was under the assumption I was going to face the defending champion, Kevin Miller. So I was kind of sweating it, until I found out he was upset, by a virtual un-known, Troy Hansen. A calming came over me slightly. I win the toss, and chose the matchup. Browns-Jets. Now, most people will say that the Jets are the clear cut favorite here. The McMillan/Byrd combo makes them a solid defense, while having an offense that can atleast move it a little bit. But, some people can attest to this from TPC - I play extremely well with the Browns, riding the arm of QB Browns. I was very confident I could win using the Jets, or the Browns against him. As I suspected, he took the Jets, and I was happy to play with my coveted Browns. Fast forward a bit - I outplay Troy the first 3 quarters, and punch in my 4th TD of the day, to take a 14 point lead - ending the 3rd quarter. He gets up, sets down the controller, shakes my hand, and says "good game." So being the kind of guy I am, I say, "well, cmon - let's just finish it up" - and he says, "ok, you're right." On the Jets ensuing drive to start the 4th quarter, Troy gets a nice O'Brien to Toon JJ, and runs one in a few plays later, 28-21 me. First play of my ensuing drive now, I choose pass 2, offset I flare - going for Slaughter, just as he gets by the CB, before his curl. QB Browns, however under throws it, and McMillan picks it off! Jets punch it in a few plays later - OVERTIME. I win the toss, and can do nothing with it. Troy runs his Jets down to about the 5 yardline, where he is able to kick the game winner, capping a lengthy 10 play drive. 31-28, Jets.

What a disappointing way to lose. I would have went on to face averagetsbplayer, and his daunting entourage, in the elite 8. Would have been very interesting. The tournament was just such a great time though, and I cannot wait until next time! Thanks again to the Holzie brothers for putting on such a great show, and congratulations to Mort for taking home the Madison Tecmo Tournament VI title!

My personal tourney recap.

Friday 4:30 I was so excited i woke up 30 mins before the alarm. anyone who knows me knows i hate any time before 9 in the morning and barely tolerate 9 in the morning. We got a good flight on southwest to get to Chicago early then it was driving all day as we visited Lambeau and then went to madison. Seeing Lambeau was awesome as a packers fan. But what stood out was the Lombardi quotes. You know "Winning isn't everything its the only thing" and "We never won as many as I wanted which was all of them". Kinda gave me some inspiration.

The next morning i was up super early again and off to badger bowl. I arrived to find my bro playing a decent game against Odell. Who I had forgotten was an online player. If louis had had ten more breaks he might have won. Lou lost his next two games. Including an eriee simialar Buf Hou game where he could have tied going into ot but missed an extra point.

My first round featured a 63-0 (wash-minn) game I'm ashamed of because the guy was real cool and had only joined to help fill in seeds. Then a close 28-14 (gb nyj). Finally a 28-21 buff -hou game that would have gone to OT if i had not thrown a double coverage cc with no time on the clock. What i took from these last two games was to stop underestimating people and assuming you could run up the score for positioning. In hindsight i had more than enough for a 1 seed and it could have easily cost me that last game.

round 32 kc 30-cin 24 (stenihke)

Naturally in my first game which Chet told me i should win easily I was against one of Flo's friends. Stenihie i think. KC-cin and he had my chiefs down by 7 most of the game. Okoye fumbled the ball like he was Lorenzo White. Yet i managed to somehow keep him from getting up by more than 7. eventually scoring near the end of the fourth to send it to ot.

In ot i realized just how stupid I was. The whole game i was noticing this white dude at wr1. Which was odd since i put paige there as the chiefs. When he dropped a pass in ot i finally had enough. I raced to the player change scene and sure enough paige was on the bench and i had subbed in Rob thomas when i had done the inital changes. After i put paige in I nearly hit myself. But it was no harm no foul as i had a big play for a td right after the subsitution.

Rico Gb 21 no 7

At the airport when i mentally reviewed the tourney this game escaped my mind. But i do remember being down 7-0 and having trouble stopping the saints running at first. Then i discovered disloging the tackle with lb 4 totally ruined Rico's run attack. meanwhile majik man (who i got a cool shot of his packers hall of fame plaque friday) and sharpe took over. Woodson played well and eventually by the fourth i got up by 2 td's.

Dal 17 ari 7

I read his post and forgot his name. sry man. it was a good game though ari is a bit outmatched. I was sticking to the run and began to run. which led to fumbles. not to mention i threw some int's. yet once again my defense got tough down 0-7. i would post my 7 points near the half and score 10 unanswered in the second half. This was the most questioned matchup i've had. personally i did not think ari a reach. I came so close to losing this game on so many plays. i could have easily thrown an int or gave up more yards on emmit fumbles.

cory chi 14 phi 0

this was the best game i played. my defense with dent was amazing. even after i turned it over on offense i would block a field goal with singletary. otherwise it was a score less half. in the second i had enough with caution and running the ball. all tourney i had told myself to play it like a certain group of people from a 513 area code. run the ball a lot and rely on defense. i told myself its time to play like me and chuck a few up there.

luckily for me i came up with a jj, outtapped cory, miracuously avoided a defender then juked another guy. both of which should have had me dead for rights. then i ran it 30 yards with a 31 ms rb. later in the game i got another big pass for a second score. finally cory drove down to the three but could not score on 4 plays.

title game luckytool nyj 27- no 21

Like the game against rico i had nothing against the saints running attack. On offense i was nervous and a bit off. i threw an int over tapping and was down 14-7. then for some reason matt tried to run it up the middle with heward for a first time. on the third one craig fumbled. eventually he got the ball back, punted on 4th and 1 and then i came up with the jj td or otherwise i doubt i win.

the second half i got the ball i think and forgot what happened. i remember scoring but still unable to stop him. i think we might as well talk about the punt when i was in field goal range. it was just too far back and he had a good lb1. there was no way i was going to miss that field goal then watch him make one. I'd rather take my chances on the coin toss. though i must admit i got very lucky to drain the clock all on the punt.

In ot matt did something i noticed that stenikhe and many others do in ot. he guessed a lot of run. even worse for matt he continued with the one mistake he really made in that game. that was using cb 2 on a guessed run. i had several shots at toon and eventually broke it big. Comapretively I reviewd this game last night and could not believe all the things i did wrong yet came out on top. i didn't follow blockers well, my angles sucked, i didn't ever guess run, i did not use mckillian and so much more.

as for why i ran the ball in. i don't like field goals. i felt confident i could run outta bounds. the pass i threw into coverage was dumb. but the runs, even up the middle was designed to go top. I just don't like field goals.

gg guys. and i can't wait for the next one. cause i want more.

Bailey chose a great matchup for us - Rams, Lions. After some extremely deeeeep consideration, I chose my Lions. Afterall, I was wearing my Lions, O'Dell #42 jersey. Bailey just couldn't catch any breaks whatsoever with his high-powered offense, and Barry was too much, as I was able to defeat a great opponent, and took this one, 28-7. Thankfully he didn't get that comeback from the night prior, down 21 points, that I caught on video (thanks for posting that someone!)

That great post by O'Dell pretty much summed up my tournament. Great matchup against a great player, too bad Jim Everett turned it into a blowout, it would have been nice to go out on a better performance.

The only other thing about this tournament for me was the most nerve wracking decision I've had in quite a while. For those who stayed and watched Josh take on his roommate Adam, you know about the Nintendo malfunction in a 10-10 Elite 8 game. And for those who don't know, it falls to me to determine what happens in those situations when Chet or Josh is involved in them. Kudos to Chet for staying out of the discussion, other than to provide the most basic of guidance. In the end, I think I made the right decision, but it was the most stressful thing I had to do that day. I would rather the game against O'Dell be the most stressful thing, but it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks to everyone for showing up. Congrats to Mort, our 6th straight worthy champion. Hope to see you all back in Madison next year. Don't let your controllers get too dusty.

Mort, great job man! Congrats on the victory and welcome to the Champs circle son! While im in the hospital room with my new niece i hear a tecmo kickoff and it was the video of last years Midwest tourney with MV and Chet. We watched the entire game and is making me want some more live tourney action. I cannot wait to play again in this Midwest tourney and hopefully the 513 can still hold the crown. Until someone beats us, Midwest is OURS. GG.

Josh holzy:

The Elite 8 featured one of the most infamous games in the history of our tournament: Pat Beach (Cards) vs. Adam G. (Pitt). Adam played some great D and held the Cards to 10 points. The Steelers never had any offense in this one, but managed to get a “garbage” (without a doubt, the most frequently-used word at the tournament) desperation JJ to Lipps to score a TD.

With the score tied 10-10, the line of scrimmage at the Cards’ 48 (eyewitness accounts vary – we’ve heard everything from 46 to midfield), and just a few seconds left on the clock, the Steelers lined up for the winning field goal. It certainly looked good – the arrow seemed to be in the right place, and it got through without being blocked. But in his excitement, Adam started jumping up and down (whilst screaming “Garbage! Garbage!”) and managed to turn the Nintendo off while the ball was in the air. Now what?

Bailey (tournament ref when Chet or I are involved in a dispute), with some help from Clay, decided to start a new game that would serve as sudden death overtime. Pitt won the toss, but after a called play, was stuck inside their own 10 yard line. Adam was lining up for another E2E JJ bomb, but Strom’s pass was blocked, and it went out of bounds in the end zone, which many of us know means one thing: SAFETY. In our tournament, this is part of the game. Future tourney organizers out there may want to have a ruling prepared for situations like this as well. Tough loss for Adam, but he doesn’t remember most of it.

I had forgot to mention this in my review, but what an amazing game this one was! One thing Josh did not mention was that, with about 1:45 left, he was driving methodically, at about 4 yards a pop with those pesky Steelers. With just about :30 to play, Hoge (I believe), crosses midfield, to try and set Josh up for the gamewinning FG attempt, with one of the game's better kickers. The 'factor back, ball-controll stud himself, Merrill Hoge fumbles though, with under :20 to play! The crowd goes absolutely crazy as PHX picks it up! Adam runs one play to kill a little clock, to try to get off his own game winner. Kick is up, it's looking good, Adam is jumping up and down screaming something (explained above, as I was much further away from the action), and the game freezes! hah

Now the rules indicated that if loss of game is caused by a player, then that player may have to forfeit the game. My thought on this, is that each situation has it's own circumstance. People wanted to just give Josh the win, and I felt that Adam's gamewinning kick looked good, yet he caused the game to freeze. I see no other option than to just put this one into sudden death OT. Then, the pass-deflected - out of the endzone safety in OT, was just a perfect way to end this crazy game, 12-10! You made the right decision Bailey.

Lastly, Knobbe, thanks for posting all these videos. I've re-watched the championship game, which was epic in it's own right, and then all the vids from the night prior. I defintely need to be a part of this next time! Great tourney everyone!!!!

I think you had the teams backwards, there. Josh was driving with the Cards and fumbled. The guy playing PIT is the one who eventually lost (I think).

Earlier in the day my buddy won a game on a blocked FG that Eddie Murray picked up and ran 50 yards to the house to win 14-10. I thought that would be the strangest win of the day, but that elite 8 game was about as nuts as it gets. I also agree with the decision to send it to OT.

Yah, you are right, my bad. Players were correct, but teams I may have fumbled on.

And when I said I have to be a part of this next time, I am referring to the prior nights 'shenanigans - as I was present at the tourney. Lesson - next time, no girlfriend. Hehe

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

The rule states that if "equipment malfunctions due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game." Fortunately, it was written broadly enough to provide Bailey the necessary leeway in a tough situation. I agree with the sentiment of others that these sorts of situations should be decided on a case-by-case basis. A hard and fast rule would likely breed injustice.

thanks lefty. i can't wait for a chance to get another shot at that midwest title. The prize (espiecally if it is still the neon) would go well framing my madison trophy.

on a serious note i'd like to thank chris for putting this on despite his newfound responsibility. i hope you guys lend him a hand running this thing. he's gonna have more than tecmo tourney's on his mind. i'll do my part to bring people, systems and even a tv or two if we can manage it. i can't wait.