Madison's 6th Annual 88-man Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are the seedings going to work out? Or will they just be chosen at random?

My brother and I assign everyone a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed based upon all information at our disposal. Once each participant is given a seed, everyone is randomly assigned to one of the 16 Groups. The primary goal is to avoid creating a "group of death" (i.e. 3 power players in one group). We do our best, but sometimes there is nothing we can do, either because a guy is totally unknown or because someone dropped out at the last minute and the first-available alternate is a higher quality player. The former situation arises less and less frequently because we've been doing this for a number of years and know who the best players are.

One other note: If we get an influx of 10-15 more players, we may expand the tournament. Turning away a few players is inevitable, but we don't want to deprive 20 guys of an opportunity to play. Whether we have the time and/or logistical capabilities to expand beyond 64 guys, however, is another issue.

Expanding the tournament would be great. I believe you had told me that I stood 8th in line. That would make 72 players, and 18 groups of 4. They may be enough for yah! hehe I might just show up anyway. My girl, and a friend of hers are going to tag along for the ride, and visit a friend of theirs in Madison. So expanding would be great, but I would also be happy with possibly just taking someone's spot if they don't show up.

How are the seedings going to work out? Or will they just be chosen at random?

My brother and I assign everyone a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed based upon all information at our disposal. Once each participant is given a seed, everyone is randomly assigned to one of the 16 Groups. The primary goal is to avoid creating a "group of death" (i.e. 3 power players in one group). We do our best, but sometimes there is nothing we can do, either because a guy is totally unknown or because someone dropped out at the last minute and the first-available alternate is a higher quality player. The former situation arises less and less frequently because we've been doing this for a number of years and know who the best players are.

One other note: If we get an influx of 10-15 more players, we may expand the tournament. Turning away a few players is inevitable, but we don't want to deprive 20 guys of an opportunity to play. Whether we have the time and/or logistical capabilities to expand beyond 64 guys, however, is another issue.

Play a smaller side tournament where the top 2 players get a bid into the main tournament at some early stage? Even 12-16 guys could finish a smaller tourney much faster than the main one will be going.

Not a bad suggestion Dejabec. We'll definitely consider it. Since we now have a larger venue, the main problem is getting enough consoles, controllers, and televisions.

One other note: Clay Travis, a Fanhouse columnist, will be covering and participating in the event. That is pretty darn sweet!

holzy: this is just a one-day affair, right? ('Cause my plane leaves Madison around noon Sunday.)

I think my brother may be coming along (our 'entourage') with Andy and I.

He plans to take mad video footage, hopefully interviews (!), etc...a little documentary. :D

Yes, 1 day event. Really like the video idea. It'd be really sweet if we could get a few of the final games on tape. Some postgame "exit" interviews would also be great. If you think the NFL head coach press conferences are funny, wait until you hear someone cursing the Tecmo gods.

"Playoffs? You kiddin me?" -Jim Mora

i signed up, hopefully i'll be there. will be hard to get permission from the lady, will have to wait until she's off the rag

i dont know how i'll do... i know i got mega gypped last year vs mr chris vogt, but i haven't played a game since the ryder cup. the setup of the tourney with group play is nice... gives me 3 games to get back in shape before the actual bracket starts.

Me: Do you know who Clay Travis is?

Mrs Woodson: No

Me: Ha, He went to Jerry....it's a pun on "She went to Jared"

Mrs Woodson: We're done.

Me: It's a pun

Mrs Woodson: I hate Tecmo. Can I kill it?

Me: You cannot kill Tecmo. Only the players who play it

Not to highjack the thread, but speaking of Chris Vogt.... last year he was announcing the Midwest tourney in November, and now here it is February already and not a peep. Are the Vogts still active on TW? I checked there recently and didn't see any announcements.