Madison's 6th Annual 88-man Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

holzy11

I think I might actually be flying to this thing. Hopefully the x-rays don't kill my NES.

Are people driving from Minny? I'd think about flying into Minny as I have some family to visit there though there is also the issue where it's cheaper to fly through Minny than to it.

P.S. Does this bowling alley have the internet?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm getting all warm and fuzzy with just about a month until the tournament.

I want to be in the same group as the guy with the sponsorship.

I'm from the Chicagoland area. There will finally be someone else to represent the Chi. You better not disappoint, Odell.

I just got a fun Iphone. I could post stuff during the tournament between games. All members of the Flo-club (Flo fan club) will be up-to-date on my games.

I will be very disappointed if I don't finish in at least the final 4 this year. I realize it is ridiculous to expect a top finish in a Tecmo tournament with all the luck involved. Especially when you consider the amount of talent (shit, just the amount of participants). I just feel that I am due. I always sucked online. I always did well at the tournaments but was never able to get far enough. I killed at the Ryder Cup against some of the strongest competition. The stars better align this year.

I hope most of you are planning on hanging out in downtown Madison after the tournament. It is almost as fun as the tournament itself.

Shitshitshitshitshitshitshit, it's almost time for Tecmo!

my brother is coming along and has plans for a full-scale amateur documentary (with post production, etc). he's bringing a nice video camera and mics, etc. he'll be taking footage all day and interviewing people. he's pretty excited.

I just hope I don't get put in the same group as the friend I'm flying up there with - that would suck to take each other out...

yeah, I plan on hanging out all night, if there's something going on.

A buddy of mine and I signed up, but we're like numbers 90 and 91. I also hope we don't get put into the same group (if we can even play).

I'll never forget the first time we played Tecmo. Each of us, of course, thought we were the best TSBers in the world. After a four games we were 2-2 and realized we had to start a league at our school. We did... all 28 teams had human controllers! Making that work was a bitch, but it was worth it (took about a full semester to complete).

I'm excited to learn something new and play with the best. Hope to see you all there in a month (we're coming from MI and OH).

I'm from the Chicagoland area. There will finally be someone else to represent the Chi. You better not disappoint, Odell.

I just got a fun Iphone. I could post stuff during the tournament between games. All members of the Flo-club (Flo fan club) will be up-to-date on my games.quote]

I will be representing the CHI well, however, I will always be claiming the D first and foremost, as it is of course my hometown and will be noted by the jersey I will be sporting.

Where can I be a part of this Flo-club you speak of?? I looked on Facebook. That's about all the knowledge I have. hah

Chet and Josh officially emailed the groups to everyone, so you should at least know where everyone is playing.

This bit is directed at Rod (in a bizarre Rocky III reference):

I want you Stallion! I'm coming for you Stallion!

I'll also be bringing the Milwaukee city flag since the defending champ is from Milwaukee.

To Chet: I suppose I should email these questions to you as well, but I figured I'd put it up so everyone is aware of this...

A couple questions regarding 2 rules. "WR at RB: For the purposes of this tournament, “WR at RB” is defined as follows: placing a WR or TE at the running back position. This is prohibited. It is permissible for a WR to carry the football if he is in fact at the WR slot in the lineup. This applies to reverses, and to teams with three or four starting WRs (Lions, Chargers, Oilers, Redskins, Falcons, Cardinals). " So does this mean that if a WR is in a WR slot on the game, however is able to run RB plays at RB2, that this is legal. Players such as WAS R.Sanders, and HOU Givins are at these slots. Can another WR also be moved into that slot - ie ATL Rison for use at RB2?

"Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle, or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive." I like to think of "lurching" as using the NT and dive at the QB/RB immediately after the snap. This is not allowed, correct? However, we can dive with LB4?? Maybe just a little clarification with both of these. Thanks!

The way I read these (these are common rules):

1. a WR has to be in a WR slot (to run the ball) - that means WR1 or WR2 slot - which means the only way a WR can run the ball is on a reverse.

Just because Givins is listed as RB2 (because they use 4WR set) doesn't mean he's an RB - so Givins can't run the ball, unless you put him at WR1 or WR2 slot and run him on a reverse.

2. he's talking about DL (RE,NT,LE) - you can't use a DL and proceed inside the tackles without first touching someone.

Usually lurching is, guys use NT and make a quick move around the Center and dive at the Qb. Other than that, a lurch is using a RE or LE and diving into the backfield as the ball is snapped.

To Chet: I suppose I should email these questions to you as well, but I figured I'd put it up so everyone is aware of this...

A couple questions regarding 2 rules. "WR at RB: For the purposes of this tournament, “WR at RB” is defined as follows: placing a WR or TE at the running back position. This is prohibited. It is permissible for a WR to carry the football if he is in fact at the WR slot in the lineup. This applies to reverses, and to teams with three or four starting WRs (Lions, Chargers, Oilers, Redskins, Falcons, Cardinals). " So does this mean that if a WR is in a WR slot on the game, however is able to run RB plays at RB2, that this is legal. Players such as WAS R.Sanders, and HOU Givins are at these slots. Can another WR also be moved into that slot - ie ATL Rison for use at RB2?

"Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle, or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive." I like to think of "lurching" as using the NT and dive at the QB/RB immediately after the snap. This is not allowed, correct? However, we can dive with LB4?? Maybe just a little clarification with both of these. Thanks!

Lets do away with question (2) first. Like Buck says, lurching applies only to defensive linemen. It has nothing to do with linebackers. So yes, you can attempt to dive in and stuff a run with any LB, including LB4.

The WR at RB rule is a thornier issue. Frankly, we don't like either option.

Option (1): You completely disallow a WR from running with the football even if they are at a WR slot. This essentially prohibits teams such as S.D., Wash, Det, Atl, etc from running an "offset I" playbook. The only way to permissively run an "Offset I" playbook with these teams is to put your starting RB in at WR and put your backup RB into the vacated RB slot. The end result is a talented WR goes to the bench and a substandard RB is inserted, something we are not particularly in favor of.

Option (2): You disallow only placing a WR in a RB slot, but WR's like Ricky Sanders, Ernest Givins, etc. are permitted to carry the ball using the "Offset I" playbook (this is what the present rule contemplates). This option is distasteful as well because it makes the aforementioned teams better.

The trump card, however, is the manner in which teams are selected in this tourney. The coin-flip winner must select a fair matchup or he will get stuck with an inferior team. If the coin-flip winner selects a matchup of Washington-Dallas, then just take Washington if you think they are better. Don't give your opponent the chance to use Ricky Sanders. If someone selects Hou-Gia and you believe Hou is better (perhaps because they can run Givins), then pick Houston. If not, take the Giants.

Putting Rison in at RB for Atlanta, however, will not be tolerated. While Givins and Sanders are the default "Offset I" running backs, one would have to manipulate his core of WR's to put Rison into the desired WR slot such that he could run. To us, that violates the spirit of the rule, and therefore, it will not be permitted. Same goes for any other manipulation.

We understand that some guys may "frown upon" this rule. Josh and I don't particularly like it either, but given the team selection process, we think it will work fine for this tourney.

My prediction? Pain...

Chet and Josh officially emailed the groups to everyone, so you should at least know where everyone is playing.

This bit is directed at Rod (in a bizarre Rocky III reference):

I want you Stallion! I'm coming for you Stallion!

I'll also be bringing the Milwaukee city flag since the defending champ is from Milwaukee.

Option (2): You disallow only placing a WR in a RB slot, but WR's like Ricky Sanders, Ernest Givins, etc. are permitted to carry the ball using the "Offset I" playbook (this is what the present rule contemplates). This option is distasteful as well because it makes the aforementioned teams better.

The trump card, however, is the manner in which teams are selected in this tourney. The coin-flip winner must select a fair matchup or he will get stuck with an inferior team. If the coin-flip winner selects a matchup of Washington-Dallas, then just take Washington if you think they are better. Don't give your opponent the chance to use Ricky Sanders. If someone selects Hou-Gia and you believe Hou is better (perhaps because they can run Givins), then pick Houston. If not, take the Giants.

Putting Rison in at RB for Atlanta, however, will not be tolerated. While Givins and Sanders are the default "Offset I" running backs, one would have to manipulate his core of WR's to put Rison into the desired WR slot such that he could run. To us, that violates the spirit of the rule, and therefore, it will not be permitted. Same goes for any other manipulation.

We understand that some guys may "frown upon" this rule. Josh and I don't particularly like it either, but given the team selection process, we think it will work fine for this tourney.

I tend to agree that alot of guys are going to "frown upon" this - the allowance of using the aforementioned WR's as RB2. I have been playing in leagues online for a little over 5 years in all now, and the use of WR at RB is certainly something that is prohibited in all of them. But I mean, it's your tournament man - and if you think that's the best way to do it, then so be it. I just wanted to make sure I will very clear on all the rules. I was pretty sure I was clear on the lurching thing, but I think the way it was written up was a little confusing. Glad we are on the same page there. Thanks bud! Can't wait!

Given the team selection format, I really do not see the problem. If you don't want to deal with Givins at RB, do not pick a matchup with Houston if you win the toss. If you lose the toss and some douchebag picks Hou-Gia, and you think Hou is better (perhaps becuz Givins can now run), then just pick Hou. Again, the team selection format is the trump card here.

I hear ya. After looking a little closer, the only teams this will matter for are HOU and WAS.

So, the only runs Givins and Sanders can run are RB2 runs, right? Like the OI, Slot, Run3&4 Pro Set, Run-3 Single-Back, and Run-4 SG Draw?

Given the team selection format, I really do not see the problem. If you don't want to deal with Givins at RB, do not pick a matchup with Houston if you win the toss. If you lose the toss and some douchebag picks Hou-Gia, and you think Hou is better (perhaps becuz Givins can now run), then just pick Hou. Again, the team selection format is the trump card here.

My prediction? Pain...

I want Rod! I want Rod! You hear that, Old Man? You tell Rod to come here! Nobody can beat me! You tell him what I said! And he's NEXT! I'm gonna kill him! Nobody can stop me! You tell Rod that! I'M COMING AFTER HIM! YOU TELL HIM!

Correct. Because they (Givins, Sanders) still cannot be inserted into a RB slot, we're talking about the "offset I" runs, the pitch left open, and "cross buck" runs in the Run 3 slot. I don't think they have a single run available for Run 2. I'm not sure about Run 4's Shotgun Draw, but i think you've got the idea.

I would think the biggest issue you have with these two exceptions are possible unclarity issues.

He's just a QB with 25 MS, so be MORE man than him!

Go get him!

Eye Of the Tiger!

My prediction? Pain...

I want Rod! I want Rod! You hear that, Old Man? You tell Rod to come here! Nobody can beat me! You tell him what I said! And he's NEXT! I'm gonna kill him! Nobody can stop me! You tell Rod that! I'M COMING AFTER HIM! YOU TELL HIM!

He's just a QB with 25 MS, so be MORE man than him!

Go get him!

Eye Of the Tiger!

My prediction? Pain...

I'm now going to begin training in Russia. I might lift some rocks, maybe lift family members. I'm definitely going to run away from some KGB agents and climb a mountain. All while wearing a leather flight jacket and growing a hideous beard. And running though my head the entire time will be a vision of Rod saying: "If he dies, he dies."