Bad Boys Season - CPU Challenge

TomTupa

This CPU challenge involves two of the bad boys of the early 90's. Whether clashing with the NFL commissioner or mooning reporters, qb Jim McMahon always had the bad boy reputation. With his punk attitude and rebel look, you'll have to guide this bad boy through 16 weeks of MVP-shunning duty and guide the Eagles to the Super Bowl.

No problem you say?

Did it with Grogan, I can do it with anyone you think?

Well buck-o, with the fearsome Jerome Brown or quick and smart Eric Allen maybe, but how about with another bad boy?

With a vicious style of play that earned him the nickname "Dirty Waters", Andre Waters was an intimidating force in the Philly secondary. Blindside hits, fines and penalties were just another day at the office for Waters. His hit of Jim "Chris" Everett led to a rule prohibiting defensive players from hitting quarterbacks below the waist while they are still in the pocket. This hard-hitting play didn't pay off when it came time for the Tecmo Gods to generate their ratings however. Given putrid abilities, it is all he can do to keep up with Ricky Prohel in the 40.

Here's the rules:

Must always be Jim McMahon at quarterback. McMahon must be played as Grogan was in the Grogan Passing Season. No scrambling. Take sacks if you want, I ended up not going that direction but grabbing the defender guarding the rb and ending up tackled before he can be shaken and thrown to is kind of taking a sack isn't it?

http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12696.

Default playbooks.

No punting.

No fgs. I was going to kick them but never did.

No kickoffs returned past the 50. I was originally planning to return them normal but I couldn't get past the 50 with their crappy returners. When I finally did break one I felt guilty so I ran oob at the 50 - hence the rule :)

Must always be Andre Waters on defense, including field goal attempts.

You can only return interceptions and fumbles with Waters. Of course he won't get a fumble because you can't pick the ball up.....

You'd be suprised how effective some of those simple to shut down plays are when you have to be a crappy strong safety. To shut down those runs that come at you forces you to leave the passing game wide open, and he can barely even run with a late week wr. And it seems like every other playbook has that weakside open run where the guy chop blocks you!

I'm done with it already, but I'll post my results later. It's late now for me :wink:

finished w/ regular season...15-1, lost Week 12 to Bengals

here's stats:

15-1 (lost week 12 to bengals)

-regular season stats-

546 points for, 214 points against

-offense: #1 5745 pass-

mcmahon 279/406 68.7%, 74TD, 24INT, 5745 yds, 145 rate

byars 73/651, 10 TD

sherman 38/565, 9 TD

barnett 42/1569, 11 TD

williams 30/1161, 15 TD

quick 9/218, 4 TD

keith jackson 87/1581, 25 TD

kenny jackson KR: 55/206 PR: 20/49

-defense: #1 3197 tot, #1 pass 1972, #6 rush 1125-

waters 1 sack, 3 INT, 7 Forced Fumbles

hopkins 2 sack, 3 INT

smith 3 sack, 1 INT

42 team sacks

post-3789-13413725578425_thumb.jpg

I played the NFC games earlier this evening, but just went ahead and won the super bowl (hey, it's Thanksgiving week). here's stats and screens (by the way, the two NFC playoff games were the craziest/most-tense TSB games I've ever played vs COM, I will never forget beating the 49ers (see paragraph)...)

Oh, and for the first two games I was typing shit in a notepad before/after it happened...but for the super bowl, I couldn't be bothered anymore.

PLAYOFFS

w28-21 vikings

1st play of game = 80 yd JJ to Williams in end zone.

Wilson answers. 7-7.

Keith fumbles in red zone, MIN misses FG attempt.

McMahon to Byers 3 yd TD. 14-7. End of 1st Half.

Herschel 70 yd TD. 14-14.

McMahon answers by methodically driving 80 yds and dumps an 8 yd TD to Byers.

Herschel injured on ensuing kickoff return!

Q4 Wilson answers with flea-flicker connection to A.C. 21-21

McMahon answers with pass 2 TD dump to Keith. 28-21

Wilson comes up short.

78% 332 4/0

(Wilson 100% 198, 2TD)

waters 2 forced fumbles.

w28-27 49ers

McMahon's opening drive = loss of downs on 5 yd line.

Cofer FG. Cofer FG. McMahon INT. TD Rice. 0-13

with 10 sec left in 1st half, McMahon to Barnett. 7-13

Waters gets blocked 10 yds downfield while ball in the air as Montana hits Rice on Play Action TD. 7-20

McMahon intercepted by Lott in red zone. 49ers go 3 and out.

McMahon to Barnett with 4 min to go in Q4. 13-20

Montana to Rice, 80 yd TD. 13-27

McMahon to Barnett with 1:41 to go in Q4, ~80 yd TD. 21-27

(should I go for onside kick???)

I do. And I fucking get it. 1:28 to go, down by 6 at the 50.

God damn 50-yd JJ TD to Barnett. 28-27, 1:00 to go...

Montana falls short. Holy shit. See screenshot.

57% 401 4/2

SUPER BOWL

post-3789-13413725579365_thumb.jpg

post-3789-13413725580094_thumb.jpg

I went 14-2. Giants were all on crack week 15. They dropped 45 on me, running for 195 yards and passing for 83% and 220 yards. They always seemed to know what play I called on defense, maybe JoeyGats was controlling them.... McMahon didn't connect on any jjs I needed to get back in the game, instead throwing 3 2nd half INTs. I also lost to the Redskins as Gary Clark ran for a 90 yard score and Rypien to Monk was on. Lost 21-23, too bad I couldn't kick a fg.

Funny thing is, I met both teams that beat me in the playoffs. Beat the Skins 36-7 Giving up only a long Byner run as McMahon passed for 407 yards and Keith Jackson caught 6 for 258. Then I spanked the Giants 35-17. McMahon had a half second more time this game than the first. I'd be willing to bet LT was in excellent that first game, because he was on me like white on rice. And I don't mean William White on Jerry Rice. I had a really good Super Bowl as well. I had an error in judgement on a Zo White run that cost me. His runs are freebie stops, not scoring threats! What I remember most is getting the ball back with probably 4 minutes left and dumping off to Byars over and over to run out the clock. I knew if they got the ball back I was screwed, because that passing game is very tough for Waters to stop. I scored with about 15-20 seconds left to ice it.

Now the fun part - stats!

14-2 506 pts for 256 against

3rd in yards 4981

1st in pass 4980

last in rush 1 (ok I accidentally called a Sherman up the middle run and didn't realize it.... twice Sherman! Sherman! Sherman!)

McMahon: 293 of 423 for 4980 yards 71 tds 12 int 146.6 rating

Byars 136 1490 28

Sherman 29 361 8

Toney 1 41 0

Drummond 2 43 0

Barnett 29 1099 14

Williams 23 728 6

Quick 2 35 0

Kenny Jackson 19 283 2

Keith Jackson 52 900 13

If I moved Keith Jackson to WR before the playoffs he and McMahon probably would've put up much better stats.

Byron Evans 19 sacks

Andre Waters 15 sacks 1 interception

• 4 years later...