A case for the 1993 Raiders - fastest WR's for Snes TSB?

bitburgslim

Hi all,

In 1993 Tecmo had the Raiders with these WR's:

Timmy Brown - James Lofton (wtf) - Willie Gault ( played 3 games and cut) - and Alexander Wright

Now while Tecmo had it right these guys were on the roster, Gault never made it past the 4th week and Lofton was nonexistent.

The real 1993 Season had the Raiders go 10-6 and they went primarily with these 4 Wideouts:

Timmy B ( pro bowler that year) - James Jett ( an olympic gold medalist ) - Rocket Ismail - and A .Wright.

Whats significant here is that James Jett had a 23 yard per catch avg with 33 grabs - higher than even Super Bowl Champ Alvin Harper that year.

Now Yes, Tecmo didnt know James Jett would be able to catch at least as many balls as A. Harper but if only they couldve factored him in the game and his speed...

Alexander Wright while a junk receiver and Jett wouldve been given the same or maybe worse Sam Graddy receiving ratings, however he wouldve still had at least 63 MAX SPEED to mirror A-Wrights.

A. Wright was the NFLS fastest man winner around that time so it wouldve played out well.

Now for Rocket ( Hesiman trophy Winner) - most young whipper snappers have no clue how blinding Rockets speed was, and yes he went to Canada for a couple years but...he still grabbed 26 balls for 353 yards and 1 - 43 yard bomber that year. While hes not the most convincing WR his MAX SPEED shouldve been at least 56

So the real 1993 Raider Passing game in SNES had it had:

Jeff Hostetler - a decent passer with 56 PS 50 PC - Timmy B with 56 Receptions and 56 MAX speed - A. Wright - 63 MAX speed 19 rec, James Jett 63 Max 19 rec and Rocket MAX SPEED 63 ( yes 63 he was waaay faster than Brown ) with 19 REC - with those 4 WRS and their speed combined with condition changes they couldve really ran shop in snes 1993.

While I know this is all shoulda coulda woulda - Speed in video game football cant be denied

Any Objections or is this Case Closed?

You may want to write pro football reference and tell them Gault didn't play 15 games for the Raiders that year, as they have on their website. He started all 16 games for them the year before, so why wouldn't they put him on the roster (rosters were set in August according to the game)? Wright only caught 33 balls total in 3 seasons prior to starting 15 for the Raiders that year. How they let him play that much I'll never know..... Al Davis and speed.....

TSB II Special Edition has the 93 roster, so we can see without any need for specualtion exactly what they thought of the players you mention.

Wright: 63 MS 44 REC

Brown: 56 MS 63 REC

Jett: 69 MS 44 REC

Ismail: 63 MS 31 REC

A killer WR quartet to be sure. Probably the fastest ever. I know Jett was pretty awesome in TSB III. Hoss was a great QB for this team also, with 69 PS to gun the ball to the recievers and 25 ms to scramble, the opposing defenses were kinda screwed.

On an interesting side note, the Raider's 5th (backup) defensive lineman was Anthony Smith. He of the 69 MS. 56 44 69 50 13 19 75

TSB II Special Edition has the 93 roster, so we can see without any need for specualtion exactly what they thought of the players you mention.

Wright: 63 MS 44 REC

Brown: 56 MS 63 REC

Jett: 69 MS 44 REC

Ismail: 63 MS 31 REC

A killer WR quartet to be sure. Probably the fastest ever. I know Jett was pretty awesome in TSB III. Hoss was a great QB for this team also, with 69 PS to gun the ball to the recievers and 25 ms to scramble, the opposing defenses were kinda screwed.

Thanks Tom for pointing out TSB2, have to check that out now!

Thats an incredible amount of speed and the reception values combined with condition changes......sheesh I dont know if that set would be stoppable.. I remember seeing the Oilers WRs on TSB and thinking these guys are redonkulous - but with these 4...I know Brown is no Drew Hill - but this could be the best set of 4 WRs in all of Tecmo. Rice and Taylor were a great tandem with help from Jones but once again - if any of these at least catch the ball, with some nice moves its TDs and big plays all day.

bitburgslim,

You have to realize that player ratings in that game are based on 1992 performances. I recall the game coming out around Thanksgiving of 1993. The 1993 season was still in progress.

But this topic is interesting. I notice that the Raider receivers are quite fast. Kind of reminds you of Bo in the NES games. :wink:

Anyway, you can't really rely on them because their ratings for receptions are low.

Even in the Super NES version, Oilers receivers are still tops.

• 7 months later...
Hi all,

In 1993 Tecmo had the Raiders with these WR's:

Timmy Brown - James Lofton (wtf) - Willie Gault ( played 3 games and cut) - and Alexander Wright

Now while Tecmo had it right these guys were on the roster, Gault never made it past the 4th week and Lofton was nonexistent.

The real 1993 Season had the Raiders go 10-6 and they went primarily with these 4 Wideouts:

Timmy B ( pro bowler that year) - James Jett ( an olympic gold medalist ) - Rocket Ismail - and A .Wright.

Whats significant here is that James Jett had a 23 yard per catch avg with 33 grabs - higher than even Super Bowl Champ Alvin Harper that year.

Now Yes, Tecmo didnt know James Jett would be able to catch at least as many balls as A. Harper but if only they couldve factored him in the game and his speed...

Alexander Wright while a junk receiver and Jett wouldve been given the same or maybe worse Sam Graddy receiving ratings, however he wouldve still had at least 63 MAX SPEED to mirror A-Wrights.

A. Wright was the NFLS fastest man winner around that time so it wouldve played out well.

Now for Rocket ( Hesiman trophy Winner) - most young whipper snappers have no clue how blinding Rockets speed was, and yes he went to Canada for a couple years but...he still grabbed 26 balls for 353 yards and 1 - 43 yard bomber that year. While hes not the most convincing WR his MAX SPEED shouldve been at least 56

So the real 1993 Raider Passing game in SNES had it had:

Jeff Hostetler - a decent passer with 56 PS 50 PC - Timmy B with 56 Receptions and 56 MAX speed - A. Wright - 63 MAX speed 19 rec, James Jett 63 Max 19 rec and Rocket MAX SPEED 63 ( yes 63 he was waaay faster than Brown ) with 19 REC - with those 4 WRS and their speed combined with condition changes they couldve really ran shop in snes 1993.

While I know this is all shoulda coulda woulda - Speed in video game football cant be denied

Any Objections or is this Case Closed?

James Lofton (wtf) :D Who the hell is he, Kenny Lofton's brother?????? Yeah 2 different sports, but 2 fast muthas.