Sign in to follow this  
Knobbe

sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

I, generally, find truth stranger than fiction.

Fiction, typically, follows a pre-drafted set of plot conventions (much like the now archaic 'Well-made Play' template of dramatic literature: *see Victorien Sardou).

Truth, on the other hand, is generally only one representation of an individual's point-of-view. For our race (the human race) to generate 'truths' is to De facto create stranger experiences than the imagination's of a few by comparison. (Examples of past Truths: The World is Flat. The Earth revolves around the Sun. There is only one 'God'. We are the only intelligent life in this universe, etc.)

The philosophy of 'Truth' in its greater extent, is typically regarded as a minority belief by the world, meant to distinguish 'reality' from 'appearance', or to create 'realism', which was made popular by our Western culture. The problem is in the subjectivity of 'truth', and what we see as 'truth' is merely a type of sign or 'representation' (*see Ferdinand De Saussure). What most people attest to the concept of 'truth' is actually the feeling of catharsis they create in themselves when the combination of 'discovery' and 'understanding' are obtained through the PROCESS of acquiring this new sign or representation.

Not surprisingly, most people brought up in our culture like 'truths' because of the sense of security it provides them. We American's fuckin' love our 'security'! It's like a drug, and the 'fear pimps' in our media and government peddle it like smack in a dirty city.

you are strange, but interesting. Philosophy major? ;)

I, generally, find truth stranger than fiction.

Fiction, typically, follows a pre-drafted set of plot conventions (much like the now archaic 'Well-made Play' template of dramatic literature: *see Victorien Sardou).

Truth, on the other hand, is generally only one representation of an individual's point-of-view. For our race (the human race) to generate 'truths' is to De facto create stranger experiences than the imagination's of a few by comparison. (Examples of past Truths: The World is Flat. The Earth revolves around the Sun. There is only one 'God'. We are the only intelligent life in this universe, etc.)

The philosophy of 'Truth' in its greater extent, is typically regarded as a minority belief by the world, meant to distinguish 'reality' from 'appearance', or to create 'realism', which was made popular by our Western culture. The problem is in the subjectivity of 'truth', and what we see as 'truth' is merely a type of sign or 'representation' (*see Ferdinand De Saussure). What most people attest to the concept of 'truth' is actually the feeling of catharsis they create in themselves when the combination of 'discovery' and 'understanding' are obtained through the PROCESS of acquiring this new sign or representation.

Not surprisingly, most people brought up in our culture like 'truths' because of the sense of security it provides them. We American's fuckin' love our 'security'! It's like a drug, and the 'fear pimps' in our media and government peddle it like smack in a dirty city.

truth (in this-here context) means: not fiction.

(like, uhh, it really fucking happened)

so...stfu.

good?

;)

ps - maynard, please cite your references.

My references are in a fat, 1000+ page Norton Anthology on Literary Criticism and Theory sitting on my book shelf that I've read cover-to-cover, From Plato, to Trotsky, to Jacques Derrida. Highly recommended, especially if you're into, and comfortable with, the light-hearted hobby of questioning the very fabric of your existence, as codified by the way language sculpts any sense of foundation that you have to weigh whatever you perceive as 'reality' on. ;) ;)

Seriously, though. It's a fuckin' good book.

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Anthology- ... 0393974294

you are strange, but interesting. Philosophy major? ;)

B.F.A. in Theatre Direction and Performance, actually (director / actor / coach). ;) I took a Literary Theory and Criticism class one year in college that fucking blew my mind out of the water. In and of itself, the class was absurdly enlightening. Add to it that I was a major in a performance craft that is based on the usage of language, sounds, rhythm, the onomatopoetic nature of the English language as a whole, and it's many communicative qualities--and what you get is a whole 'lotta inspiration to fuck with society in every way that is striving to be positive and aspires for communal 'growth.'

I love the shit that I do and the ways that it affords my brain to think. Love it.

You see see why Tecmo is a necessary diversion at times in the type of work TSB offers me. I think balance, not moderation, is key to maintaining consistent and, more importantly, productive personal change. Editing Tecmo balances my 'chaos' side with 'order'. Right brain, left brain, kind of shit. Stats, facts, data, coding, architectural details, et al. Same with the Web page stuff.

The only other experience I've had messing with video games was editing a MOD for a PC game called Neverwinter Nights, that used an in-house derivative of C. I always wanted to make a game about Zombies. I finally got that wish. I fucking love Zombies. My game was like a B-movie horror flick, based in a Lord of the Rings setting. A few years ago I played through it. The dialogue (grammar / spelling) is more retarded than even I could have imagined, but I think it's still pretty amusing. I was never particularly interested in D&D shit, which is why I never vibed with that 'crew', especially while making the game--but I definitely enjoyed what I was creating.

Small Village Woes IGN affiliate download page: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=mo ... il&id=1979

Here's it's 'official' review (and I gotta say, this guy fuckin' nailed it): http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Re ... ail&id=264

I spent a year making that POS, from 2001 to 2002 while I lived in Seattle. I was 22 then, I think... ;)

Representationalism is dead. Truth is whatever proves itself to be good in the way of belief.

Define: "good."

I don't know, I was quoting William James. Knowing James, good is probably akin to what works so that we aren't led to further doubt, inaction, or uncertainty.

Like you, Tecmo was always kind of my distraction from getting my degree (M.A. in philosophy). However since I got it a few years back, I've found Tecmo harder to embrace because it no longer serves as that major distraction from me doing my readings or starting my next paper. Having seen you mention Literary Criticism, it's no wonder you mention guys like Derrida (who most people seem to have beef with in my experience) as guys who interest you. I can't speak much about them since I really didn't study any modern/po-mo French thinkers. I studied mostly German and American thinkers and focused more on epistemology and science than literary criticism (though I'm sure there's plenty of ways to draw a connection nowadays). Ironically, I did my MA thesis on the other great venerable semiotician next to de Saussure, which was C.S. Peirce (albeit not on semiotics).

First I make a post about the AFC where people are talking about the format and now I have one about 'Flash the flying dog' where people are talking about my Bad Religion inspired title.

Allow me to reciprocate!

I fucking love Zombies

The city of Lincoln, NE is hosting it's third annual Zombie Walk.

The strange part to me, besides the fact that there is such a thing as a zombie walk, is that one can also be a zombie victim.

However, so that you are not attacked unless you want it, you have to wear a big X which indicates that your brains are for the picking.

Now, what I want to know is, with props to Zombieland, is what are the rules for "Zombie Hunters"?

Can you go down town with a fake shot gun or Nerf bat and kill zombies?

Are there legal repercussions to such acts?

Can you only hunt friends that are zombies?

Will victims be pissed if you save them?

The most important question: will the zombies play along? Will they die? Would they be giant zombie hypocrites if they didn't lie down on a snowy Nebraska sidewalk and pretend to be the dead undead?

c014fba2-b38f-11de-b247-001cc4c002e0.preview-300.jpg?_dc=1254954086

First I make a post about the AFC where people are talking about the format and now I have one about 'Flash the flying dog' where people are talking about my Bad Religion inspired title.

A. Zombie Walk rules.

B. Bad Religion is awesome.

C. I would fuck someone up on that Zombie Walk, and I wouldn't think twice about it. I would go as "Ben", and karate chop a zombie's face, as seen in the Night of the Living Dead 90s remake.

Where is it written zombies must eat brains? Isn't it supposed to be simply flesh? I mean, lots of media get it right but the general mentality seems to still be that they need the brains. How can you kill the "undead"? And if you truly were "undead", wouldn't that double negative word simply mean you were alive? If the spread of the zombie "disease" as it were is the bite of another zombie, how would it be spread? "Undead" tissue and such would be mostly dried out so spittle and blood and other bodily fluids wouldn't mix into the victims bloodstream via the bite. But is it at first some airborne plague? Probably not, as the first zombies always seem to be the ones that have to rise from the grave. So we can deduce that the initial "disease" must be spreadable through the ground or groundwater. Something subterranean at least. What keeps the "undead" together? And why can various stages of the "undead" arise? Meaning you can bear witness to zombies in various stages of decomposure - why does it hit some long after it hits others? And of the ones that it obviously hit later, what holds all the body parts together? Serious zombies are probably no real threat has they have very little to hold them together. Again, some zombies can be seen to lose various body parts during their rampage. I would surmise that the slow lumbering gait of most zombies leaves ample time to for a potential victim to either leave the immediate area or grab something with which to severe/dismember/clobber the zombie until it can no longer truly be a menace. Hardcore zombie epidemics must really be rare because the only true victims would be totally panicked people. Granted, there would be quite a few. But saner heads i feel would eventually prevail. I believe that the only real reason some people lose out to the zombies is that they feel the gun is the answer. It's not. These things don't bleed, and unless you have a hand cannon or shot able to piece them apart you're not going to stop the corpse.

Zombies__eat_flesh__by_DJCandiDout.png.jpg

Zombies eating brains was made by the suits who produced Return of the Night of the Living Dead, which had nothing to do with George Romero's zombie flicks, or zombie lore, for that matter. That was the movie where the fake Michael Jackson from a fake Thriller outfit was bumped off. God I resent those 80s zombie movies.

That's why Zombieland was so great. IIRC, those "zombies" were very much alive, not undead. They simply had some highly contagious, flesh-eating, mind-warping disease that made them nearly impervious to pain. They could be killed as easily as a regular human, though. And since they were still human and alive spreading the disease through saliva or blood makes sense. The reason the plague wasn't stopped was because it seemed that people didn't realize what was going on until it was too late. People didn't take the threat seriously enough to take steps to protect themselves, as the movie shows people still working regular jobs and getting attacked. If people took it more seriously and went into survival mode the plague probably could have been easily contained and eliminated.

Excellent follow-up.

I was reading the comments in to the article that mostly read

1. How is this newsworthy?

2. Leave this kid alone

This asshole decided to dress up as a human breathalyzer, which makes him think that drunk driving is a joke.

He then decided to get drunk and drive.

This kid is clearly an asshole who should be known as "the human breathalyzer guy". While this is probably unfair, I would think it's much better than "the guy who killed some parents and left two orphans guy".