TSB with both 34 and 43 defenses

jstout

Thx. for this explanation buck. This is exactly what I was trying to express.. When you play this rom you can clearly see how some BLOCKING assignments were MODIFIED, so, I know you said youre not familiar with this hack, But, could you tell a way to find out where these "MODIFICATIONS" were set??

you'd have to ask jstout.  but I asked him already in this here thread see post #27 - http://tecmobowl.org/topic/11034-tsb-with-both-34-and-43-defenses/page-2#entry95636

Edited by buck

Ha!, This are the pointers I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

I guess this is what happens when you dont read all posts from a thread... sorry

no problem, man!  that is probably the particular post that knobbe should have been pointed to, too.

• 1 year later...

That is correct, 2 sections for both. The offense has altered blocking and less than 5 plays had the ballcarrier's route adjusted so they didn't run constantly into the OL.

If the plays are merely reordered with no design changes then nothing with the playbook needs to be copied. If there are design changes then the locations are x4010-xC00F and x44010-x4C00F. The offense is x4010-x500F and x8010-xA00F with the equivalent x44010-x4500F and x48010-x4A00F. The defense is x6010-x800F and xA010-xC00F with the equivalent x46010-x4800F and x4A010-x4C00F. Obviously you'd need to change the code in the 43 section to produce the 43 defense.

I'm still looking if there is an easy way to patch this for any rom with no play design changes. At the moment, I can get a generic IPS that would require one copy and paste with a hex editor but nothing too hard.

Attached is the info I used to create the 43 defense as well as the original play design. Using the included CC65 programs, a nes file gets created that is pasted into the rom. This also may be helpful to anyone that edits plays. I can help make some sense of the info if needed.

Couldn't the same sort of logic be used to add an addition year of rosters to a rom?

After expanding the rom you add name, attribute and sim data.

You then change the pointer via the menu that CXrom built.  This also resets season data.

• 2 weeks later...

Patching the rom won't work right. The simplest method is with a hex editor doing below.

First make a copy of the 28_2D rom.

COPY from YOUR ROM: x0 to x4000F

PASTE to COPY OF 2D ROM: x0 to x4000F and SAVE

COPY from YOUR ROM: x3C010 to x6000F

PASTE to COPY OF 2D ROM: x7C010 to xA000F and SAVE

Shortcut.

Do the above.

Then apply this patch

4-3patch.zip

• 4 months later...

Just out of curiosity is there anyone out there with a lot of experience playing games with a 4-3 defense and how it effects the game play?

I'm still looking for more info about gameplay, specifically how the DEs act in the 4-3. When I typically translate a 4-3 defense to the 3-4 of Tecmo, I make the best DE an OLB in the tradition of Lawrence Taylor on the original, where they often have a clear lane to the QB. These are guys with a lot of sacks, so in the game the OLB position is an ideal spot. It works much better than sticking premier pass-rushers into a DE spot, where in Tecmo they are almost useless. 

So my question is basically, in this new 4-3 formation, do either of the DEs have a clear lane to the QB on most plays the way the OLBs do in the 3-4?

Actually the 3-4 OLB's get very few sacks either man controlled or otherwise in tecmo...without any hacks... but I do the same thing as you.

Compared to the DL they do. Lawrence Taylor is much more effective than Bruce Smith. Kevin Greene is better than Howie Long.

I finally managed to get set up to play roms where I am, and I play-tested this a little. It's as I feared. The DEs on the 4-3 act exactly like DEs on a 3-4. I played half a game with the Giants, and it's much easier to control Kiwanuka than either Strahan or Umenyiora. The two best players on the team are effectively negated, and if you want to use a front 7 player your best option ends up being Mathias Kiwanuka. It looks pretty cool, I just think the original plays better, even if it's not really the right formation in a lot of cases.

• 1 month later...

I dont know if you mean "change" OF-FORMATIONS like this:

TSB_2D-0.png

I dont know what exactly TSBTool does when "loading" a rom and "saving" it (it sends a warning message saying somethings wrong, but it "manages" to save it anyway)

I guess, for this Rom, it has something to do with the "extended" size.

But If yow Want to change between OF-formations (Pro/ 1Rb-4Wr/ 1Rb-3Wr-1Te), you can apply the "patch"(hack) that jstout posted (somewhere around):

At x21642 input: 8AA66EBCD09FAA4C5096 * (this will redirect to a NEW TEAMS' FORMATION at x21FE0)

so, At x21FE0 it will be the NEW FORMATION SETUP for the Teams. In BUF-ATL order, so you will input 28 offset-bytes for each team and the NEXT 2 for AFC/NFC (00=pro/ 01=4wr / 02=3wr-1te)

E.g. if you want the Bills to have 4Wrs - 1RB, input the value 01 at offset x21FE0, and so on for the rest of the teams..

Then, at x30FF8 input: 8AA66EBC709EAAC001F011C002F0134CFE8F * (this will redirect to x31E80, where PLAYERS' POSITION (WR,RB,TE) is assigned for the NEW FORMATION )

so, At x31E80 it will assign the CORRECT position for each NEW FORMATION SETUP. Again: BUF-ATL order. (00=pro, 01=4wr, 02=3wr-1te)

This is recommended because you dont want to see your 2nd RB (Mueller, for the example) shown as a RB, Now he will be shown as a WR:

So, Yow will have to input (copy) the same 28 + 2 values you enterd before, but now at offset x31E80.

E.g. So now input the value 01 at offset x31E80, (corresponding the Bills) and youll see:

TSB_2D-2.png TSB_2D-1.png

Anyone know how to apply this on the 32 team ROM? Seems like there's already something different going on in these locations in the 32.

• 6 months later...

It's sort of buried in there, here is the answer

Anyone know how to apply this on the 32 team ROM? Seems like there's already something different going on in these locations in the 32.

Yeah, I didn't want to modify any of the teams on the roms strictly for ease.

Because of the rom expansion, the location of the NFC West teams is in a different location. I haven't checked TSBTool but odds are if you copy x3F000-x4000F and paste it at x7F000-x8000F then it will fix your problems.

Edit: Verified that this will fix the NFC West after rom editing with TSBTool

• 1 year later...