NES Play Design Info

jstout

xCD, xCE, xCF. The commands work in the same way (xCD, xCE and xCF) but after a Set Block (xFD) command xCD/xCE/xCF will break from the run path to block a player found along the way. 

Relative means the movement is relative to the current location the player is at. Like move forward 10 yards from where the player is at. 

Ball placement and middle of field are slightly different absolute corrdinate systems. Using middle of the field commands the players will always move to the same location on the field. With ball placement it will depend on where the ball is being snapped from. 

xCD, xCE, xCF. The commands work in the same way (xCD, xCE and xCF) but after a Set Block (xFD) command xCD/xCE/xCF will break from the run path to block a player found along the way. 

Relative means the movement is relative to the current location the player is at. Like move forward 10 yards from where the player is at. 

Ball placement and middle of field are slightly different absolute corrdinate systems. Using middle of the field commands the players will always move to the same location on the field. With ball placement it will depend on where the ball is being snapped from. 

Thank you.  So, this is involved in programming "heat seek" blocking?  Where a blocker will "block whoever" gets in their path?

I am trying to figure out how to program WRs to block anyone that they come across (not just assigned CBs and Safeties)

That is correct. They will "pull" away from their assigned path to block if one of the assigned defenders is close. Its a bitwise assignment.

what if you want any defender they come across to be blockable?  FF?

Now, I'm a bit more confused about the difference between xC7 and xCA. The first post in this thread lists the following:

xC7 = COM Jump To (Pointer)
xC8 = COM Jump To (Pointer, Random)
xCA = COA/COM Jump To (Pointer)

drunk_honkey mentions that xC7 uses a pointer (2 bytes) with a condition (1 Byte) and only applies to COA. If that's actually the case, can someone (jstout or a mod) update the first thread so that it shows that's the case?

Now, I'm a bit more confused about the difference between xC7 and xCA. The first post in this thread lists the following:

xC7 = COM Jump To (Pointer)

xC8 = COM Jump To (Pointer, Random)

xCA = COA/COM Jump To (Pointer)

drunk_honkey mentions that xC7 uses a pointer (2 bytes) with a condition (1 Byte) and only applies to COA. If that's actually the case, can someone (jstout or a mod) update the first thread so that it shows that's the case?

Let me get back to you when I get home. I may have mixed some things up. I was going off the top of my head. Might be switched. Ive never seen CA used...

But im almost 100% sure C7 is used by coa mode. It may not have the conditional byte after all. Its been a while since ive screwed around with the default coding.

Edited by drunken_honkey

• 1 year later...

For the m2m commands (x00-x1f), does the game stop processing instructions after that command?

I'm looking at xb9db (a portion of the defensive reaction x13 for the bottom middle linebacker): 27 D8 B9 02 0A 27 DD B9 03 0A 27 E2 B9...

27 D8 B9 // 57% chance to jump to xb9e8
02 0a // m2m RB2
27 DD // <------- Does this get executed? Or, does the game stop after it hit the previous m2m command (x02)?

Edited by averagetsbplayer

The command format is

x00 to x0A = m2m Player (Time) where 00= cover forever

x11 to x1A = m2m Player (Time)

I think you meant 0xB9DB. Anyways you will only reach that code if you are playing the COM because the start of the LILB command is 

LILB B4EE: SetPosFromHike(00 18); 2pt; C8-JumpTo B9CB-07,  D8-MoveAbsolute(18 08); D8-MoveAbsolute(18 18); F4-Turn(3C); F5-Wait(1E 8C); JumpTo AABC:FC(FF E0); DD-PassRush; LoopBack FC// 

THe C8 command only gets executed if you are playing vs COM/COA

Lets assume you are for the sake of your question. In that case the m2m RB will continue to get executed for a period of time 02 0A is the time argument of the man to man command. It's hard to say exactly how long 0x0A is in frames or seconds. It won't always be the same as there is some variance in the man to man logic. So after a certain period of time it should go to the next command provided you haven't passed the ball already. 

Yup thats correct. I just forced this to happen by making C8 an FF to always jump to it and made every pass defense a 0x13 defense.

You can see him moving between different players.

In fact in one of my custom defenses I designed I did something like this with the saftey where he will rotate coverage between players

So, hypothetically, we could see that linebacker switch between covering WR2, RB2, TE1, WR1, RB1 all on one long play?

if you go far enough in a season vs COM, you start to see this happen all the time (a COM defender running all over covering different receivers during a pass play)

• 8 months later...

I'm getting into formation hacking, been able to do stuff like making WR1 SE on every play, moving RBs closer to each other in split back sets and changing stances.

The key was understanding how to get from the formation pointers to the actual locations. (Swap bytes, subtract hex value x2000, add hex value x10, etc.)

Now I want to try play hacking, maybe just starting with decreasing take sack chances for pass plays, but can't figure out how to get from pointer to location.

Let's take Pro T Flare D for example. From Bruddog's Playbook Hackers Guidebook I got this:

9FB3 C2BD 87BA A8BA B5BA C6BD 99BE ACBE BBBE CABE D9BE

I get that 9FB3 is the pointer to the QB for that play (right?). But how do I go from there to the actual location?

Ah, great!

When hacking formations on a rom with 4-3 defense the same changes has to be made at hex location with added hex value x40000. I did take a quick look at x93AF and then at x493AF. There seems to be a similar line if hex value x40002 is added, at x493B1.

That's why I've never tried play hacking before, since I couldn't get it to work on 4-3 roms. Got to try it out now.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of questions

Did you ever figure out the difference between the DA and DD commands? I seem to remember on the "run Rush" the players took more direct lines while in DD they adjusted to the ball carrier more.

What is the difference between the CC block command and the Set to block command? Does the CC command just make the person block the closest available player?

What are the units for boost? Like if I wanted to boost MS two notches what the following byte be?

What do the Pull commands do?

Is there any differnce between the two different man-to-man commands?

The 00-0A saves 0 to A while 10-1A saves 80 to 8A and the codes merge then shortly branch off onto very similar codes (not sure the difference yet). Observation-wise, both m2m numbers worked the same on the field.

Did you ever figure this out Bruddog?

Did you ever figure this out Bruddog?

I posted the commented source for it above..... basically the difference is that the player will start slowing down within 1.25 yards of the target using the 0x00-0x0A command and will start slowing down within 2 yards when using the 0x10-0x1A command

I posted the commented source for it above..... basically the difference is that the player will start slowing down within 1.25 yards of the target using the 0x00-0x0A command and will start slowing down within 2 yards when using the 0x10-0x1A command

It might have helped had I read the comments.