How to play Tecmo Super Bowl on your Wii [Tutorial]

Hush7

I've decide to throw together a quick guide for those of you who would like to play some TSB on your Wii console, but might not know how to go about getting it up and running...

What you'll need [this tutorial works for NTSC-U.S. consoles only]:

Wii console [mod-chipped or not, it does not matter for this hack]

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game [if you don't own it, try renting it or borrowing it from a friend, if your console is mod-chipped, you can also use a burned copy]

SD Card [fits in the slot on the front of your Wii, should be 2GB or less, a microSD with adapter will also work]

These files -----> http://www.mediafire.com/?viy9e07hkh2

Your PC [and a way to read the SD card and copy the above files to it]

Tecmo Super Bowl Wad file [see my other thread in this forum]

Step by step instructions:

1. Download the archived files above. Extract the archive and place everything contained in the root of your SD card [root should contain "private" folder, "wad" folder, and "boot.elf" file].

2. Download one of my Tecmo Super Bowl wad files [again, see other thread in this forum] and place it inside of the "wad" folder on your SD card. Your SD card now has all of the files needed for the installation.

Please note: Before completing the next step [3] of the process, you will need to start up the Zelda game once [if you have not played it previously] and create a profile allowing it to create a regular save file on your Wii's internal memory. This must be done before copying the "Twilight Hack" save file from the SD Card. Warning: If you have already previously played Zelda and you don't want to lose your progress, please backup your current save at this time or it will be overwritten by the Twilight Hack. Now, on to step three...

3. Insert your prepared SD card into the front SD slot [behind the small panel that opens] and turn on your Wii. Click on Wii Options\Data Management\Save Data\Wii, and then click "SD Card" on the upper right. You should see the "Twilight Hack" save icon, click on it and copy it to your Wii's internal memory. Once the data has been successfully copied, back out to the Wii main menu.

4. Insert the Twilight Princess game disc and start it up like a normal game. You will see two different save profiles, each one is compatible with a different version of the Zelda disc. Try the top one first [you might need to reboot and try the second one if it doesn't work]. The game should load and you will see Link on screen. Press down on the nunchuck's joystick to make Link walk toward the camera, the game will appear to crash and the Wad Manager will load.

5. Once the Wad Manager has loaded, press "1" on your Wii remote to read from the SD Card. You should see the Tecmo Super Bowl Wad filename you copied to the "wad" folder earlier. Select it and press "+" and then "A" on your Wii remote to start the installation, it will take a few seconds to finish.

6. Once you see a message saying the installation was successful, press "A" again, and then simply hold down the power button on your Wii to power down [optionally, you can remove the SD card at this time, but you'll need it if you want to run the hack again]. Power back on, and you should see the Tecmo Super Bowl channel on your Wii menu!!!!

Note: If you want to install a new Wad [for roster updates and such] you will need to uninstall the old Wad first by following the above steps again, and pressing "-" during step five to uninstall the old Wad. Then return the SD card to your computer, delete old Wad file, copy new Wad file over, and repeat the above process once again. Warning: Uninstalling an old Wad will automatically delete your saved data, so you will want to finish a season in progress before updating to a new Wad.

I hope this process makes sense. If you have any questions or need more help, please post in your reply.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

***WARNING***

Every time you add/remove a Wii channel through a hack you run the risk of bricking your Wii. From what I've found, Nintendo's code for the Wii's dashboard is VERY finicky. I would recommend using Homebrew Channel and an NES Emulator instead. You will run a much lower chance of bricking your Wii, since you only have to add this channel once. This way you can also have and play as many versions of the rom as you want.

Go Here for more detailed info on modifying your Wii through software.

Just make sure you read all the info and know what you're getting into.

That being said...playing Tecmo Super Bowl with my Wii (or XBOX) on my 50" Sony is AWESOME! :D

***WARNING***

Every time you add/remove a Wii channel through a hack you run the risk of bricking your Wii. From what I've found, Nintendo's code for the Wii's dashboard is VERY finicky. I would recommend using Homebrew Channel and an NES Emulator instead. You will run a much lower chance of bricking your Wii, since you only have to add this channel once. This way you can also have and play as many versions of the rom as you want.

Go Here for more detailed info on modifying your Wii through software.

Just make sure you read all the info and know what you're getting into.

That being said...playing Tecmo Super Bowl with my Wii (or XBOX) on my 50" Sony is AWESOME! :D

This is actually a pretty good call as I have been using FCE Ultra 2.0.6 (its on Wiibrew.org) to play Tecmo and other NES games on the Wii as of late instead of installing the individual channel because of the risks you mentioned. I have been keeping the TSB channel updated in the other thread for others just as a hobby though...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...