Feb. 4th Tourney, Waterloo Iowa

smoolorf

Spicolies Reverb Rock Garden in Waterloo will be having a Super Tecmo tourney and chili cook off on Feb 4th the Saturday before the superbowl. Im not sure about all the details yet but last year there we about 30 guys who played, it was double elimination, and any one was invited to be a chili judge so you don't have to worry about food if you like chili. I do not believe it cost anything to play in the tourney last year and there was a pay out for first, second and third. But i think there are talking about a 5 or 10 dollar entry fee so the pay out will be more. Spicolies facebook page has not posted anything yet but i have talked to the organizer and will post more information as the date approaches!

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from this website inquiring about the tournament in waterloo so i will just post the reply i sent.

I do not have much new information at this time, i can tell you what i know from last year.

An outside group of guys used the Rock club Spicolies as a host of a private tournament last year. About thirty guys. This motivated Spicolies to have there own bar run tecmo super bowl tournament, which about twenty five guys showed up for. This year the guys from the private tournament are planning on coming to the Spicolies run tourney, so it could be anywhere from 30 to 60 guys hopefully.

Both tournaments were run the same way as far a team picking is concerned, which differs from madison rules. There are 4 or 5 tiers of teams, about 4 or 5 teams to a tier. A coin is flipped and the winner draws a card, which determines which tier the teams will be picked from. The coin flip winner then chooses which team he wants to be first, the loser then gets to pick from the remaining teams in the tier. If my memory is correct coin flip looser gets to choose 1player or 2player. It was a double elimination tournament and playbook changes were allowed last year. Im not sure if it will be the same this year. I was talking to the bar owner this week, and he was talking about doing original playbooks in the interest of fairness for people that havent played in some time. He played in it last year but two others guys who worked there organized it, so play books seem to be up in the air right now. No lurching with the nose tackle.

There was no preregistering last year, people just showed up and when signup was over they drew up a double elimination bracket, drew spots and went from there. It was free to get in last year, i won it and got 60$, and three places paid. But it sounds like they are going to do a 5 or 10 dollar entry fee so the payout will be greater and to more places i would assume. I will try and press them on more of the details about time and rules this week or early next week and get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to Rob last night and signup is at 3pm and play starts at 4pm. Double elimination. Playbook changes are allowed, teams will be chosen from a predetermined set up tiers, coin flip will decide who gets first choice of team. No lurching. 5$ to play, and if you live some distance away you can register by calling the bar http://www.facebook.com/events/233288223420729/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all that showed up and participated at Spicolies 2nd annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tourney and Chili cook off. There was some competitive and vocal players there and it was nice to seem some people from last year came out again. We had 26 players and the autographed scott norwood jersey had to be the coolest thing i saw there.

Results 4th place Blake from Cedar Falls, 3rd place Barry from Cedar Rapids, 2nd place Steve from Cedar Rapids, 1st Place Adam from Cedar falls.

I didn't hear who one the Chili contest but chili letter C was my fav

Thanks to all that showed up and participated at Spicolies 2nd annual Tecmo Super Bowl Tourney and Chili cook off. There was some competitive and vocal players there and it was nice to seem some people from last year came out again. We had 26 players and the autographed scott norwood jersey had to be the coolest thing i saw there.

Results 4th place Blake from Cedar Falls, 3rd place Barry from Cedar Rapids, 2nd place Steve from Cedar Rapids, 1st Place Adam from Cedar falls.

I didn't hear who one the Chili contest but chili letter C was my fav

Aren't you Adam from Cedar Falls?