play By play and advanced stat program test release

bruddog

Here is a beta version of my play by play and advanced stat generator:

stat program and documents.zip

There are likely still bugs but please help me test it. Upon completion of the gameit will generate

1. A master comma separted stat file where each line is represents one play. Except for extra points

2. A text play by play account of the game

3. A offensive and defensive player stat comma separated stat file (has new stats like tackles, targets yards after catch).

4. A play call percentage text file

How to use the program:

SETUP ( THE PROGRAM WILL NOT WORK AT ALL IF THESE STEPS AREN"T DONE)

1. Follow my included document for changing the command to save a state in Nestopia. The quick save state command

must be changed from shift+1 to 1.

2. Make sure the rom is located in the same directory as where your save states go. You might have to change the path in nestopia options so that the save state files go in the same paths as your rom. I can fix this annoyance in the future.

I have included two different .jar files. One for movies and on for running during game play.

RUNNING

NON-WINDOWS 7 or VISTA users:

1. Have nestopia up an running with the game paused or stopped.

2. Double click the appropriate .jar file.

2. Select the rom to be used.

3. Answer the questions

4. Move the Debug window off to wherever you want it

5. Select the Nestopia window and unpause if necessary. NESTOPIA MUST BE THE ACTIVE WINDOW OR THE PROGRAM WILL PAUSE.

WINDOWS 7 or VISTA users.

For step 2 you will have to create a batch file to open the -jar file. You will have to run the batch file with admin privileges.

Please post any problems or incorrect stats. I will be out of town but will try and check in. If you are interested in the java source code post here or send me a PM. I included a glossary for the master stat file

THINGS TO FIX:

Play by play grammar and word spacing

Use final coverage check to determine if player was open for play by play text

See if there is a way to check for a throw to a fallen WR.

See if function that checks for open WR's can be improved.

Time of possession function is wrong for overtime

Things to add:

Player condition by quarter.

Drive summary report

Play effectiveness report

Should the output box being showing output while you're running? Mine currently isn't which makes me think that it wasn't working.

It didn't seem to be able to unpause the game as well

Hey fats...you should definitely give this a try for the Com V Com league

Sorry, I just read this thread and like Bodom will have to re-read it ten times. I'm not going to add this to the TBO to-do-list right now but Bodom doing it in Season 3 sounds cool if he's up for it. I've saved state after every single game in Season 2 but doubt I'll do anything with them.

Yes, it should be showing the output. It's delayed by one play. So after the play is over it will dump all the output from the previous play. In the case of scoring a TD you have to wait until the ball has been kicked off.

The program doesn't unpause the game. The program pause message comes up if nestopia loses focus and its reading the same save state over and over. It gives you 3 seconds to give focus back to nestopia.

Should the output box being showing output while you're running? Mine currently isn't which makes me think that it wasn't working.

Hey fats...you should definitely give this a try for the Com V Com league

Sorry, I just read this thread and like Bodom will have to re-read it ten times. I'm not going to add this to the TBO to-do-list right now but Bodom doing it in Season 3 sounds cool if he's up for it. I've saved state after every single game in Season 2 but doubt I'll do anything with them.

I'll figure it out and school you....basically you can run this thing while you're simming or even after and it will generate the play by play!

Yes, it should be showing the output. It's delayed by one play. So after the play is over it will dump all the output from the previous play. In the case of scoring a TD you have to wait until the ball has been kicked off.

The program doesn't unpause the game. The program pause message comes up if nestopia loses focus and its reading the same save state over and over. It gives you 3 seconds to give focus back to nestopia.

i tried it on win7 and xp but for some reason it's not generating any output in the debug window.

so not surprisingly, no output text file(s) generated either.

i did follow the instructions exactly, but maybe i'm missing something...

fyi, i've been trying to use the movie version jar file.

the time stamp of the save state file isn't changing so i'm guessing that is the root of the problem.

shouldn't it be overwritten continuously and therefore timestamp should be up to the minute?

when successful, are the output files also saved to the 'states' directory?

or are the ouput files dumped to where the jar file is located?

should the jar file also be in the states directory?

i'm guessing some of the file location(s) may not matter but i don't know what else might be causing it to fail on both my computers. brud's conditions checker program works fine for me on both win7 & xp.

have any other of us beta testers got it to work yet?

this is gonna be truly awesome. thanks for doing this brud.

I know a couple people have gotten it working. Here are basic things that could make it not work especially if you say the timestamp of the

save state isn't changing.

1. MAKE SURE THE ROM is in the same location as the save state path. Right now the program generates the save state path based on the rom path.

Example: if the rom is in C:\nestopia. Make sure the save state path in nestopia's OPTIONS-->PATHS-->SAVE SATES is also set to C:\nestopia

2. Make sure that pressing the 1 button forces a save state into that location.

3. Make sure the nestopia application has focus. If nestopia isn't the active window, it won't work. Once the program is running properly, if you change focus to a different window the program will pause and ask you to give nestopia focus again.

The movie file version saves at a rate of 0.025 seconds. It is meant to use with the speed setting turned up to 240fps.

The in game version saves at a rate of 0.125 seconds. It is meant to be used with the fps setting at 60fps.

thanks for your help the other day brud.

beta version seems to be working pretty well now.

i've tested on a few different movie files and it usually keeps working throughout entire playback.

the only times it has stopped working so far for me seems to be sometimes during/right after a cutscene.

then after 'u' for unpause it starts working ok again.

btw, the export file that gets created after the game is finished (e.g. tpc_original.nesPBPmatrix.csv / [ROM]PBPmatrix.csv) is incredible! a lot of cool stats there. a few of my favorites are FUMBLES, PASSES DEFENSED, BL (called plays) and SNAPS (which defensive player was used for each play!). cool how yards are broken down each drive for RUN, PASS and even QB SCRAMBLES. but there are way too many other cool stats tracked to mention here. wow!

a lot of the following STATS from the MATRIX file are self explanatory, but some are a little cryptic.

i commented with questions on a few below...

any chance you could annotate a few of the less obvious ones here?

//basic information
GAME_DATE_MAT
PLAY_INDEX_MAT
QTR_MAT
TIM_MAT
HOME_SCORE_MAT
AWAY_SCORE_MAT
SCORE_CHANGE_MAT
SCORE_CHANGE_VALUE_MAT // value of having the ball at that yardline for the game
SCOREDIFF_MAT
POSS_MAT // current possession 0= home 1= away
DOWN_MAT
TO_GO_MAT
YARDS_AWAY_MAT= yards from endzone

//drive indicators
REDZONE_MAT
DRV_STRT_MAT
DRV_END_MAT
DRV_YRDS_GAIN_MAT = 16;

//play call stats
HOME_CALL_MAT
AWAY_CALL_MAT
BLITZ_MAT
MATCH_MAT // what does this one track? related to above blitz/called play?
RUN_CALL_MAT
PASS_CALL_MAT
DEF_CALL_MAT 0 = run, 1= pass
FG_ATT_MAT
PUNT_MAT

// play result information
DEFENDER_USED_MAT = defender slected at snap
FINAL_BALLCAR_MAT = last player with the ball
FIRST_DOWN_MAT
STOP_DWN_MAT
PLAY_YARDS_MAT
RUN_YARDS_MAT
QBRUN_YARDS_MAT
PASS_YARDS_MAT
PLY_SUC_MAT = successful play as defined by advanced nfl stats.com. Typically its about 50% of the yardage needed for a first down.
TACKLEDBY_MAT

//type of score
FG_MAT
OFF_TD_MA
RUN_TD_MAT
PASS_TD_MAT
KR_TD_MAT
PR_TD_MAT
DEF_TD_MAT

//negative play results
SACK_MAT
FUMBLER_MAT
FUMBLEFORCE_MAT
FUMBLE_MAT
FUMBLE_KEPT
FUM_LOST_MAT
FUM_OOB_MAT
FUM_RECOVERER_MAT
TURNOVER_MAT
INT_MAT
INT_FUMBLE_MAT

//advanced running stats
RUN_OOB_MAT
GRAPPLE_MAT
BROKEN_GRAPPLE_MAT
YARDS_AFTER1ST_GRAPPLE_MAT
//advaacnced receiving stats
YARDS_AFTERCATCH_MAT
// advanced passing stats
TARGET_MAT // is this just the intended receiver?
TOTAL_TARGETS_MAT
OPEN_TARGETS_MAT
PASS_BLOCKED_MAT =
PASS_DROP_MAT
PASS_ATT_MAT
TARGET_COVERAGE_MAT // how about this one?
PASS_DEFENSED_MAT
PASS_OOB_MAT
PASS_MISTHROW_MAT
PASS_COMPLETE_MAT
PASS_COMPFUMB_MAT
PASS_JJ_MAT
PASS_DISTANCE_MAT
PASS_LOCATION_MAT // 1 = top, 2 = middle, 3= bottom, 4= OOB
PASS_INT_MAT
PASS_JJINT_MAT

//Drive stats
DRV_RUN_MAT
DRV_RUNY_MAT
DRV_PASS_PLY_MAT
DRV_PASS_ATT_MAT
DRV_PASS_COM_MAT
DRV_PASS_YARD_MAT
DRV_QBRUN_YARD_MAT
DRV_FD_RUN_MAT
DRV_FD_PASS_MAT
DRV_FD_SCRAM_MAT
DRV_FD_TOTAL_MAT
DRV_TOP_MAT // time of possession for that drive
DRV_RESULT_MAT // 1= stop on downs, 2 = TD, 3= FG, 4= punt, 5 = Turnover, 6= defensive TD, 7= FG Miss, 10=no result

//kickoff stats
KICKOFF_MAT= 89;
KICK_TEAM_MAT= 90;
ONSIDE_KICK_MAT= 91;
KICKOFF_YARDLINE_MAT= 92;
KICKRET_DISTANCE_MAT= 93;
KICKRET_OOB_MAT= 94;
KICKRET_FUM_MAT= 95;
KICK_FUMANDONSIDESRECOV_MAT= 96;

MATCH- this racks if both players select he same type of play but don't match exactly.Example if you pick run 1 and the defender picks run 3 it would put a 1 in this collumn.

TARGET- this is the intended receiver. it starts in theory from 0 for QB 1 all the way up to 11 for TE2

TARGET COVERAGE- the umber of defenders within 2 yards when the ball reaches the intended target.

PASSCOMPFUM - a 1 s put in this collumn if the pass is completed but then fumbled away

Update coming soon within a week.

MAJOR ADDS:

1. Current win probability for home team in play by play and master stat matrix.

2. Logging of actual play name selected for each play

3. Logging of formation for each play

4. Logging of player condition for each quarter

MINOR:

1. Add sack yards lost for qb, add sack yards generated by defender

2. Add assisted tackles

3. Various play by play logic fixes and program bugs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

WINDOWS 7 or VISTA users.

For step 2 you will have to create a batch file to open the -jar file. You will have to run the batch file with admin privileges.

I'm running Windows 7, but I'm not sure how to do this step - I've double-clicked without this step, and the program is opened (Java), but no data is recorded, time stamp unchanged, etc.. I've followed the path instructions and changed the save state command, so it appears this is the problem. How do I create the batch file? Thanks...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AIM me sometime...this version is super outdated. I have one that does not cause lag

I can't recall off the top of my head...is the updated one on the site somewhere?  If so, I'll redirect the top post

just a few notes of my own on the original.  The Brudtopia version of Nestopia didn't seem to be able to quicksave using 1.  I updated to 1.40 from their site and resolved my save game problem.  Still working on getting the original working.