Contacting Tecmo Programmers....

Rod, I noticed you posted a message in the old Forum asking Tecmo for some information about their Programmers...

I watched the ending credits of TSB and noticed Akihiko Shimoji is the programmer of the game. I did a search for him on Yahoo and couldn't find much. I did notice that he also programmed Tecmo Soccer in 96'...so he may still be on the planet today.

I E-Mailed Tecmo Inc. asking them if there was a way I could get in contact with Akihiko earlier today, and I am still waiting for a reply. If you know an E-Mail address that can get a response quickly from Tecmo, then go ahead and try as well.

Sorry for trying to answer your life long dream. :cry:

If I actually get a programmer to answer questions because of that post I'll make you an award....

P.S. Actually the idea to post that was because of a conversation I had with TecmoTimes and the need to bump the locked topics of the top of that board....

• 2 weeks later...

this name... Akihiko Shimoji ....is the name of a god. Or at least a god of the gaming community. The man made Monster Rancher AND Tecmo Football??????? Unbelievable. The only name I can think up that surpasses him in Video Game Greatness is the one and only Will Wright. :cry:

• 13 years later...

I just spoke to Larry Hutcherson who was hired by Tecmo mid 1989, and eventually worked a bit on TSB.  

He says he doesn't have contact anymore with the Japanese programmers from those days, but said Tecmo didn't treat the programmers very well, and eventually they lost their best programmers to other companies.  He said this came not too long after TSB was released.  That may be part of why Tecmo wouldn't have any info on how to track these guys down...it was not an amicable split.   

On a side onte, I forgot to get clarification if this was TSB or not, but he said there's a really subtle bug on the kickoff as its different between player 1 and player 2....the ball doesn't fly right or the same  for player 2 when its kicked off, as it does for player 1 once its kicked.  

Tecmo music composer Keiji Yamagishi has started producing 8-bit type music again.  He put together the music for Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl

He operated under the aliases More Yamasan and K.Y. Jet.

An interview with Keiji - http://koopa.tv/a-conversation-with-keiji-yamagishi/

Here are the albums - Retro Active Pt 1 - Retro Active Pt 1 - Remixed

I believe he plans on make 3 of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
19 hours ago, ragu0012 said:

And no, these guys don't speak English! The translating has been the biggest challenge. 

That sucks.  I have some pretty in-depth questions that wouldn't be easy to translate.  Hutcherson who didn't work on the original TB (but a little on TSB) had a few interesting thoughts that I wish I could follow up on.  There's multiple critical strategic ploys we use on the original TB that I always assumed were just the genius of those programmers..  He thought that stuff like invoking pass coverage help from the CPU, and the deal where I can get Karl mecklenberg/Steve McMichael/etc to be "unblocked" on a particular run play were actually glitches!  

A ton of my study on TB is based off this defensive reactions stuff.....so while it doesn't diminish any of that knowledge, it still makes me feel a tad empty to know that this mega important stuff might have just been the product of an accident!  

Talking to Hutcherson was like the Prometheus movie.  I went for answers, but ended up with more questions.

Hutcherson also said that the goal to appeal to everyone was to make it so the worst teams could compete fairly well in the game....but while I think that's somewhat true in the original TB, it seems like the level of disparity from best to worse is far greater in TSB.  With evenly skilled tournament champion level players, could one of them routinely take New England and hang with the Bills, or 49ers???  I don't know enough about TSB, but it just seems that it would often be a whooping.     

9 hours ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Hutcherson also said that the goal to appeal to everyone was to make it so the worst teams could compete fairly well in the game....but while I think that's somewhat true in the original TB, it seems like the level of disparity from best to worse is far greater in TSB.  With evenly skilled tournament champion level players, could one of them routinely take New England and hang with the Bills, or 49ers???  I don't know enough about TSB, but it just seems that it would often be a whooping.     

I think parity is important on TB because there are only 12 teams.  But with 28 on TSB, there are more matchup options, so you can still find competitive matchups among the lower tier teams.

On 1/23/2016 at 0:58 PM, ragu0012 said:

The way they explained to me was that Tomie was primarily responsible for the aspects of the game that interest most of us the most… Such as why is Bo Jackson so damn good. Shimoji as the programmer was mostly responsible for making Tomie's vision a reality. 

Just great, looking forward to this!

On 1/23/2016 at 0:58 PM, ragu0012 said:

The way they explained to me was that Tomie was primarily responsible for the aspects of the game that interest most of us the most… Such as why is Bo Jackson so damn good. Shimoji as the programmer was mostly responsible for making Tomie's vision a reality. 

Based on the historical rosters and such of the original Tecmo, I gotta believe the 87 MNF game vs Seattle really put an indelible mark on them, in terms of how the decided to rate Bo.  That was also his 1st year in the league, and he's was doing the unprecedented 2 sport deal.  Torching Seattle in front of a national audience....and perhaps in Japan as well.  Its no secret they were football fans...they had to have at minimum seen the highlites of that game of this guy playing pro football as a hobby..

Bo really do anything to change that perception going forward as they put together TSB either.