The Man, The Myth, The Legend...

• 3 weeks later...

By 92', he was pissed at the whole Cards organization and didn't want to play there anymore......he wanted to be traded, but they wouldn't trade him........yet........Joe Bugel benched him for basically the whole first half of the 92' season until he had no choice but to play him because they were'nt winning, and his coaching job was on the line.  When Johnson finally got his starting job back, he busted out for 160 yards and a couple of TD's vs the NY Giants in his debut......Bugel's a fucc!n' idiot.   (find THAT game)

• 3 weeks later...

This is the player who'z gonna win me "2" NW Tournaments in a row...........& make me 'THE GREATEST' Tecmo Baller of ALL TIME.......buckle yo jock strap D.T.,.............cuzz yo a$$ !Z MINE...........then your gonna bow and pay yo respects' ta da 'GOLDEN CHILD'...belie DAT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 9:47 PM, PockyCandy said:

@~Tailback King~

JJ's statline for the game:

24 rushes for 93 yards, 1 reception for 7 yards

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199109220crd.htm

There needs to be a 30 for 30 doc on Johnny Johnson........."THE BEST THAT NEVER WAS II".....He truly was one of the best players I ever saw.  Check out the Walter Payton vintage four arm @ 4:00.  

I just found a 1991 TECMOSUPERBOWL gem............a game PACKT with Tecmobowl Legends.  Not only that, an awesome game to boot with an unbelievable ending...

~Johnny Johnson vs Randall Cunningham (QB Eagles) "15 round Heavyweight Fight"

..............Johnny Johnson games seem to disappere from the internet faster than you can find um', so check out greatness before it's gone.........

(p.s.  for those impatient people, he has huge runs @ 10:40 & 1:04:20)

Edited by ~Tailback King~

1 hour ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

I just found a 1991 TECMOSUPERBOWL gem............a game PACKT with Tecmobowl Legends.  Not only that, an awesome game to boot with an unbelievable ending...

~Johnny Johnson vs Randall Cunningham (QB Eagles) "15 round Heavyweight Fight"

..............Johnny Johnson games seem to disappere from the internet faster than you can find um', so check out greatness before it's gone.........

(p.s.  for those impatient people, he has huge runs @ 10:40 & 1:04:20)

I'm downloading all of these games from this point on so I can still use them when they get removed. 

2 hours ago, MvG Sports said:

The run at 10:40 on that vid is a 9 yard run...hardly a big run...

Getting nothing from something on a play that shoulda' been a 10 yard loss because of a collapsed line of scrimmage is a trait of a great back.....To put it in 'TECMO' terms for ya, you're playin' the Eagles with PHX and your opponent picked your play........ and you still get 10 yards.  It wasn't just an average 10 yard run, get it???  Anyone who watches it will tell you that.

@ buck............Quit bein' a hater.  The dudes just real good.......deal with it.

5 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

@ buck............Quit bein' a hater.  The dudes just real good.......deal with it.

I have been studying various Running Back qualities, styles, accomplishments, etc since I was a kid - and I am not denying that Johnny Johnson is a great athlete and a rare physical specimen and probably a social gentleman - but I just really don't know what you see in him as an RB, besides his physical appearance (he looks like a poor mans Eric Dickerson).  

You seem to like big and tall slashing RBs that run straight upright and run out of bounds a lot...and that includes Dickerson...but I do like Dickerson because he was actually fast as heck.  Johnny was just average speed, probably sub average.  He was just a big RB, dude.

I also am not denying that JJ has hidden TSB stats or that he is a notorious TSB fumbler.

Edited by buck

Oh yeah, and buck, you're not the only one who has studied various running back styles since you were a kid.....I just prefer north ta south smashmouth striders that will get me yards consistantly, instead of short and stalky backs who f*#k around dancin' in the backfield that have a chance to lose 10 yards on any given play.....and yes, there is alwayz that slim chance that the back I'm talkin' about can rip one for 50, I'll still put my $$$ on a Johnson/Dickerson style back every time.

As yet another guy who has had the opportunity to watch tons of different running styles over the last 3 months, I'd like to give my two cents. While tall and powerful running backs are probably the most impressive to look at, they also seem to be the least elusive and the most mechanical in their running style (sans Dickerson and Marcus Allen, of course). Thus, a lot of those kinds of runners get in trouble when they get met in the backfield by defenders before they can build up speed, as they can't really make guys miss in small spaces. If you want a modern example, compare Christian McCafferey to Derrick Henry. Henry was much more impressive to look at, but when he got hit in the backfield, it was game over. Or for an older example, take Eddie George and compare him to Napoleon Kaufman. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have Kaufman over George because of Kaufman's ability to make guys miss.