Des Moines, IA - 04/30/16 - Tecmo Bowl (4 play / 12 team)

Yes, another tournament for the original TB!   The 4 plays / 12 teams 1989 version.

Recently got the date/time hammered out with the Keg Stand in West Des Moines.  3530 Westown PKWY, Des Moines, IA 50266  

-12 Noon, Saturday April 30th.

Registration opens at 11:15 AM.

-Group play in the opening round to determine seeding for the single elimination tournament.

$15 entry fee, with top 4 winning cash.

See this site for all the particulars on the tournament  http://www.tecmobowlnes.com/

flyer%20box_zpsmwj5o1an.png

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

• DFM changed the title to Des Moines, IA - 04/30/16 - Tecmo Bowl (4 play / 12 team)
  • Knobbe pinned this topic
On 4/19/2016 at 9:17 PM, noonan said:

Yeah, since Tecmo Super Bowl came out, I never went back to the original.  I'll have to dust off that old ROM.

On 4/18/2016 at 2:24 PM, Dotdon said:

Going to be there I believe.  I will say I haven't played Tecmo Bowl since 1991 though. 

There are certainly some things that don't translate between TB and TSB.  If you're pretty good at TSB, I really believe you'll do fine against your average TB player off the street in Des Moines.   TSB obviously has a far more dedicated following than TB, and has IMO a higher level of really skilled guys at TSB tournaments.  This tournament (like Omaha) may have a share of players who really haven't played in ages and are truly there for the fun of it.      

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to win another title (recently won Omaha) while going 7-0 on nthe day.  I gotta say the field here was much more stout than Omaha.  3rd best guy in Omaha would have been the 5th best at DM in my opinion.  I got the 2 seed in group play.  Noonan(2016 Lincolon TSB champ) got the 3 seed and ended up with 3rd place.  He studied up and brought it. He was 5-0 when we met and had a battle in the semifinal that I pulled out 12-3 Minnesota over Washington.  Brutally tough game all around for me.  Much closer than the final score.  

The runner up (Aaron) had a very good offense.  He beat everyone 35-0 to 52-0 in 4 games against the field.  My buddy(who I consider an equal) beat him 6-0 in group play, and then lost to him 7-6 in the tourney(round of 8).  Tough rnd of 8 game there as either guy could have won this.  It was 4 vs 5 seed.   I faced Aaron in the championship and got a 10-6 win.  Random guys there had no shot against him.  I tossed 3 INTs in the first half of the championship game, but held on defensively and trailed 6-0 at the half.   Got things together in the 2nd half, and pulled it out.  I picked him off once in the 1st half, but the win required an INT fairly late in the game to seal it.  Looking forward to playing that guy some more in the future.

Despite a lot of easy wins throughout I got tested in Omaha and Des Moines in the final 4 games, en route to an overall 13-0 mark in these tournaments.  Had to play the best guys in those late rounds.  Beat a 6-0 friend in Omaha for the championship, beat a couple 5-0 guys(eventual 3rd place finishers) in the semi's at both locations, and a 5-1 guy in the DM championship who had split 2 games with my other friend.

Playing the gauntlet of my 3 very skilled friends over the years makes the difference IMO.  You get battle tested and know the game/teams incredibly well when you face the best players out there, every damn time you play within your circle.  Couldn't have done any of this without them always pushing me.    

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

• Knobbe unpinned this topic