BO. Better in TB or TSB?

vegas

I mostly play TSB on NES but wanted to get a take from others on the Bo Jackson character. Obviously Bo Jackson is one of (if not  the) best players in TSB but I was wondering if he is equally rated (speed, power, etc) in the original game  (TB)? And if equally rated in the game is he equally dominant? In full disclosure I am working on a written piece about the character of "tecmo bo" and want to get all the background on any differences/similarities between the two version (TB vs. TSB). Any help is MUCH appreciated. Cheers.

On a side note,  can someone send me a link where I can look over the specific rating(s) of Jackson in the two games?

thanks for the quick replies and the useful info (and links). And I'd love to hear from others weighing in. I didn't want to violate forum rules by posting this thread on BOTH the TSB and TB forums so I'm hoping we'll hear from users of both games.

I'd have to say TSB Bo, but ONLY because Tecmo screwed up a bit on the original.....

In the original Tecmo Bowl, a programming error causes Bo to be somewhat pedestrian compared to Payton and Dickerson.  Since LA is the only team in the original with a 2 back set, LA has no top WR.  As a result, the top outside LB is unblocked on Bo's run play.  Where Bo feasts on a defense is when the controlled defender has a blocker coming for him and Bo is on the loose.     

Wilber Marshall and Carl Banks stifle him easily from that TOLB position.  But if you know what you're doing, even slow TOLBs like Simon Fletcher for instance can prevent him from gaining those big 20 yard runs.  

I guess normally I would say Original Bo, but he's shut down pretty well with the blocking scheme issue.

Probably more info than the OP wanted, but the truth shall set you free.  Or in this instance, the truth shall corral Bo Jackson.   

Since I play very little TSB, I have a question.  Random people laud TSB Bo as this unstoppable machine, yet the top TSB players around here always have the Raiders ranked around the 5th or so best team.  Tells me the best of the best aren't THAT afraid of him.  How do TSB stop him? Or does Schroeder just suck that bad that they take their chances calling a decent amount of Bo's run? 

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

TSB Bo's not unstoppable.  I am not afraid of him, within reason.  Like, I can totally shut him down with PHI defense, for example.  But you have to play "bend but don't break" defense, because if you get caught slipping, you might be toast.  

and yes, force RAI to pass with Silver Spoons.

23 hours ago, vegas said:

I mostly play TSB on NES but wanted to get a take from others on the Bo Jackson character. Obviously Bo Jackson is one of (if not  the) best players in TSB but I was wondering if he is equally rated (speed, power, etc) in the original game  (TB)? And if equally rated in the game is he equally dominant? In full disclosure I am working on a written piece about the character of "tecmo bo" and want to get all the background on any differences/similarities between the two version (TB vs. TSB). Any help is MUCH appreciated. Cheers.

On a side note,  can someone send me a link where I can look over the specific rating(s) of Jackson in the two games?

When you write your written piece on the 2nd best player in both games, don't forget to mention Johnny Johnson from TSB, and Eric Dickerson from TB.....because they are both better 'all around' in their respective games than Bo Jackson.  Don't believe me, just try um'.

Tecmo Superbowl~      JOHNNY JOHNSON    Phoenix Cardinals     position: Tailback     6'3, 230 lbs.

Original Tecmobowl~     ERIC DICKERSON     Indianapolis Colts      position:  Tailback    6'3, 225 lbs.

TSB, and the Original~    BO JACKSON     Los Angeles Raiders       position:   Runningback    5'11  235 lbs.

...I guess it's all a matter of opinion, who you feel comfortable with, and what typa' player you want in your offense.  

Tha Breakdown:  Johnson can do absolutely anything on offense as good, if not better than anyone else in TSB.

Dickerson is a lot like Johnson for the Colts in a way that he does everything for that offense,

and does it better than anybody else in the original Tecmobowl...except he has a higher top end speed!!!

Jackson is the ultimate one trick pony...and that's not a bad thing.  His elusiveness and top end speed

may be better than both the players I just mentioned, but don't ask him to do anything else...............

.........and you like many others may be askin' yourself, "But what more is there to the game than that???"

And someone like me would answer, "That's exactly why so many people (hopefully not you) know

nothing about the game of FOOTBALL"

(p.s.  the REAL tragedy here is the fact that Eric Dickerson should have been in both games like

Bo Jackson.....but that's another story for another time)               

Edited by ~Tailback King~

On 1/5/2016 at 9:10 AM, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Since I play very little TSB, I have a question.  Random people laud TSB Bo as this unstoppable machine, yet the top TSB players around here always have the Raiders ranked around the 5th or so best team.  Tells me the best of the best aren't THAT afraid of him.  How do TSB stop him? Or does Schroeder just suck that bad that they take their chances calling a decent amount of Bo's run? 

The top TSB players also happen to be among the best tappers.  That right there shuts down Bo, if using the appropriate defender on run plays.

• 1 month later...

HP has nothing to do with MAN vs MAN grapples in TSB. Bo makes the Raiders a top team, but very weak QBs and so-so defense make them not quite as elite as a few other teams. Few DBs can stop the SF passing game, and SF also has a top 5 D with Lott and Waymer. The passing attack of HOU is even more ridiculous, and Dick Johnson is better on D than anyone on the Raiders. The Giants are almost certainly better, because while they have no one great player on offense, pretty much EVERY position has an above average player. And their D has LT leading the best front 7 in the game, and a couple of good DBs. BUF and CHI are also up there.

It's also the reason why PHI is not the best team in the game. QB Eagles puts them in the running, but they have little going on elsewhere.