Stumbled upon a great challenge

snkbaseball

A while back I downloaded Tecmo Bowl on the Wii (which apparently is the 1990 Japan version) and played with Indy.  Indy is horrible in this version, and when I got to the Division Round I drew Minnesota and it was almost impossible to beat them.  

If you want to try it, get the 1990 Japan-released version and use the password 83AF7719.  It took me hundreds of attempts but I finally beat them 12-6.  Strangely, the next two playoff rounds were pretty easy to beat.

I know there are some awesome Tecmo players on this site, so I'm curious to know how many attempts it takes you to win.

By the way, I used to be snkbaseballstars (registered in 2005) but I forgot my password and email associated with the account - if anyone can help me get back into my original account I'd appreciate it.

6 hours ago, snkbaseball said:

By the way, I used to be snkbaseballstars (registered in 2005) but I forgot my password and email associated with the account - if anyone can help me get back into my original account I'd appreciate it.

I reset the password and sent you a PM with the information.

Welcome back!

10 hours ago, snkbaseball said:

A while back I downloaded Tecmo Bowl on the Wii (which apparently is the 1990 Japan version) and played with Indy.  Indy is horrible in this version, and when I got to the Division Round I drew Minnesota and it was almost impossible to beat them.  

If you want to try it, get the 1990 Japan-released version and use the password 83AF7719.  It took me hundreds of attempts but I finally beat them 12-6.  Strangely, the next two playoff rounds were pretty easy to beat.

I know there are some awesome Tecmo players on this site, so I'm curious to know how many attempts it takes you to win.

I beat Minnesota 12-0 on my 4th try on my phone using NESoid.  I have the Tecmo Bowl Japan ROM.  Millard is a beast, comes in unblocked every play. I had to go exclusively to Pass 1 and hit Beach (TE) for most of the game, with some opportunistic passes to Bentley(RB), Verdin (Top WR) and Brooks (Bottom WR).  On defense mainly used top OLB Bickett (who for some reason is black on this game) and called run 1. My previous 3 games I lost 14-6, 7-6 and 7-6.  Pat Beach is usually open even on a play pick for Pass 1 but randomly he would be covered and I threw a pick 6 in both of my 7-6 losses. Good challenge though. I wonder what it would be like to face them in the Tecmo Bowl.

It would be interesting to play this with the Pat Beach fix that has been added to some of the more recent original Tecmo Bowl ROMS.  In those ROM's Pass 1 from the Indy playbook the TE (Pat Beach on Indy) is Covered most of the time. Once in while the DE will get blocked by the RG/RT and the TE will be open, but for the most part that play is covered on a play pick now.

Edited by TheFes75

28 minutes ago, TheFes75 said:

I beat Minnesota 12-0 on my 4th try on my phone using NESoid.  I have the Tecmo Bowl Japan ROM.  Millard is a beast, comes in unblocked every play. I had to go exclusively to Pass 1 and hit Beach (TE) for most of the game, with some opportunistic passes to Bentley(RB), Verdin (Top WR) and Brooks (Bottom WR).  On defense mainly used top OLB Bickett (who for some reason is black on this game) and called run 1. My previous 3 games I lost 14-6, 7-6 and 7-6.  Pat Beach is usually open even on a play pick for Pass 1 but randomly he would be covered and I threw a pick 6 in both of my 7-6 losses. Good challenge though. I wonder what it would be like to face them in the Tecmo Bowl.

It would be interesting to play this with the Pat Beach fix that has been added to some of the more recent original Tecmo Bowl ROMS.  In those ROM's Pass 1 from the Indy playbook the TE (Pat Beach on Indy) is Covered most of the time. Once in while the DE will get blocked by the RG/RT and the TE will be open, but for the most part that play is covered on a play pick now.

Wow, that is very impressive!  Everything you said was spot on, it just took me a lot longer to figure it out than 4 tries!  Sometimes I would call pass 2 on 1st down, knowing that if I got play picked I could take a sack for a loss of 2 yards, then come back to pass 1 on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th downs.  Because on pass 2 I could hit the top WR for 10-12 yards if he's uncovered, or the bottom WR for 8-10 yards if the top WR is covered.  Pass 1 has shorter gains (unless the top WR is uncovered) but you should get positive yards every time, even if you're play picked.  But on pass 2 you have to hold "down" as you snap so your QB avoids that first defender dive.  Sometimes on 2nd and 1 or from the 1-2 yard line I would call run 1 and could get 2-3 yards.  Run 2 is useless. I'm glad you tried it, I didn't know there was a fix for the Pat Beach outlet on pass 1 but that would make it a lot harder for sure.  

I'll load this rom onto the GC later tonight and try this.  I know Steve Jordan the Vikes TE is bat shit crazy fast, but I feel that I shouldn't have much trouble putting up multiple scores on them.  Trying to contain Jordan will be sort of a problem and I probably can't shut them out, but I have no doubt I win the 1st time I try by multiple scores. 

3 hours ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

I'll load this rom onto the GC later tonight and try this.  I know Steve Jordan the Vikes TE is bat shit crazy fast, but I feel that I shouldn't have much trouble putting up multiple scores on them.  Trying to contain Jordan will be sort of a problem and I probably can't shut them out, but I have no doubt I win the 1st time I try by multiple scores. 

Let me know how it goes.  Make sure it's the 1990 Japan released version.  This matchup in the original Tecmo Bowl is easy - I tried it.

57 minutes ago, snkbaseballstars said:

Let me know how it goes.  Make sure it's the 1990 Japan released version.  This matchup in the original Tecmo Bowl is easy - I tried it.

On my 4th try i got em 12-7.  Man, that defense is up your ass in a hurry.  Wasn't prepared for that. 

I'll have to try Fes' ploy and do run 1 calls with Bickett.  I just ran BOT DB + Pass 2 calls most every game....you're unblocked on the WR run, and you just have to steer clear of Walkers blocker to shut down the run game...from there you can get INTs on the toss to Hassan jones at the bottom..and if you get magic coverage, then you step up and get on Jordan for the pick.  The CPU does get away with some bullshit though on offense.    

A couple things....I decided to just punt the damn ball away if I had it inside my 50.  Have them make the mistake of the INT instead of me.  Doleman has some patterns he does in coverage...so at times you can hit Verdin up top for a 10+ yard gain, or Brooks at the bottom.  Really its just a 1 read type deal though.  If Im at the top hash mark, I was looking to hit Brooks on Pass 1 and then use the extra field to get away from the defender, and same with bottom hash mark and looking to throw to Verdin up top.   The bottom hash mark and throwing to Bentley outta the back field on occasion can get you 6 or 7 yards, if he leaves the backfield.  

The pass play with only 3 targets.....that was a dicey play, but Doleman would often shade down to the middle so you could throw up top.   

Thats a pretty legit challenge though.  I enjoyed figuring out a plan of attack there to win that game.  On a few occasions I was able to avoid Millard for a few dives and throw deep to Verdin for like 25-30 yard gains, but that was super hard because the bottom DE is all over you as well. 

Here is a copy of the Japan ROM

Tecmo Bowl (Japan).nes

Here is a table with the passwords to play as any team vs any team in the Tecmo Bowl

You Team Computer
C3 Indianapolis BFFEA4
C6 Miami BFFDA3
C9 Cleveland BFFBA1
CC Denver AFF7AD
93 Seattle AFEFA5
96 Los Angeles 9FDFA5
99 Washington 7FBFA5
9C San Francisco 3F7FA5
63 Dallas AEFFA5
66 New York 9DFFA5
69 Chicago 7BFFA5
6C Minnesota 37FFA5
33 Inv. Indy  
36 Inv. Miami  
39 Inv. Cleveland  
3C Inv. Denver
Edited by TheFes75

I consider Washington and Dallas as the 2 worst teams in Japan Tecmo, so they might even be harder to win with.  At least with Indy, you got the swing pass available to Bentley or the dump off to Beach on a short yardage situation.  Skins and Cowboys don't have that option....WSH's passing playbook really blows.  Although WSH has Mann(BOT DE) who would do a lot better of a job with my defensive approach than the Colts BOT DB when it comes to stopping the run and getting in coverage.

The difference may be "IF" WSH/DAL have a better O-line and could actually block Millard for an extra second or 2.  That would make this much easier.  If you can get Millard blocked for a moment, this is an easy challenge.

I'm glad this was posted.  I think this can only make my game better as the bullets fly real fast here....would make regular 2 player games seem slow/easy by comparison.   

I was on occasion able to avoid Millard with Bentley on a run play and gain maybe 4 or 5 yards on a few occasions, but really running is not an option.  Dallas(Moose Johnston) and WSH(Gerald Riggs) are both slow RBs, so they wouldn't be able to do that either.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

I held a 12-6 lead in my 1st attempt in the 3rd qtr and had the ball inside the MIN 30.  Accidentally selected punt instead of cancel on 4th down, missing out on putting the dagger in.  Then was run over the remained of the game for a 20-12 loss.  Actually glad I lost though because I may have just taken my ball and went home had I won.  

I tinkered around with a few new tactics and such the next 2 games and got slaughtered 28-0 in both.  Minnesota was killing me on a lot of bullshit.  I got popcorned on a 60 yard QB run, as me the QB and a random blocker all went Bermuda triangle at the same time.  Many times I either got MIN in a playpick or magic coverage, and the QB threw the ball anyways, resulting in a big gains.  A few times I let off the gas thinking my teammate would pick it off, and he didn't, then Jordan/Jones are at full on speed and I'm trying to get my guy after them.....60+ yard scoring passes.  A couple times I got snagged by Walkers blocker, because I got too aggressive trying to stop him.     

In the 2nd half of the 3rd game as i got my ass handed to me I got a handle on everything I wanted to do, and put it all together.  I'll try this again later this weekend.   

In the Tecmo Bowl against Minnesota I lost my first game 7-6 on a Steve Jordan TD on the last play of the game that started with 1 second left on the clock. I was in position for the pick to end the game when my defensive player got slingshot away from the ball and Jordan ran 20+ yards for the TD.  In my second game I won 6-0 and surprisingly was able to run the ball effectively on 1st down using Run 1.  I even had a run of over 30 yards (last play of the game). the rest of the game was calling pass 1 and seeing what Doleman did.  If he drifted to the middle I hit  Verdin for about 8-10 yards. If it was a play call I dumped it to Beach.  If he stayed high it was either Beach or Bentley.I still threw two picks on play calls trying to go to Beach.  On defense i called some pass 2 and used the bottom DB, but mainly just called Run 1 and used the top OLB BIckett. When the ball is snapped I just run back stride for stride with Anthony Carter and adjust if it is to someone else. Computer threw 4 picks trying to go to Carter.  Got caught a few times in the predicament that I explained at the top of this post where I'm running with Carter and the computer throws it quickly to Jordan on Pass 1 and my guy gets sucked towards Jordan and then he is off to the races for about 50 yards. Anyway I felt as though I should have won 18-0 but those picks on the Pat Beach route cost me twice. Great challenge had fun. I will revisit this from time to time.

5 hours ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

The difference may be "IF" WSH/DAL have a better O-line and could actually block Millard for an extra second or 2.  That would make this much easier.  If you can get Millard blocked for a moment, this is an easy challenge.

Dallas could be an easier task if you call Pass 2 the whole game and hit Johnston on the Curl route.  Also on pass 1 the quick slant to the tight end should be open sometimes. Haven't tried it yet, but i would think that the curl route would be high risk high reward.  You would probably need to dodge Millard and hope he dives. Otherwise it would be a big loss.

8 hours ago, TheFes75 said:

Great stuff guys.  What are the Inv. teams at bottom?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2016 at 11:06 PM, Prof_Werwolf said:

I'd have to go back and offer the code up, but playing the Raiders in single player mode for the championship was probably the hardest game I've ever played. Bo Jackson was absolutely unstoppable

Bo can be gameplanned for with a play call.  What makes Minnesota so tough in this challenge is that Keith Millard destroys the guard pretty much the second they collide.  You have literally 1.5 seconds to  read Doleman dropping into coverage and try to throw it where he aint.