DL Play

mastersamwise

Can anyone share strategies on defense for picking a D-lineman? (Minus the lurch of course). I would like to vary my play style a bit, even though I know LBs and DBs are usually the best for most situations. I always seem to get blocked when I pick a DL, or get burned for a gain cuz my drone DBs get caught spacing off or I don't hit the QB fast enough. This is even for upper-tier guys too, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, etc. for some reason I'm ineffective. I'd like to play a season with Seattle and use Jacob Green but I feel like I'll get beat-down. I would love to see some vids of elite DL play. Is it best to just call smart plays and let the CPU control your DL?

Green is in position to stop the run3 sweep. However, it should be used situationally as it's an all in type of play. I'll use it when I need a surprise stop on 3rd or 4th down. But you can easily get drone bumped and give up a huge gain. Other than that a fast DL is great for using in pass coverage as long as the opposing QB and WR combo isn't killer. 

I love using the 3rd DL (like Jacob Green's position). It works great for stopping running plays to the top if you run straight up or back and up.

If I'm controlling a DL, I'm doing it to drop into coverage, not rush the passer. Certain DL with high INT like Agnew, Reggie White, Long, etc. can be more effective in coverage (31int). Richard Dent also has 44int, but he's in the top DL spot which is just okay IMO.

Got another one. Fire up a season with Green Bay and use Bob Nelson and grapple with the OL against run plays. Works well against runs designed to go up the middle leaving Nelson behind the lead blocker for the tackle. Human opponents will bounce outside but you can contain. 

Yep, using DL is fun as hell.  I always thought Toolie was about as good as anyone using it, here's a video of him using Bruce in the SB a few years ago.

Like Diaz said, it's probably best to use it as a change up but vs a weak QB/WR combo it's nice to have another defender in coverage.

Another strategy if you have a couple of decent DL is to immediately bump a grapple at the snap (center grapple seems to work best in my experience).  If it works, you'll smother the run, but if you get popcorned it's gonna be a long gain.  Kind of a desperation move, but something to consider that's not a lurch.

In Tournament play, where lurching is prohibited... remind me what those rules are?

If the play is a run play (or playbook indicated run play) can a DL bypass (run by) a lineman between the tackles to make a play?

Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs

46 minutes ago, noonan said:

In Tournament play, where lurching is prohibited... remind me what those rules are?

If the play is a run play (or playbook indicated run play) can a DL bypass (run by) a lineman between the tackles to make a play?

No basically you have to let them make a football move. So either bump, grapple, or go around the OL.

• 1 month later...

So I'm looking at this from a run defense standpoint.....

Would anyone say its a decent idea to go situational here....like say the ball is spotted on the top hash-mark, so you might want to a top DL?  That way a run at you(to the top) means there's less room for the RB to operate in?  

Or would it be more advantageous to do the opposite?  Bottom hash mark, choose a top DL, then in pursuit to the bottom, the RB has less room to work with, and if the run play comes to the top you can run around in a circle a bit to avoid blockers.

22 minutes ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

So I'm looking at this from a run defense standpoint.....

Would anyone say its a decent idea to go situational here....like say the ball is spotted on the top hash-mark, so you might want to a top DL?  That way a run at you(to the top) means there's less room for the RB to operate in?  

Or would it be more advantageous to do the opposite?  Bottom hash mark, choose a top DL, then in pursuit to the bottom, the RB has less room to work with, and if the run play comes to the top you can run around in a circle a bit to avoid blockers.

I would base that off the formation the offense comes out in. Not in hash placement since that rarely impacts playcalls. Or at least, hard to tell if it does.

Still confused as to why using DL on a run play without a dive, such as above could constitute "lurching" while the auto LB4 (without a doubt) lurch is kosher. Some weird regulations.

Edited by drake

They either are both legal or both illegal. 

Per madison rules

"If you want to rush with a DL you must either go outside the offensive tackle or popcorn someone on the OL"

The DL does neither on both vids.

Personally I wouldnt have a problem with them

40 minutes ago, bruddog said:

They either are both legal or both illegal. 

Per madison rules

"If you want to rush with a DL you must either go outside the offensive tackle or popcorn someone on the OL"

The DL does neither on both vids.

Personally I wouldnt have a problem with them

Good point I was thinking hstl rules where shotgun plays are open game. Madison would probably disqualify both plays.

6 minutes ago, Ol' Dirty Tecmo said:

I wish they were. They should be. We cripple defense too much. And Noonan specifically asked about live play.

Yeah...I shouldn't confuse the issue. What is and what should be are always two different things.

Though indeed, the DL is neutered unfairly. A fast inside LB can go between the o line as fast (probably faster) than the DL on those same plays.

• 4 weeks later...