Sign in to follow this  
bruddog

Example of meta-tile drawing (4 tile x 4 tile) blocks :START SCREEN

Just wanted to give a quick example of how the " TECMO SUPER BOWL" text positioned in 4x4 blocks

If we go to 0x05056 in the rom we get the following data:  A5 b6. This is a pointer to the data sequence. Flipping it and andding 0x10 for the ines header offset we get 0xB6B5.

Since 0x4000 is loaded in as a $A000 bank. B6B5 points to $56B5

At 0x56b5 we have the following sequence

20 76                                    ; These first two bytes set which 0x0800 size banks from the CHR section of the rom (0x40010 onwards in 28 team)

; we will use that contain the tiles we need

02                                         ;  This byte tells us which bank will be used to draw the 4x4 tile sections 

20                                         ;  This byte sets our background pallete index

03, 06                                   ; These two bytes set (# of metatile rows, # length of the metatile sequence) 

09                                         ; this byte sets the starting location for the metatiles (refer to the image below) 

42 43 44 45 46 00                ; these are pointer indexes to draw the metatiles

47 48 49 4A 4B 4C

00 4D 4E 4F 50 AB

I made a spreadsheet helper to make things clearer refer to the image below

Going through the first line

42= draws part of the white S

43= top part of the S and part of the U

44, draws the red TEC and part of the m as well as part of the top of the U and P. 

8d2ff758af.png

metatile.bmp

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By keithisgood
      Spurred on by a suggestion from Tecmo Turd, I've decided to take a look at giving the 32 team Original Tecmo Bowl (no Super here) a graphical touch-up, starting with the title screen. 

There's precious little info on OG Tecmo here, and I have a question i was hoping someone (with greater hacking knowledge) could answer: 

Would it be possible to shift the title screen cursor down a line or two? I can't seem to find where it's being drawn in the hex. The rest of the title screen starts at 0x006686 in the 32-team TB rom. I believe it's the same in vanilla TB. 

I ask because moving the "1 Player / 2 Players / Coach" text and accompanying cursor would give me more hex space to draw a better title screen.

I'm keeping notes on everything I do and will post info for those interested as we go along.

• By keithisgood
      Any interest in revising the large helmet template? Very few players use the classic circular shell anymore, choosing instead the more sleek (and protective) Revo Speed. I mocked up what a Revo Speed helmet would look like on the team data screens. I've included the "single stripe" and "Double stripe" large helmet templates. Yea? Nea?

The facemask is just a stand-in at this point.

• By deadfaulkner
      I needed a high-res version of the text from the TSB title screen, so I GIMP-ed one up using paths.  It wasn't difficult, but it was time-consuming, so I figured I'd post it up here in case anyone has use for such a thing. 

Note: The image has a transparent background, so it's a little difficult to see the words "Super Bowl."  It will be easy to see in any image editor.

Link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7F3zFIYZBUpcVI0OVJBcHB2Tzg/edit?usp=sharing

• By mwidunn
      I've been noodling around with the graphics on TSB for Sega using Fatilety.

You'll notice, I've given the Pitch a more "old-school," classic feel.  Also, it looks as if it's actually been played on.

I changed the Chain Crew.

I've also modified the ball, so that it accords with the much rounder football used until (I believe) the 1950's in the NFL.

If I could, I'd have rather wanted to place the Goal Posts on the Goal Line as per their (logical) placement in the NFL until the 1970's.  Alas, I couldn't find a way.  I was, however, able to change them to the traditional, H-style posts . . . or, at least, came close to making it appear to be so.

There are some glitches in the alignment of the Yard Lines (e.g., at the 50- and 35-yard lines) based on that fact that they placed the NFL and Tecmo logo's on the field, both of which I removed.  I don't think either is too noticeable.

I think, I might try my hand at the SNES version and do the same.  Though, I must admit: I like TSB Sega better.