Southington, CT - 12/05/15 - CT Tecmo Bowl 8

arncoem

Just wanted to officially say Congrats to Gerald. Even though I wasn't able to attend the CT tournament, and finally get to meet ya in person due to going to a bachelor's party this day--I am glad you were able to put together a solid tournament run. You stuck with Tecmo and took some big bruises along the way. You deserve it through all the hard work you put into the southern tournaments and elevating your play. Congrats.

My Thanks goes out Erik Merliss for running a greaT Tourney. Ty you for putting me in CT Tecmo hall of fame. It was such a fun time and trip. It deserves an old school  full recap.

Thank you to Allison Brothers ( Jaimen, Joshua, and Jeremiah) along with D.T. for picking me up in there "Tecmo" Suv. The Allison played in detroit and buffalo tourines and are from London Canada. We played on the way to Ct...we all took turns driving and playing tecmo. We Stopped on the side of highway in the middle of nowwhere to change tecmoers and driver at like 5am. We open the tv and my small tv falls out. She becomes a casualty of the trip. I went to war with that little Tv. I gave it a proper send off later. I think i drove 4 an hour and played tecmo till literally 6am. We got there at 7am found some local crappy breakfast place that we were advised by locals. I wolfed down an horrible tasting omelet and slept in back suv till game time. I remember getting up and i seeing some lady literally driving with no tire on the rim. Am i seeing this right i thought as she pulled into a obviously closed auto zone? She was kinda hot. thought about offering a hand. But i got bad luck once i cross the hudson river so i stayed in the suv. I wolfed down an horrible tasting omelet and slept in back suv till game time.

Tourney: I went 1-2 in group play. I losted the 1st game to Gerald (suicideking81) losted 10-17 phx ova atl. I was 10 to 0 but got a fg b4 half. Drove down to with lot a rozier runs to tie 10-10 at start of  the 3rd. But Phx answered with a time consuming drive and went up 17-10. JJ was not long enough. 2nd game. its 7-7 jets vs saints. Im on defense clifton jumps a short route 4 a pick...he gets tackled immediately. Fumbles...craig heyward picks it up and houses it 4 a 7o td. down 14 to 7 at half instead being up 7. I come back and tie but i went on to lose. I won the 3rd game easily ova pat owen  but i did fumble on 1st play of the game. i was thinking man today just ain't my day lol. later in the game i recovered an accidental onside kick and kicked back when i was up 20. Seemed just like lets not make the tecmo gods any more upset today. It turned out to be a tourney rule too which i like. If you are winning in the 4th qtr and recover an onside kick u must punt back.

Side Notes: Thank you for the round of beer and shot of Jameson there Tadaos. Your friend was very cool. I owe u both next year. It was good to see Brian R., Suchy (who played a heck of game vs Joshua in the elite 8), Erik M, The tetas, Cuban tecmo, Bo (who explained me about the oklahoma thing and the other bo), Pat owen (a very good bowler). The Sam winter was very refreshing lol.

Elimination Play-In Games. I have to win 2 games to get to the Elite 8 which is Dbl Elim. 1st Game i was to play a local tecmoer (i forgot his name). He was tall black dude who played a good game vs last years champ Kevin S (Tadaos). Him and his friend like cover up there controller from would be peekers. Tecmo in the hood lol. Both and his friend have a last longer bet. So i play the 1st guy throw a pick on 2nd play and then the seeds get changed for whatever reason. I wind up drawing his friend instead after i won my 1st play in-game. He calls Min vs Cincy...i take goodside. He takes cincy and puts ICKEY FREAKING WOODS at rb. I hitn AC for a Touch on a long burner. I'm up 14 to 10 in the 4th. Cincy driving but i think i jump a route and get a pick. I put the game away for 21 to 10 win. His buddy loses in 1st round and both are arguing about who won the bet lol. technically the guy with the bye won the bet me thinks.

Elite 8 Louis Vs Danny. I call Ne-sea vs last years runner up. Marv was on his game building up a 17 to o halftime lead. Sea coach fought back but i held on to win 17 to 1o in one of my favorite matchup calls.

Louis Vs Bo L 21 (mia) to 24 (phi) OT ...I forgot who called the match. I may have picked Mia but I knew i had punt on 1st drive. We prety much exchange td's till ot. He got the rock in ot i belive and won by a fg.

Louis (red98) rams 26 vs Erik M. (Arncoenm) redskins 7. By this time its atleast 53opm and we had to move to downstairs. We had 2 stations (1 with live stream) on left of the stage where the band was getting ready. I asked if we could play on old tube tv cuz see everying better on old tv compared newer flat screen tv.  He calls rams vs skins. I got with the rams. I got huge break early...on 4th and short he had man wide open who dropped it. I get the ball back and drive for 7 to o lead. rams lean the passing game vs the ss and the fs for 26 to 7 win.

Louis (red98) 10 (det) vs Joshua Allison (thedude) 7 Double Ot.  Pitt Josh calls a good matchup. Its the 1 me and dt played in buffalo. A wild game vs where that saw 10+ fumbles , 2 blocked fgs, 2 defensive td's. I played the matchup vs him earlier in the ride in a wild game too. I take goodside. We trade punts 4 a while. I score a td in 2nd. I get ball back...Just b4 half it seems like every time u have a chance to get a 10-0 lead b4 halftime your fg gets blocked in tecmo. he blocks it just b4 half. I'm up with barry in bad grey in bad...p3 shot gun got grey wide open 4 a touch. he goes nice pass...i go "dont worry its going OOB". Sure enough the pass goes out of bounds. I have to punt. All det defense done a great job , 4th and 10 pitt finnally guns 1 one. det coach picks pass and sure enough 1 drone drops back into coverage. Diver cc. leads to a pitt td. We go to Ot. Im sick of this slugfest i put barry at the top wr. I forgot if this happend in the 1st ot or in regulation. I was really getting tired and felt like its easier to pass then run. I challenge the fs drone on p4 R+s "offthescreen" "Mort like" post burner. pete delivers a Rare  perfect pass...barry burns em off the screen...but he drops it. He gets ball in 2nd ot i stop him. Like the crowd said in this matchup u want to kickoff and see if get them to go for it 4th down on there own end or they have a tournover. I stop him 3 and out he punts smartly. I drive it down into fg range and finnally win a draining game vs Joshua.

Louis (Red98) 21 (Cle) Bo (Gb) 10...I Take the better Qb and target webster early and often. Somehow sterling sharpe is held to 0 yards reviving. Went on to 21 to 10.

Championship Game 1 Red98 Lou (Gb) 17 No gerald (sucidieking81) No 10...I think i rolled with goodside. Got Gb. Same story sharpe on no fs n db1 was the game plan. played little better defense this time around. I'm up 1o to 7 with a min left in 2nd and the band unplugs a cord that zaps our game. I'm thinking if we have to replay from the start im done for lol. We came up with fair way to end the game. We played a min. restarted  and Then played a half.

Champ. Game 2 Gerald 16 No (suicideking81)  Red98 7 (Gb)....He calls the match. I take goodside. I get Cle. 1st drive i throw pick and long pass but he fumbles on defense on the 1. My guy gets and scores. had the same happen earlier. A clear makeup call from the gods. he is up 14 to 7 with 2 mins left with qb browns in bad just lil off the mark in this game. I go "were going to Ot."...i'm not talking shit or anything just trying conjure some magic out of myself. he calls my play i swear i had the pass off but i get safetyed in my end zone. Perhaps going 4 arrow trick makes the pass slightly longer to get off as i was trying to get the right angle as well to deep pass to webster. Lost 16 to 7 in well played game by Gerald. Congrats. I fell asleep as soon we got on the highway and had no idea how these guys drove through the nite. There was talk of Rbi baseball tourney on the way back...and maybe the snoring of 3 guys in the back kept the driver focused to drive.

LONG LIVE TECMO

20151207_103643.jpg

Edited by red98sethuthut
i cant speel

I'm posting this solely as a self-congratulatory post for having beaten both the winner and runner-up of the tournament in group play (and then getting bounced in the first round of the bracket...sigh).  Anyway, thanks a bunch to Erik and the other CT guys for putting everything together. - Derek (the real DT)

So here is a recap from my perspective:

The tournament starts out with me being in group 7. (Stream was in and out for most of the group rounds and video is unsuable but stream and connection solidified for the majority of bracket play but went to shit once we moved downstairs near the stage due to the locals starting to fill the venue and getting on the wifi. I took the stream offline for the finals so I could record it without interuption. I apologize to those who's games were played on the stream TV because some of the games were caught up in the connection issues)

Group 7 Participants:

Lou B.

Gerald S.

Pat O.

Derek T.

Group game #1:

Lou and I decide to play our game first. I think I called the ATL/PHX matchup, either way I ended up with PHX. I receive and drive down on my first drive for a TD to go up 7-0. My defense is able to hold and force a punt which set up a FG try that is good for a 10-0 lead. Lou is able to put a good enough drive together to get a FG before the half the make it 10-3 at half. Lou receives half kick and is able to methodically drive down and nearly taking up the entire 3rd quarter for the TD to tie the game 10-10. I was able to respond and put together a time consuming drive of my own leaving little time for Lou. He tries a JJ at the end of regulation but it isnt long enough and he is tackled to end the game.

Group game #2

My apologies to Pat O. as I dont quite remember the matchup or much of the game. I do remember it wasnt a runaway game but it wasnt a nail biter either. I win the game to start 2-0 in group play.

Group game #3

Derek T. and I are both undefeated going into the game. He calls MIN/Wash matchup. I take MIN. I receive and Derek is playing lights out D and force a 4th and 3. Stupidly I decided to go for it and I fumble and he does a scoop and score. I deserved that for going for it inside my own 30 yard line. Next possession i am having a good drive then Herschel coughs up the rock and Derek recovers. A few plays later he makes us pay and he punches it in for a TD to make it a 14-0 score. At this point im starting to wonder if its going to be "one of those games" but i quickly brush it off and go to work on my next possession.  Once again I am have a decent drive and once again it is derailed as I have a JJ catch fumble that Derek and his hard hitting D recover. This time I am able to hold him to an FG so I am thinking I still have a shot at a comeback.  On the ensuing kickoff I fumble and that hard hitting D has another scoop and score to make it 24-0 at the half. Second half was more of the same as my team coughs up the ball another 2 times but I am able to get a garbage time TD late in the 4th for a final of 34-7.

Group 7 Standing:

Derek T. - 3-0

Gerald S. - 2-1

Lou B. - 1-2

Pat O. - 0-3

Bracket Play:

Everyone makes the elimination bracket and the way in fell out 4 guys had 1st round byes (Derek T., Scott, Bo and Brian R.)

Round 1 game

I draw Jeremiah A.(one of the Allison brothers from Canada), yeah Tecmo is officially international!!!! He calls a Chiefs/Raiders matchup. I choose KC. I was able to neutralize Bo just enough to hold back his offense for having big plays while using DT who was flying all around the field. I dont remember the score (sorry Jeremiah) but I win the match to advance to the next round.

Round 2 game

Next opponent was #4 seed Scott. He picks ATL/PHX matchup. I have ATL. I start out by receiving and I drive down and score with a mix of run and pass. 7-0. On his first drive he throws an INT and I dont waste the opportunity and go up 14-0 in the 2nd. Scott is able to fight back and score before half to cut the lead to 14-7. He receives the kickoff and is able to get a good drive going but it stalls and he settles for a FG with little left in the 3rd 14-10.  I put together a time consuming drive and I am able to get one for TD to put the game out of reach with not much time left on the clock. Final 21-10. I move on into the final 8 which is double elimination.

Final 8 Winners Bracket game 1 (Double Elimination)

I play Erik M. in this round and he calls GB/NO. I just have to take my home state team. I pick the Saints. I receive and I am a few plays into my drive when I fumble and Erik picks it up. But a few plays later the Tecmo balances it out as I INT a pass to get the ball back. We trade scores all game long and I believe Erik hits a late FG to tie the game and force OT. I win the OT toss and get the ball. I manage to get into FG range and I face a 3rd down just beyond Erik's 30 yardline. Earlier in the game I had put RB Mayes at TE and it paid off on this play.  As I hiked the ball I saw Mayes has a few steps on the defender covering him just before they went off screen and I decided to give it a shot. I threw the pass to everyone watching amazement,  including me and Erik, the ball went over the defenders head and hit Mayes in stride for the TD with no JJ block attempt by the defender. Game ends with a final of 23-17.

Final 8 Winners Bracket game 2 (Double Elimination)

I get to face a second Allison brother, Josh A. I decide to go back to the matchup I called in group play vs. Lou B.  PHX/ATL. He choses PHX, I get ATL.  I score very quickly, in 2 plays and its 7-0 early. Josh is mounting a great drive and gets down inside the 10. But his RB fumbles on a called play and those dirty birds recover it. I was able to capitalize on the fumble recovery as Josh played oustanding D and forced a turnover on downs. I am able to slow down his offense and force a FG. Its 7-3 Falcons.  I was able to hit a few key plays on this drive to keep it alive and score a TD with roughly 1 min left in the half. A couple of JJ bomb attempts by the Cards before half fell incomplete. 14-3 at the half. Josh receives second half kick and mixes run and pass all the way down the field. He is able to get a TD pass from Rosey to Green that Rosey overthrew in the first half. 14-10. Josh now has his Cards playing great D as they force a punt from the Falcons. Falcons are able to play some good D of their own as they force a 3 and out. This time I was able to pick up a couple of key first downs and hit a wide open WR running across the middle of the field for a long TD pass. Score is 21-10 with about a min left. All 3 pass attempt for the Cards fall incomplete. I advance to the winners bracket final to face Bo.

Final 8 Winners Bracket game 3 (Winners bracket final)

I win the toss and I pick NYJ/DAL matchup. Bo picks NYJ. I get DAL. I cant quite remember play for play and this is the point were the stream shutdown due to the wifi getting full of users because the locals were packing in the venue to see a band play later in the night. Maybe Bo could fill in the blanks if im off on my recap a bit. I believe I was up 17-0 going into the 4th and Bo managed to get a TD in the 4th to make the final 17-7. Sorry for the crap recap on this one.

Meanwhile in the loser's bracket

Jim T. got eliminated by Erik M., Danny got eliminated by Shawn S., Erik M. got eliminated by Lou B., Shawn S. got eliminated by Josh A. in OT, Josh A. got eliminated by Lou B. in 2 OT, Bo got eliminated by Lou B.

The game of the tournament was between Lou B. and Josh A. the final score was 10-7 with Lou coming out on top in double OT!!! His recap above said it all. It was in my opinion the best game of the entire day.

Lou B. moved on to play Bo in the losers bracket final in a CLE/GB matchup. Lou takes CLE. Bo gets GB. Browns WR Slaughter was burning his defender most of the game and QB Browns was on point with his passes which made it extremely difficult for Bo to defend. Lou advances to the finals in a 21-10 win over Bo.

Bo gets 3rd place

Finals Game 1

I win the toss and select a GB/NO matchup. Lou takes P1. I choose Saints. I am able to get a nice opening drive down for a TD hitting RB Heyward playing TE on a post pattern for the score. 7-0 Saints. Lou is able to move the ball into Saints territory where the drive stalls and he kicks the FG. 7-3 Saints. I am able to get the ball to midfield where Lou tightens up is D and forces a turnover on downs and takes over at midfield. Lou takes no time at all to hit Sharpe on a burn route for the TD to go up 10-7......then the band setting up to play later in the night unplugs out TV and NES set which has us saying WTF!!!!! I didnt want the restart new game and neither did Lou. Erik was cool enough to let us get it all ironed out.  We lost power with 56 seconds left in the half so we started a new game. Lou was set to kick to me anyway since he just scored so we played 1 min of the new game then restarted and played a full half. With the minute i had to play with I only had time for a JJ desperation play and it fell incomplete. We started a new game so we could play our second half. Lou receives the kick and scores relatively quickly to go up 17-7 in the 3rd. My next possession I was able to move the ball down just outside of Lou's 20 yardline where he D stops me from getting any further. I settle for a FG to make the score 17-10. I was able to force Lou to punt after he picked up  1 or 2 first downs, so i get the ball back with about 3 mins left in the game. I wasnt able to move the ball beyond my own 40 before its a turnover on downs and Lou runs the remaining time off of the clock to force the final game. Final 17-10 Lou wins.

Finals Game 2

I win the toss again....dammit.....so I choose a NO/CLE matchup. Lou takes CLE. I get the Saints. I receive the kickoff and Lou is still playing great D and forces a punt. Lou puts an excellent drive together and is getting close to the redzone until he throws a pass that my man controlled LB intercepts at the 2 yardline and then proceeds to fumble it and it bounces in the endzone where it is recovered by the Browns to take the lead 7-0. At this point I didnt know what to think........I try to erase it from my mind and move on. This was QB Fourcades drive as most of the yards came from his legs running out of the backfield to get the Saints within striking distance and was able to hit a cross the field pass to a WR in the endzone to tie the score at 7 with 1 min left in the half. Lou tries for a JJ bomb at the end of the half but it is INT'd by the safety and I run out of bounds to prevent another INT fumble situation. 7-7 at the half. Lou receives the second half kick and finds QB Browns has gone in BAD condition. QB Browns overthrew a WR and got 1 pass batted down to force a punt. I am able to put together a really good drive and I get inside the 5 yardline of the Browns. On 1st down I threw to a wide open Gil Fenerty for the go ahead score and its DROPPED!!!! After Lou stonewalls me I am faced with a 4th down from the 2 yardline. I know I should kick the FG, but I think I can get it in the endzone. So after a long thought I decided to with a QB sneak. I am able to get 1 yard but I needed 2. Stonewalled at the 1 yardline turnover on downs. I was able to hold Lou inside his own 5 yard line and force a punt. With the tough D we both were playing I felt like I had to take some deep shots down the field. I decided to try to hit WR Eric Martin who was in GOOD condition and to everyone's surprise the trailing defender jump to block the pass and MISSED!!!!!!! and WR Martin catches it in the endzone with the go ahead TD!!! Its 14-7 Saints. Lou still has just under 2 mins left to score and I know he has that Buennegal magic up his sleeve so I know the game isnt over. On the first play after the kickoff its a called play and non other than Saints Hall of Famer LB Rickey Jackson comes up with the sack safety to put the game on ice. Lou kicks off and I run the clock out for the victory. Final score 16-7.

Thanks to Erik M. for putting on such a great event. Thanks to Louis B. for all of the great games you played that I got to watch especially that 2 OT win vs. Josh A. Thanks to the Allison brothers and DT for being super awesome throughout the entire tournament. Thanks to Bo for having the coolest beard in the place and shouting DOME PATROL throughout the final game to motivate the Saints defense, it definitely seemed to work.  And thanks to all the other participants who I got to chat with during the whole tournament. You guys are what makes this community super awesome and unique and better than any other that I have been a part of. So thanks to all of you guys, you guys made it a great trip.

LASTLY..........

I will post the videos of some of the game that were caught in there entirety very soon. I apologize in advance for the quality of video but it was all i could do to keep the stream up and going for as long as I did.  The games between Louis and I are in a better quality because I wanted to get the finals games recorded so I stopped the stream and recorded straight to the PC.

Edited by suicideking81

• DFM unpinned this topic