Original Tecmo Bowl fanatasy draft

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Curious if anyone is interested in doing an original Tecmo Bowl fantasy draft some weekend, as we would create 12 teams from scratch.

I think the quickest way to do it would be to break up the players for the most part into position groups.

For example,D-line, O-line,  WRs/TE, DBs,  LBs, etc. Perhaps punter and kicker together. QB & RB could be seperate picks alltogether. Playbooks are also part of the draft. Colts, Browns, and 49ers have some of the best playbooks. 

As for the few hitches, the Bears, Redskins, and Cowboys all run the 4-3 defense, so if you drafted the Bears D-line for instance, you're going to eventually draft the DAL or WSH LBs.

The other issue is the kick returners. Tim Brown, and Darrell Green have other positions on their teams. So perhaps if you take the Raiders playbook, you automatically get Raiders WR/TE with next pick, and the following pick you get Brown as your KR.  LA has a unique playbook with 1 WR/2RB, so therefore the whole Tim Brown/Playbook thing kinda locks 1 guy into that situation.  With that said, Brown is a decent WR, and Christensen is a good TE, and the LA playbook is not bad, so it automatically sets up your offense nicely. 

On the same token, a pick of WSH DBs(Green/Wilburn), then nets you Green as your KR with the next pick.

As for LA's RBs, any 2 can fill that slot, so it would just come down to who you drafted eventually.

I'm thinking of the premise of using the fixed playbooks for MIN/WSH/LA as well.  You might get an unspectacular playbook at worst, but not crippled with the WR run, or top LB not being blocked against Bo.

If we don't have enough to do this(12), perhaps some of us diehards could man 2 teams at opposite ends of the draft.  Probably needs to be on a weekend for me as I don't really have the time to regularily check my phone at my job to keep up with a draft.  Perhaps we could even go via chat here or something and do it over a couple hours.

I don't have a plan to actually do any games with it, but I would like to analyze the drafts and make some assesments.  I also think it would be interesting to see how all the teams get put together.  Strong offense, strong defense, well rounded, poorly consructed, etc. 

Started a mock draft.  Using our league rules with 1 QB run per qtr(meaning that good passing playbooks become very important), and LB position is allowed to try to block field goals(makes LT super valuable).  

--Round 1 with some commentary.  Teams listed A thru L

A-Bo Jackson

B-Giants LBs (LT/Banks)--Set up to have the top defense

C-Payton

D-Dickerson--elite tier RBs are basically the most important thing on offense.

E-Marino

F-Elway

G-Montana--w/ top RBs gone, a run on QBs occurs.  Thought about taking Herchel Walker w/ G pick, but can get a similar RB in next round, & the QB level drops off rapidly after the big 3 QBs.

H-Herschel Walker--best of the 2nd tier of RBs

I-Seattle LBs(Young/Boz)--Young is elite/Boz is decent.  Can run LB protect run D scheme against ANY/playbook.  Great defensive foundation in place.

J-Warner

K-CLE DBs(Dixon/Minni)--possible reach? Speed at top & bottom.  Good foundation for D.  WSH D-line is better against the run, but these guys are better vs pass.  

L-Marcus Allen

--Round 2

L-Colts Playbook--Allen w/ IND playbook is close to mirroring Dickerson w/ that playbook

K-Joe Morris--best RB on board

J-Kosar--best of the 2nd tier QB.  Pairs decent with Curt Warner.  

I-Dorsett

H-CLE Playbook--matched w/ Walker will be good.  CLE passes are not easily defended, but Mack being slow helps you load up on pass calls.  Walker's speed offsets that.

G-Craig--matched up with Montana's arm

F-Colts LBs(Bickett)--he blocks FG's from the 30 yardline.  Kind of a big deal.

E-49ers playbook--matched up with Marino, who has a stronger arm than Montana.  Made a lot of sense here.

D-Simms--gives Dickerson a decent QB

C-WSH D-line(Manley/Mann)  Easily the best set of DE's.  Really good at stopping the run.

B-Doug Williams--Gives Giants LB a decent QB counterpart.

A-DEN LBs(Mecklenberg)--solid defender, that can run the LB protect scheme against quite a few playbooks.  Good defensive foundation.  

I have another couple rounds done and will post tomorrow. 

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Round 4

L-Giants TE

K-Raiders TE

J-Bears D-line(McMichael)

I-Raiders Playbook....Brown at WR and Brown as KR locked in with next 2 picks.

H-McNeil kick returner

G-Vikings DB(Browner)

F-Bears playbook

E-Giants D-line (Marshall)

D-Seattle playbook

C-Giants Playbook

B-Landeta(punter)

A-WSH Playbook.

Team A is on the clock for their 5th round pick.

The teams so far

A-  Bo/Mecklenberg LBs/Krieg/Redskins playbook........WSH's playbook is horrible, but with Bo it's not bad.  

B- LT/Banks LBs/Doug Williams/Broncos playbook/Landeta....basically the Giants all over but with a better playbook.  Will have worse RB.

C- Payton/Manley & Mann D-line/Kramer/Giants playbook.....Payton will help the Giants playbook be more effective

D- Dickerson/Simms/Gentry/Seattle playbook....this team wants to score.  SEA's playbook will be much improved with dickerson 

E- Marino/49ers Playbook/WSH WRs/Giants D-line(Marshall).....49ers playbook with better top WR and stronger armed Marino.  Not bad.  

F- Elway/Colts LBs(Bickett)/49ers DB(Lott)/Bears Playbook.......Offense will be all on Elways shoulders.  Solid defense though

G- Montana/Craig/Dallas Playbook/Minnesota DBs(Browner)...... Nice core of offense.  Montana makes DAL playbook much better.

H- Walker/Browns playbook/Bears DBs(Duerson)/McNeil.......  Well rounded team.  Any of the bad QBs left can operate this offense.

I- Seahawks LBs(Young/Boz)/Dorsett/Schroeder/Raiders Playbook......Another well rounded squad.  Dorsett is sneaky good, but will only have 1 run.  

J- Warner/Kosar/WSH LBs(Marshall)/Bears D-line(McMichael).....good 2nd tier offensive guys.  Rock Solid front 7 on defense,  

K- Browns DBs(Dixon/Minnifield)/Morris/Minnesota playbook/Christensen(TE)......Christensen makes MINs playbook much better.  concerned about what they'll get at QB.

L- Allen/Colts Playbook/SF WRs(Rice)/Giants TE(Bavaro).....This will be near or at the top on offense.  Rice and Bavaro with this playbook will be lethal.

Best offense:  I gotta go with Team L.  This will be a monster of a ball control offense.  Jerry Rice replacing slow ass Bill Brooks will be deadly on the out route.  Bavaro getting down field quickly means defenses can't cheat up, and Rice will have many 8-10 yard catches in this offense.  Team E will be more explosive though and will sling it around very good and score a lot of points, but Team L aint turning the ball over much or ever.

Best defense:  Obviously the Giants LBs and Team B, but Team F with Bickett and Ronnie Lott will be able to do more schemes, especially in pass coverage.  Also, Lott is one of the best run stopping computer controlled players.

Most well rounded squad so far:  Theres 3 IMO that stand out.  I really like team C so far.  Will run the ball, and stop the run.  

Team H with solid RB/playbook/DB and Kick returner has the goods all over.  Elway with a good defense is the other.  You just need Elway to put a couple drives together and the D can do the rest.

I also see the Raiders playbook, with Dorsett and Fredd Young/Boz stopping offenses as very intriguing.  

I, J, and K all bring a solid mix to the table.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad