Tecmo 2014 beta

Knobbe

Here is the beta release of the Tecmobowl.org 2013-14 rom.

Areas where we want the most feedback

• Errors/bugs/glitches:  For instance, there is at least one instance where it denotes "2007".  Things like this 

• Jersey color conflicts:  If two teams playing look too similar in jersey color where it's hard to tell teams, let us know the matchup.

• Misspellings/race/jersey:  Please link us to what you have found so it's easy to verify.  This is especially important in terms of jersey number...if there is a story about a change this will be much more helpful than to a roster site as they don't always get it right either

• Roster changes:  If someone gets cut off a roster in the next couple of days let us know.  If the depth chart is changed, it's not quite as important

Other items for feedback

• Ratings: You will disagree with some of these ratings.  You can lobby for some small changes.  You're much more likely to get changes made if you are being reasonable and/or making a logical argument. Please respect any sort of decision made about any requests.

• Rosters/starters:  Pretty much the same thing as above.  Make a valid and reasonable argument.  If we have missed someone who has been suspended or injured for a small number of games, please let us know.

• Plays/returners/everything else:  As above, just make a valid case.

All teams use their '91 jersey colors for their alternate jersey.

We're hoping to release late Tuesday/early Wednesday if possible.

Thanks,

The Tecmo2014 team

Great job.  Love the intro logo.  The new Intro Graphix are awesome.  JJWAT!!!!

Some notes on the Dolphins.....

1.) Mike Wallace.  In the beta version rom from last year when he was on the Steelers, he was rated 63MS and 75REC.  This year he's rated 44MS and 69REC.

He is rated slower than Danny Amendola....slower than Brandon Marshall.......I would recommend at least a small bump there.

2.) Defensive Formation.  You have the BIG interior DT Paul Soliai as an outside linebacker. Here is how I would do it:

RE - Vernon

NT - Soliai

LE - Starks

ROLB - Wake

RILB - Misi

LILB - Ellerbe

LOLB - Wheller 

Or, maybe a quick fix would be just put Dion Jordan in at Soliai's spot on Outside LB and call it a day.

Clemons is the SS and Jones is the FS.

3.) Mini Helmets - in the team selection screen where the mini helmets are, the Dolphins facemask is green.  This should be updated to white.  I think you guys are still working on this.

4.) After you press start to begin the game at the TSB Title screen it still says "2007".

Thank you to everyone that worked on this years rom  It's really looking polished.  Love the end zones.

Edited by philleyOphish

Falcons fan here and I played a few games. I love the intro screen and the endzones.

Osi Umenyiora changed his number to 50. 

Here is the team roster from team website with his new number

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/player-roster.html

Here is an article about the number change

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/osi-umenyiora-changes-numbers-at-parents-request-082113

Our defense sucks on here.  :cry:  Including our 2 pro bowl safeties. Slow as molasses.

On another note can the Falcons get a uniforms change to the one in my avi? You guys have us wearing the same jerseys as 1991. (grey tops/black bottoms) Would you consider changing to our actual red tops/white bottoms or at least Red Tops?

I love this site and I appreciate the effort. I realize this is a free product. However, it just seems logical that If you guys go through all the work to change helmets/logos when needed each year I was hoping we could get the correct jersey color if not too much more work. Thanks for your consideration. You guys rock.

tinyryancover2_zps5b7e6c0f.jpg

Edited by TEKMOWBOL

My brain just went kablooey!  Thank you, Knobbe!  Soooo awesome.

Tiny, teensy thing, though...

It looks like whatever the helmet color is, the pants have to be the same color, but could you check if there's any way you could make the Browns with one of these?

*1)  orange helmet, brown jersey, orange pants

or

2)  orange helmet, brown jersey, white pants

or

3)  orange helmet, white jersey, white pants

*I see the Bengals have an orange helmet, black jersey, and orange pants, but I think the Browns should have first dibs on orange helmet, dark jersey, and orange pants, no?

That's all...  AWESOME GAME! 

Edited by MeatAndPotatoes

Also, Cleveland's receivers seem to made quite a bit slow.

Travis Benjamin is listed as "Running Speed: 25" and "Maximum Speed: 19."  He's one of the fastest players in the NFL.  He ran a 4.36  40 yard dash at his Combine, a couple years ago.  Plus, here's a video of one of his run backs, a couple games ago...

LINK

Also, QB Brandon Weeden has one of the most powerful arms in the league, (used to be a minor league fastball pitcher,) and his "passing speed" is only a 31.  Since Jason Campbell's is a 38, Weeden's should be pushing at least 60.

Please, don't get me wrong, though...  Awesome game!

I'm not sure why so many new Tecmo Bowl versions seem to have such a problem with teams that have red in their color scheme.

Like so many others, this game has teams like the Cardinals, Chiefs, Texans, Falcons, Giants, (pretty much any team with red,) appearing to be magenta/purplish pink instead of red.  There isn't a just plain old setting of "red" for these uniforms?  

The Patriots are just flat out pink, when playing against the Raiders.  (And I have checked the tint on my monitor, and it's set right.)

Small potatoes, since I'm sure you guys are much more busy with rosters/cuts and stuff, but it should be looked into, sometime.

Fantastic job everyone on the new 2014 beta!  Here's what I noticed, starting a season with the Stillers:

---(Played with 7 min quarters, as I find that setting to be the most "realistc" stat-wise---total yardage, # of runs, etc., weather off, on FCE Ultra 0.98.12)

1.  Tennessee's unis looked a little "off" to me.  The colors were more like the new Miami colors than Tennessee's.  Messed with the color and video settings on FCE Ultra, but didn't make a diff.  

2.  Appreciate the accuracy of Pittsburgh's roster, offensively, as it appears you used the depth chart directly from the Steeler website, but that chart is either not up-to-date or misleading.  Spaeth is listed as #1 (but he's hurt), Johnson #2, Paulson #3 and Palmer #4.  Pretty sure Paulson is the current #1, with Palmer #2, at least, as you folks are using the TEs.  Johnson is already at FB, so he can't be #2 in Tecmo, and Miller is currently injured (for now).  Tough call on this, I know.  (Latest Madden '08 roster I played with had the same situation; I set up Paulson as the starter, with Johnson the second TE.)

3.  Gameplay was pretty good, although I thrashed the Titans 49-3.  I'm sure the AI will have something to say about that later in the season.  ;)  On offense,  gameplay felt very much like the original.  Either I'm better at it now, or I just got lucky in game 1!  D-wise, I did NOT see that crap "juice" play where the RB popcorns the defender, then flies past the rest of the D for 6, and then spends the rest of the game in Superback mode.  That used to piss me off more than anything playing this game!!!  I got burnt a few times in the passing game, but not enough to harm me obviously.

4.  Player rating-wise, a few tweaks, perhaps.  Cortez Allen is a slug in the beta (he has more speed than that!); Troy is prob. too fast (was all over the field!---don't think Father Time will allow him that in real life this year), and the only lineman worth a hoot was Hood (this may be right).  I actually dropped him back in coverage a few times.  On O, Johnson is a Super FB, and really shouldn't be (Bo Jackson?---umm, no), and perhaps Redman is a little too "good" (fast, tackle-breaking???).  

Please don't take any of my comments as criticisms; merely observations!  Do with them what you will.  Otherwise, love the new graphics, endzones and other great tweaks.  It's close, folks;  REALLY close to non-beta form!

Just a couple examples of the reds being more magenta/pink than red...  

Here's what the Falcons     Shouldn't they be more                      Here's the Chiefs,            Should it be

look like, right now...           red, like this?                                     right now...                       more like this?

post-11310-0-60897600-1378195353_thumb.p   post-11310-0-68768700-1378195464_thumb.p                  post-11310-0-34359000-1378195833_thumb.p   post-11310-0-89033500-1378195880_thumb.p 

And this is just an opinion, but I think too much emphasis is being put on preventing "color conflicts."  Most of the time, both teams should wear their fully colored uniforms, because who really wants to see their team in the "away whites?"  On the rare instances there is a major conflict, (i.e. Browns and Bengals,) just putting one team in a white jersey should suffice.   

A person playing it will still be able to tell the difference between the two teams on the screen, even if they have somewhat similar helmet and pants colors, because one team will have a white jersey and the other won't... just like in real life.  

Hope this helps.  

I'm not sure why so many new Tecmo Bowl versions seem to have such a problem with teams that have red in their color scheme.

Like so many others, this game has teams like the Cardinals, Chiefs, Texans, Falcons, Giants, (pretty much any team with red,) appearing to be magenta/purplish pink instead of red.  There isn't a just plain old setting of "red" for these uniforms?  

The Giants have no red in their uniforms.

4hZxH.png

The NES has a set palette of colors to choose from. See below.

NES_Palette.png

Colors 06, 07, 08, 16, 17 & 18 are used for skin colors. There are no other "reds."

You will also need to fiddle with your emulator palette colors depending on your monitor's values to dial it in if being very specific matters to you.

Great job.  Love the intro logo.  The new Intro Graphix are awesome.  JJWAT!!!!

Some notes on the Dolphins.....

1.) Mike Wallace.  In the beta version rom from last year when he was on the Steelers, he was rated 63MS and 75REC.  This year he's rated 44MS and 69REC.

He is rated slower than Danny Amendola....slower than Brandon Marshall.......I would recommend at least a small bump there.

2.) Defensive Formation.  You have the BIG interior DT Paul Soliai as an outside linebacker. Here is how I would do it:

RE - Vernon

NT - Soliai

LE - Starks

ROLB - Wake

RILB - Misi

LILB - Ellerbe

LOLB - Wheller 

Or, maybe a quick fix would be just put Dion Jordan in at Soliai's spot on Outside LB and call it a day.

Clemons is the SS and Jones is the FS.

3.) Mini Helmets - in the team selection screen where the mini helmets are, the Dolphins facemask is green.  This should be updated to white.  I think you guys are still working on this.

4.) After you press start to begin the game at the TSB Title screen it still says "2007".

Thank you to everyone that worked on this years rom  It's really looking polished.  Love the end zones.

1.) Wallace was highly overrated by us last year.  Any sort of bump in speed will result in a reverse in receptions.  We'll look at that though.

2.) We'll also take a look at the alignments though it's a process based on having to convert a 4-3 defense to fit into 3-4.

3.) That's a maybe on the dolphins helmet

4.) Yup ;)

The intro screen showing the Lombardi Trophy has the first word of the Jim Harbaugh/Ben Franklin quote as "CR2014" where it should read "CREDIT." Should be a simple change; just put [45 44 49 54] ("EDIT") at offset x00C129.

I love that instead of QB BROWNS, they have K BROWNS right now.

Everything else from my POV looks good. Way to go!

Falcons fan here and I played a few games. I love the intro screen and the endzones.

Osi Umenyiora changed his number to 50. 

Here is the team roster from team website with his new number

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/player-roster.html

Here is an article about the number change

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/osi-umenyiora-changes-numbers-at-parents-request-082113

Our defense sucks on here.  :cry:  Including our 2 pro bowl safeties. Slow as molasses.

On another note can the Falcons get a uniforms change to the one in my avi? You guys have us wearing the same jerseys as 1991. (grey tops/black bottoms) Would you consider changing to our actual red tops/white bottoms or at least Red Tops?

I love this site and I appreciate the effort. I realize this is a free product. However, it just seems logical that If you guys go through all the work to change helmets/logos when needed each year I was hoping we could get the correct jersey color if not too much more work. Thanks for your consideration. You guys rock.

As I haven't mentioned yet that Dave mentioned, the alternate jerseys for all team are their "throwbacks" to 1991.

The Falcon's main jersey is red jersey with black helmet/pants.  The helmet/pants have to be the same color so white pants=white helmet, which the Falcons have never used.

Asante is probably rated too lowly.

Decoud is pretty good on here.

The ProBowl can be misleading.  If the 49ers wouldn't have made the Super Bowl neither would either safety.

The intro screen showing the Lombardi Trophy has the first word of the Jim Harbaugh/Ben Franklin quote as "CR2014" where it should read "CREDIT." Should be a simple change; just put [45 44 49 54] ("EDIT") at offset x00C129.

Ha, the Browns have yet to name a kicker.

Jaguars look pretty good.

The player data screen color is Jets green. It should be either Teal or Black.

The playbook is pretty bad. MJD will get most of the carries but there is a FB run and a WR reverse in there as of now.

Blaine Gabbert doesnt have long hair anymore.

I'm not sure if we'll get the Jaguar's screen done for the release but you're absolutely right there.

Agree on the playbook, we'll get MJD one more run.

Blaine Gabbert will always have long hair to me, just like Jake Plummer and that mustache he had for a year.  I wish we could have given him more hair. 

Just cracked it open. Looks really cool, guys. Thank you. Really fun.

Only played one game but my first quick observation: Jay Cutler has possibly the strongest arm in the league but is a 38 arm strength on this game.

We'll have to tweak that even if it means we have to turn him into Bubby Brister

Isn't it legally dubious to say "Licensed by Nintendo of America" on the title screen? I realize the original game IS licensed, but I'm unsure if that license extends to TSB 14. Is there way a tweak the copyright info to sidestep any legal claims?

Perhaps putting:

TM© TECMO,LTD 1991,2014

AND

NINTENDO OF AMERICA, INC

would be better, from a legal POV. Not that we'd expect any legal problems, but by the same token, we don't want to misrepresent any claims.

note on the 

keith, unfortunately that is due to TSB TOOL throwing that 2014 in there....it will have to be re-written in hex after each TSB TOOL Application!

My brain just went kablooey!  Thank you, Knobbe!  Soooo awesome.

Tiny, teensy thing, though...

It looks like whatever the helmet color is, the pants have to be the same color, but could you check if there's any way you could make the Browns with one of these?

*1)  orange helmet, brown jersey, orange pants

or

2)  orange helmet, brown jersey, white pants

or

3)  orange helmet, white jersey, white pants

*I see the Bengals have an orange helmet, black jersey, and orange pants, but I think the Browns should have first dibs on orange helmet, dark jersey, and orange pants, no?

That's all...  AWESOME GAME! 

I think this should be possible as long as it doesn't conflict with the Bengals are some other team.

note on the 

keith, unfortunately that is due to TSB TOOL throwing that 2014 in there....it will have to be re-written in hex after each TSB TOOL Application!

That's a good point.  I'll see if putting in a SET command will overwrite this.  If not, it can be manually edited

Isn't it legally dubious to say "Licensed by Nintendo of America" on the title screen? I realize the original game IS licensed, but I'm unsure if that license extends to TSB 14. Is there way a tweak the copyright info to sidestep any legal claims?

Perhaps putting:

TM© TECMO,LTD 1991,2014

AND

NINTENDO OF AMERICA, INC

would be better, from a legal POV. Not that we'd expect any legal problems, but by the same token, we don't want to misrepresent any claims.

Yes, I should have cleared this out initially and haven't yet.