Tecmo Bowl 2014

TecmoTurd

I used to put out a 32-team Tecmo Bowl ROM every year, and it's a big task for sure.  Would anyone have a desire to work on a collaboration project to put together a ROM for next season? I had a few people ask, but I didn't have time to do it myself.  

If people are interested, we can put together a google doc to share and collaborate on.  

I've really gone the college route the last 5 years or so and got out of touch with the NFL.  Obviously talk to Cam about the project.  

We could make one for the Big 10, and just make a bunch of crappy Japan Dallas type teams that suck!   8-)

I used to put out a 32-team Tecmo Bowl ROM every year, and it's a big task for sure.  Would anyone have a desire to work on a collaboration project to put together a ROM for next season? I had a few people ask, but I didn't have time to do it myself.  

If people are interested, we can put together a google doc to share and collaborate on.  

Sounds great! I would love to help, but can not devote a huge amount of time to it (Family with 3 boys all finishing up baseball then on to football).  I would love to be part of it just for the insight into the things I don't know about the Tecmo Bowl ROM. My hacking skills or lack there of are limited, but I would love to be of assistance in some fashion. 

On a side note has anyone ever considered substituting a Cornerback (CB) in place of Outside Linebackers (OLB) in the original Tecmo Bowl.  I ran into an issue on my 1984 ROM Hack where the 49ers sent All four of their DB's to the Pro Bowl, yet with only two positions relegated to the secondary because of the 9 players I left off two important players from the defense.  In an upcoming ROM Hack I am working on, I have substituted some of the OLB for CB's when applicable. By applicable I basically mean puting the best 9 on the field as opposed to 3 down linemen,4 linebackers and 2 DB's or 4 linemen, 3 linebackers, 2 DB's.  In the '84 49ers case I would put 3 linemen, two linebackers and 4 DB's with two of the DB's playing in the OLB positions. Just wondering if anyone else has considered this.

Brad, I think a college one would be fun. I've always hoped someone would use the 32-team ROM for NCAA stuff...even better, I always wanted to run a league where you played with your high school team...ratings would have to be figured out somehow...perhaps a set number of points you could assign, or something fair.  Go Papermakers! That's right, we have a paper-wasp as our mascot.

And Fes, no sweat, I have 3 kids myself. I know how it is...that's why I can't do it on my own...

I wonder if there's a way I can at least setup a base ROM in an automated fashion. That would make rating a ROM tons easier. I do it for RBI...i'll have to look into this. Part of my lack of initiative on this project is a lack of people to play against.  1P TB is not playable...

Too bad, I have tons of ideas...I want to play in a league with the Dylan Panthers/Lions...

I wonder if there's a way I can at least setup a base ROM in an automated fashion. That would make rating a ROM tons easier. I do it for RBI...i'll have to look into this. Part of my lack of initiative on this project is a lack of people to play against. 1P TB is not playable...

Too bad, I have tons of ideas...I want to play in a league with the Dylan Panthers/Lions...

I wonder how Coach Taylor is doing now a days... I miss Riggins.

I'd be up to help in any way I can, which may be a limited fashion due to my lack of experience in this area, but I love playing last years' 2013 preseason ROM with friends. I do, however, have oodles of spare time as an unemployed college student. 

I started writing my own extractor to rip out a base ROM with every guy set to the minimum for their position.  This should DRASTICALLY enhance the editing process.  Now all we focus on is the editing part!  When I get it done, I'll repost and find out who's interested in helping make a 2K14 ROM.  This first part has always been the part I hate, but with a base ROM created, it should be nothing but fun now...

Stay tuned...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So you were thinking of an automated stat puller that would then automatically put those numbers in for the guys and onto the teams each year for the base rom? Thats ingenious but maybe a little overkill? How hard is it to add the stats to the base rom after the team names are loaded with default minimums?

No idea how hacking roms work but ill throw out this idea. Anyway to make the extractor pull all the names and stats from a mysql database or something? Then we could make a web based admin console that people could help update the rosters and stats. Then just create the base rom off that each year. Could even keep updated rosters and statistics through out that year that way easily. 

Do any graphics have to be updated outside of colors?

Really looking forward to this. If all goes well Ill have to make an actual NES cart and make it a prize in my fantasy football league next year!

Edited by primeform

I have an automated stat scraper that dumps all the data (relevant stats, player name, shortened name, jersey number) into a database.  I then go through each team and set their lineup.  Then, there's a third screen that I have that allows me to edit a player either manually, or choosing an original ROM player to base him off of.

Finally, there's a feature that dumps it into the ROM.

No graphics have to be updated outside of colors, there's very little graphics in the game (helmets were removed, endzones just say "TB").