buck

"Street Tecmo" NFL 2013 by buck, rewhawl, jstout "Official Thread" NES TSB

49 posts in this topic

UPDATE January 2013 - see other thread for updated "Playoff Edition", touchbacks, updated teams, etc

http://tecmobowl.org...layoff-edition/

There are 4x roms in the zip - actually, only two games (ROM 1 and ROM 2), but see below for reasoning for the extra two roms
the zip also contains a basic readme, and a png image of a playbook key

xxx..I found a bug with players with 19 Ball Control Rating....sorry about that. The only other change is that R. Jennings (Jags RB on ROM 2) was changed to brown skin.

streetTecmo.zip
post-5602-0-39094600-1347033287_thumb.pn

Documentation

There are two ROMs, each with 16 NFL teams.
The only difference between the ROMs are the teams/rosters/names, etc. and the color of the endzones.

Based on Jstout's "CIFL 7-on-7" NES Tecmo Super Bowl ROM
Upgraded plays (enhanced for the street)
50 yard "field"

COM v MAN (you can play as player 2 if you set up your emulator)
Competitive COM for challenging Season fun

No "Out of Bounds" - you can run into the walls

New Halftime and New Halftime Song
Reduced Cutscreens

Game plays very fast (almost every variable is sped up greatly)
Turnovers and scoring are common
No punts (just "kicker")
Countless Graphic changes

In-game playbook changing
Cool new Uniforms (some throwbacks in there, too)
12-game season with 8-team playoffs

"Heroes" - it's like a mini-game
I have set up the heroes from the original Tecmo Super Bowl game
AFC and NFC - using their original ratings (although some are decreased because it's played as pro-bowl game)
but, it has a totally different feel and challenge than the other modern "street" teams

Pass Accuracy is completion/int variable
KR return at their own Max Speed
Player 2 condition indicator fixed

No pass-defender auto-dive
Quicker dives for defenders

AI hacks
Passing Game Hacks

Bruddog's OL/DL Differential (more random popcorn in the trenches)

HP Hack (MAN v MAN "popcorn" and/or "mash")
Also, HP is quantized to a scale of "0 to 3 extra presses" that are added to grapple counter)
6-25 HP = 0 extra press
31-50 HP = 1 extra press
56-75 HP = 2 extra press
81-100 HP = 3 extra press

-----
EXTRA ("no p2" versions): the (main) 1st version of TSB Street posted on 9-5-12 has a very cool hack (thanks xplozv) that lets you play as the 2nd player (2nd side) vs COM (also in season mode). 
A requirement is that you need to have your emulator set up such that you have control of the 2nd player controller (or if using an actual NES, a controller in port 2!) . In the emulator I use, I have them both programmed to the same controller/buttons. 
If you use an emulator that will not allow you to program or play as a 2nd player controller, I have provided a set of roms with the additional "no p2" characters in the rom filename. this "no p2" will play just like the original TSB - MAN will always be player one side when playing COM.

Therefore I have updated the zip to include these "no p2" versions. I also updated the readme in the zip. No other changes have been made. 
--

We must thank the following, because this rom would not be possible without their past or present help: 
jstout, bruddog, cxrom, bad_al, average tsb player, elway, knobbe, bodom, and xplozv

(jstout did not have any direct hand in the making of this ROM, but we thought we should credit him because we used his CIFL 7-on-7 ROM as our base)

--

This post has been promoted to an article

post-5602-0-39094600-1347033287_thumb.pn

Edited by Knobbe

Good idea and graphics. Tried a game vs joeygats. Was up 48-0 in the third SF vs DAL. The high speed physics(similar to buck high speed I'm guessing) and easy ccs aren't for me. But anyone that liked buck high speed and/or jstouts arena rom will like this.

Acid test vs gats? Lol

Rewhawl and I never had any blow-out games like that. Gats must suck.

Let me make it VERY clear:

this is NOT TSB. it is a totally different game - ON PURPOSE.

it will take some time to adjust and there will be a small learning curve.

this game is not made for people like bruddog.

The odd part about this comment is that Brud doesn't play in HSTL (original league rom) anymore.

its basically a merge of the arena league rom and bucks highspeed physics. If you like those then you will like this rom.

Complete chaos! My defense was better than it looks - Ginas returned 2 fumbles and 1 onside kick for TDs. Definitely a fun game...great work guys.

post-5893-0-88706000-1346909223_thumb.jp

the physics are similar to highspeed (in that it's "faster" than 91 tsb), but actually I started from scratch on "everything" (not just speed variables) to make it play/flow/pass/etc how we like it. this particular engine has gone through many, many revisions.

I had to tweak every single cifl play (some grossly) to make it work how I wanted it to. lots of redesign in the passing game and did a tweak on the com rb AI. the next time I do a street rom like this, I will make all new plays. but I do like the 7on7 and the field.

but the only thing that this shares in common with cifl are the basic design of the plays/formations and the field...believe me, I have gutted the hell out of the game. there are many other "firsts" in here that I'm sure will eventually be acknowledged and hopefully appreciated.

we were not at all trying to make this game play like: cifl, arena, buck highspeed, or tecmo super bowl. we were trying to make a totally different football video game experience. fun vs MAN and COM.

(one known issue is that you shouldn't use a DL (or at least don't instantly rush with one). they can blow up plays too easily.)

I really like it. I wish all the teams were on one rom though. It does take some getting used to. The graphic changes are delicious!

I really like it. I wish all the teams were on one rom though. It does take some getting used to. The graphic changes are delicious!

cool!

just think of "ROM 2" and its teams as a bonus!

(although we tried to rate both roms "together" so that they eventually could be merged) Rom 2 was done for the fans of any of those teams. plus, because those Rom 2 teams are in general rated shittier than Rom 1 teams, Rom 2 has a unique feel to it, in our experience. So I kind of like the separation myself (because they have their own feel), but maybe I'm used to it because we've played them both a lot.

quick bump. for an edit (actually, just an addition to the package)

NOTE: the (regular) 1st version of TSB Street posted on 9-5-12 has a very cool hack (thanks xplozv) that lets you play as the 2nd player (2nd side) vs COM (also in season mode).

A requirement is that you need to have your emulator set up such that you have control of the 2nd player controller (or if using an actual NES, a controller in port 2!) . In the emulator I use, I have them both programmed to the same controller/buttons.

If you use an emulator that will not allow you to program or play as a 2nd player controller, I have provided a set of roms with the additional "no p2" characters in the rom filename. this "no p2" will play just like the original TSB - MAN will always be player one side when playing COM.

Therefore I have updated the zip to include these "no p2" versions. I also updated the readme in the zip. No other changes have been made.

bruddog, you don't need to download this version. it will be a waste of your time.

Let me make it VERY clear:

I was thinking about this a little bit this morning. I think it's just sort of a preference of pace....like the difference between chess and speed chess.

Even if you're perfect defense it's probably not too hard to get lit up....and this is the nature of Arena Ball or Street Ball....it's 70-63 games, not 14-10.

It's just preference which type of chess you like to play.

I was thinking about this a little bit this morning. I think it's just sort of a preference of pace....like the difference between chess and speed chess.

Even if you're perfect defense it's probably not too hard to get lit up....and this is the nature of Arena Ball or Street Ball....it's 70-63 games, not 14-10.

It's just preference which type of chess you like to play.

yes, this is a new and different TSB GAME. Rewhawl and I were able to accomplish our vision of a Street Tecmo game that is truly unique, and the end result is way beyond my initial expectations. We are very proud of it.

It is NOT MEANT to supplant TSB or any other TSB variant (including my own many TSB variants). It is supposed to be it's own thing, added to the pile of great TSB hacks.

Take it for what it is, please. And please appreciate the other crazy things I did to this rom that have never been done before.

If you want to call it 'speed chess', then that makes sense. It sure is fast, you have to make very quick decisions, and bullshit does happen - for you and against you.

if bruddog wants to keep being a hater of every rom I make, he can. that has become obvious to me by now. I won't take that guys posts seriously anymore. but, I hope he never plays any ROMs of mine ever again. and if he does, I want to let him know that I think his avatar makes him look like a total d-bag.

PS - DOCUMENTATION and some screenshots are UP!

Let he who has never gone to another rom maker's thread to tell them he didn't like what they were doing cast the first stone - Tecmo 8:7

Let he who has never gone to another rom maker's thread to tell them he didn't like what they were doing cast the first stone - Tecmo 8:7

it's true, I have sinned and fallen short of the glory of Big Red.

but for a dbag who should know how much work this stuff takes and he should be able to obviously see how much modification took place - to just come in and make some general comment like the game is this and that...trigger has totally lost my respect.

hey you, I put RATHMAN on the Hero team...just for you! (it was a toss-up between Rathman and Muster, but because of TBO fame, Rathman got the nod.) how's that for a blowjob?

The only time, I've found, that we can set an expectation for blowjobs is when we're dating younger women.

RATHMAN IS A MAN AMONG MEN.

I'm still waiting for High-Speed 2012. That and the TSB.org 2012 release are the only versions of Tecmo Super Bowl that I play with any kind of consistency (several times a year, maybe).

Buck should i get all mad an remove all my roms and posts now because you think my picture of myself "makes me look like a douche". I suppose the picture of james brown with soup was infinitely cooler. Whatever.

But seriously Im just being honest man. Am i supposed to say i love your rom if i dont? It doesnt mean its not a great rom it just means i personally dont want to play it. Im a critical person so dont take it personally.

Im a minority on this board. I find playing the computer terrible because the computers logic is so poor. The computer only succeeds through attribute and probability boosts. There is no fun in that FOR ME PERSONALLY. I know this is also a man rom but again i dont enjoy the sped up physics. The time machine rom was the best yearly greats rom i have seen to date.

I can definitely appreciate the amount of work that went into it. Especially graphically. The no out of bounds i would call a groundbreaking hack. What are the other major firsts? Not trying to be a dick just curious as to what they are.

Wow, this rom is on crack dude LOL!! Very fast, very fun, very dificult!!

Edited by MrNational808

BUCK BUCK BUCK... Buck shots out the sunroof...

This ROM hack is awesome. Great job! One of the things I like a lot is that the CPU is so much better. They are greatly improved. I like how most of the time I am unable to break a tackle. It is too easy when you are able to break tackles against the CPU. I have a question. Is there some other ROM hack that somebody made in which it is the normal TSB game but only with a greatly improved CPU like it is in this hack?

BUCK BUCK BUCK... Buck shots out the sunroof...

This ROM hack is awesome. Great job! One of the things I like a lot is that the CPU is so much better. They are greatly improved. I like how most of the time I am unable to break a tackle. It is too easy when you are able to break tackles against the CPU. I have a question. Is there some other ROM hack that somebody made in which it is the normal TSB game but only with a greatly improved CPU like it is in this hack?

yes, see the thread link in my signature http://tecmobowl.org...-rip-buck-roms/

and then the zip at the bottom of the first post.

In the post itself, there is a link to the thread or info about the ROMs inside the zip. I also briefly explain the type of TSB hack, too.

every TSB game I make has a challenging COM. that has always been an emphasis of mine.

wait...I re-read your post - are you asking for the "1991 TSB" with tougher COM? Rewhawl and I made a cool TSB for last season (in the zip, see "enhanced 11-12") it is just like the 91 game except for updated rosters and some slight hackage, and Tough COM. but we used the same distribution/rating spread as the original (opposed to the more recent style of rating every single team with awesome players at every position...eyesroll ).

a "fan favorite" has always been "TSB Time Machine". that's in the zip, too. it is similar to the original TSB gameplay, but there is an HP hack and very tough COM.

wtf, chuck? one of my best lines ever got erased! censorship? but you left the "bag of dicks" post in? wow.

Since this is my thread, I'll say it again:

"My avatar may not be Princess Leia with a crystal ball stick, but I do know a thing or two about Football and Tecmo Super Bowl"

Thank you, Goodnight.

Edited by buck