The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament - October 13, 2012

The New York City Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

When: Saturday, October 13th, 2012- Registration starts @ 11:30 AM EST; Play will start @ 12:00PM EST.

Location: BREAK Bar & Billiards, 32-04b Broadway, Astoria, NY 11106

(Approx. 15 minutes from Midtown Manhattan, Uptown N train to Broadway in Queens)

Desired Number of Participants: 32

Buy-in: $20 cash at the door for Prize Money and Tournament Entry Fee

Equipment: We need Nintendos, TVs, Controllers, Carts! If you are able to bring any of these in working condition, please let us know what you can bring and how many of each. If you are able to provide any television sets, please let us know the size and any kind of hookup.

Tourney Format: World Cup style Pool Play. All participants from each pool are seeded into Elimination Bracket to decide the NYC Tecmo Super Bowl Champion!

Prizes: Trophy and/or cash prize will be awarded to tourney champion, as well as to runner up.

How to Register: E-mail [email protected] by September 30th, 2012. Please indicate the number of participants, their names, e-mails, and contact numbers, and what they will be able to bring.

Questions: Feel free to post questions about the tournament below or you can direct them to [email protected]

SYT on October 13!

2012tourneypromo.jpg

any local places to stay that you recommend?

You should look at staying here:

Lexington & Gates area in Bed Stuy, Brooklyn you will probably like the most - not too far from where tourney is & get a good deal.

or:

Bushwick,

East New York

(New Lots Ave)

ALso if wanna stay in Jersey I think you'll have a good time in Camden, NJ

You'll do good at any of those areas.

See you in OCtober

- some very good prices there as opposed to $500 - $2k a night in Midtown, MAnhattan & up

Edited by arncoem

any local places to stay that you recommend?

I'm just a neighborhood away in Long Island City, and there are some affordable hotels in the area. To the tourney site, it's a quick train ride or about a $10 cab. It's also just like a 15 minute train ride to midtown Manhattan, if you're looking to make a weekend out of it and spend some time in the city while you're here.

Best Western City View, 3317 Greenpoint Ave, Long Island City, NY, 11101 - Just checked this and they're offering standard rooms for $119 for that weekend. Also, a lovely view of a huge cemetery lol.

Queensborough Hotel, 3805 Hunters Point Ave., Long Island City, NY, 11101 - This used to be a Holiday Inn Express until about a year ago. My mom has stayed there when she's come to visit, and it's clean and fine with good-sized rooms. Standard going for $125.

La Quinta Queens, 37-18 Queens Boulevard, Long Island City, NY 11101 - A little closer to the $150 range, but it has the advantage of being closer to the public transportation; while the other two are like a ten-minute walk to the 7 train, this one is just two blocks away. Also, the other two are in a more residential section of the neighborhood, while this one is close to the restaurants and bars.

Anyway, these are the places in the vicinity of the tourney that I'd consider if I were coming in from out of town. Hope this helps.

Edited by deadfaulkner

Hey tucker, where are you from? I'm sure there are probably a couple of guys in this area willing to play before the tourney to hone their skills.

Make sure to e-mail your info to [email protected] Also make sure to indicate any equipment you can bring or other people who may be coming along. I'll be posting/sending out tourney rules soon. It should be similar to last year's: http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/12676-the-new-york-tecmo-super-bowl-tournament-october-1-2011/page__st__20

I'm in Manhattan, happy to go to BK or Queens or where ever. I'll check out the rules.

I'd be happy to get in a couple of practice games with you, Tucker - I could use the practice too. I'm in LIC, Queens. I'll be in and out of town for the next couple of weeks, but after that I'm down.

What is the nearest airport?

Laguardia (LAG) is literally a stone's throw away - only thing is that LAG doens't offer as many flight as Kennedy (JFK) - JFK is only 10 minutes from Laguardia so both are fine to fly into & a $20 cab ride to Queens after.

THere are cheap flights in/out of Westchester (HPN) on JetBlue but you would have to rent a car & drive 35-60 minutes depending on traffic after - probably don't check there unless JEt Blue doesn't go to JFK from where you live & have free flight from them that have to use..

Newark, NJ (EWR) is about a 45 - 60 minutes drive

Hit me up if going to fly in as I've flown in/out of JFK & LAguardia over 50x each: [email protected]

The New York Tournament is currently over half full. There are some folks from last year and some newcomers, which is always good to have. If you're thinking of coming, especially if traveling from afar, please let me know soon.

Current Participants (40)

Alain B - Avondale PA

Anthony M - Albany NY

Brad T - New York NY

Brian R - Bronx NY

Cody K - Reeders PA

Darin H - Lebanon PA

Dave G - Greenfield MA

David T - Hoboken NJ

Derek A - Deerfield MA

Derek T - New York NY

Erik M - Meriden CT

Francis B - Buffalo NY

Greg H - Astoria NY

Jamie J - Brooklyn NY

Jason C - Fair Haven NJ

Jim T - Albany NY

Josh N - Bridgewater MA

Kevin H - Medford MA

Kevin S - Stratford CT

Louis B - Buffalo NY

Marc P - Laurence Harbor NJ

Marshall M - Tarrytown NY

Matt A - Westbury NY

Matt B - Long Island City NY

Matt D - Tannersville PA

Matt T - Sunderland MA

Matthew D - New York NY

Matthew T - Hershey PA

Michael D - Rosedale NY

Mike L - Levittown NY

Mike P - Laurence Harbor NJ

Nathan F - New York NY

Patrick B - Elmsford NY

Pete D - Wallingford CT

Pete S - Hershey PA

Ricardo I - Tannersville PA

Rosheen M - Rosedale NY

Sean M - Glen Ridge NJ

Shawn S - Mountainhome PA

Tom R - Bridgewater MA

Would any NYC players be up for playing a few games in advance of this tournament? Been a while since I've played a human and I want to make sure I've played at least one game under whatever rules y'all use.

I'm up for some 'human' game play. I'm from Westchester just North of you.

Great to have you back, Rob! I assume your other contact info is the same. E-mail me if there's anything that you can bring.

I would recommend some guys get practice against a MAN opponent before the tournament. Some of the competition can be pretty fierce.

We're at 24 participants right now and there are a few more who have e-mailed interest that I'm waiting on. This is filling up quicker than I thought.

The format will be based on the number of participants. Initially, I had envisioned all participants in group play to advance to the elimination round based on last year's turnout (about 20), but we already have more than that number signed up this year (and the tourney is over a month away). If we have a lot of participants, it may be the top two from each group advancing to the elimination round. In short, it will almost certainly be group play, followed by an elimination round.

The matchup is chosen by the coin toss winner. The other player either decides which team or which controller he wants to use. This year, no teams will be banned.