For all those with perfect seasons

MY FYN 79

Old TSBer here that dug it out of the closet around 4 months ago.

I just wanna ease my mind, because I play the game almost every day now and out of 7 seasons, I've only gone 19-0 once and that was with the 9ers. All the other seasons have been 13-3 except for the Raiders.. that season was 14-2. Clearly I made plenty of mistakes, but the seasons always seem to end very similar. Some of the seasons I lost in either the playoffs or Super Bowl also.

I genuinely wanna get better, but when I hear people talking about the computer being "too easy", clearly, I'm missing something. When I play, I absolutely do not NTD, do not onside kick (intentionally), do not reset the game, and do not manipulate anything with the opposing teams. I'm not whining, I just wanna know how people combat how vicious the computer gets with fumbles etc. later in the season. I was 8-0 with the Falcons tonight and had to face the 9ers. I ran them pretty fair the first meeting in the season until they amped up my fumbles and picks. Tonight was a cc' fest with Taylor and Rice, Carter had some ridiculous returns also.. surprisingly none of which were all the way... that was a couple weeks ago with the Cardinals. :) I came up short in the game.

As an example, I know how to stop the "up the gut" play with Barry Word, but the problem I have is that they have another play of the same formation. If I attempt to stop the run, I get fried on the pass. If I lay back a little bit I get smoked on the run.

I can play the game the rest of my life and not get any better because the same things seem to be happening over and over again. For those that are good, how important is recognizing the plays? That is one area I really struggle with. Could someone throw me a bone here?

I'm not the TSBer a lot of others here are. However, I used to run off perfect seasons with a myriad of teams before I truly knew about some of the glitches/exploits like the NTD. I've won the Super Bowl twice with the Cardinals, and once with a perfect season.

Defensively, I always play as a LB. I know the KC formation you're talking about. You have to gamble a bit, and there are very subtle little things which can tip you off as to whether it's a run or pass sometimes. In the end though I usually just rush in to plug the hole, and then hope I can get my LB back into coverage the split second I realize Word's not getting the ball.

Honestly though on defense against the CPU I usually just play as "Prevent" as possible. The key is to pick the one pass play that can kill you or hurt you the worst, pick it every single time, and then build your own defensive play around not worrying about that one play and taking out everything else. They'll still hurt you with that play and beat the blitz on rare occasions... but it's rare enough that it's a risk worth taking. On very rare occasions I'll key in on a particular running play instead. KC is actually one of the teams where I'll sometimes take away the rushing play where Word rushes to the right, and then play the opposite OLB and hope I can shut down all rushing up the gut and to the other side.

Against the CPU I've played this way forever. If they have a flea flicker in the playbook, that's the one I'm shutting down all game long because I'll be dumb and bite on it every... single.. time.... If they have no real good deep passes but a good Play Action (particularly in the first passing play slot) I'll often pick that all game long. And sometimes, I just pick B+Down all game long because that's often the play with the deepest routes and I'll dare a team to beat me on the ground or to pick me apart with shorter passes that I can more-easily get my LB back into coverage for.

Offensively, I did find "money plays" that you can get even if the CPU picks your play. Passing to the TE on the Pro T Flare play even in the face of a blitz works. I know some consider this cheating, but honestly you have to have a decent TE to do it and I'e found only a handful of teams that can do it well. And late in the season, it's even less-reliable because of the juice the CPU gets. I don't find it as "money" as some of the money plays that are in Madden and NCAA games either.

Teams can and sometimes still will beat you (or at least hurt you), but season after season against the CPU has taught me that this works about as reliably as anything does in TSB. I still have had bad seasons, or been knocked out int he first round... things like that. It happens. It's just TSB.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share some tips.

It helps to know that sometimes the CPU can pull a win out of its you_know_what. I just get too wrapped up in reading comments about playing the CPU, then get frustrated when I suddenly fumble 4 times in one game and throw 2 mid-throw jj picks that shouldnt be. Pro T flare plays are excellent, I love dumping it over the middle when the blitz comes in.. but like you said, it still takes halfway decent players to make it work on the move.

I probably could have done even better with the 9ers when I used them for a season, but I didnt wanna keep cc'ing against others teams cause thats a bad habit to get into for when you arent using a QB as good as Montana... or for when Ronnie is in town!

Honestly, I usually need to reset once or twice a season to go undefeated, but I do think I have gone undefeated with every team with no resets at one time or another. With some of the really shitty teams, sometimes I'll be reduced to running 5 yards and out of bounds with the QB every play.

On defense I also recommend keying on the one play that has burned you the most in the past and then dealing with everything else. For KC I will usually pick one of the pass plays that fakes the run up the middle, so I know when I see that formation I don't have to worry about the pass. I set up to dive the RB as he comes through, usually with a DB, and if it's a pass it takes too long to develop when picked so it's a sack every time.

It is mostly luck with the CPU. You can pick pass every time and sit back with a DB and watch the CPU suck it up, then play the exact same game and watch him pick you apart. It's because the playcalling is random. If good plays are called you can get burned, if not it's easy.

I went 18-0 with the Pats once then lost in the Super Bowl. Ohhhh. Seriously, who burns their own team?

I'm also one of those people who thinks playing the computer is too easy. There's certain plays on offense that ALWAYS work even if your play is picked...and you can pick the same play over and over without the COM catching on. While I might give up 14-21 a game towards the end of the season when the COM is juiced, I tend to score on 90% of my possessions...maybe 80% when the fumbles don't go my way. It's hard to lose.

MAN vs. MAN is a different story and entirely different strategy. I'd probably get smoked by the majority of people on here because I haven't played MAN vs MAN competitively in about 15 years.

I'd suggest watching some youtube videos of league/tourney play. You'll probably pick up some strategies to use, how to stop certain plays, etc...

Playing as one of the lower tiered teams in terms of talent with a 14-0 record, three injuries, almost the rest of the team in bad health and going up against 6-8 otherwise great team having an off year can get pretty difficult.

Its varied for myself. Some seasons I can go 19-0 with no real challenges with a team like the Falcons only to turn in a 13-3 with Pittsburgh. Typically a horrifically timed fumble in a tight game.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips. I've still been plugging away almost every day and had some highs, and also some pretty frustrating lows.

This is the breakdown of my seasons since I brought out the NES again-

Season 1 Bucs 13-3

Season 2 Giants 13-3

Season 3 Oilers 13-3

Season 4 Lions 14-2 -- This was someone elses season I took over on a TSB game I bought. Started out 8-0 and JB had 45 sacks already. NTD city. :lol:

Season 5 Raiders 14-2

Season 6 49ers 19-0

Season 7 Patriots 13-3

Season 8 Falcons 15-1

Season 9 Bears 15-1

My stats have been improving and I picked up some good moves along the way. Still tough to battle when you are undefeated and the fumbles and INTs kick in.

My Season 10 is with the Chargers, and I'm trying a possible theory I have... I'm gonna try not winning by so much and see if it will decrease the computer juice towards the end of the season. I destroyed some teams with the Bears when Singletary and Carrier were juiced up, (67-9 mid season over the Lions comes to mind, they had almost zero offensive yards). I've tried two games so far like that and they've gone very well.. my guys are staying in better shape and the games seem to go much smoother. Up until this point my goal was always to crush the other team as bad as possible.

Does my theory hold any water or am I wasting my time?

My Season 10 is with the Chargers, and I'm trying a possible theory I have... I'm gonna try not winning by so much and see if it will decrease the computer juice towards the end of the season. I destroyed some teams with the Bears when Singletary and Carrier were juiced up, (67-9 mid season over the Lions comes to mind, they had almost zero offensive yards). I've tried two games so far like that and they've gone very well.. my guys are staying in better shape and the games seem to go much smoother. Up until this point my goal was always to crush the other team as bad as possible.

Does my theory hold any water or am I wasting my time?

It holds some water, but I don't believe it has anything to do with POINTS. Every WIN you have (above 0.500) increases the COM boosts.

• 1 month later...

I'm stuck in a 15-1 rut. 8):razz:

While keeping the games closer doesnt seem to help the juice like Buck said, it does seem to go a little ways towards keeping the guys in better shape. I've even started just punting when I get the ball if (and only if) I'm up comfortably. It hurts my stats, but I want that 16-0 without using the 9ers.

Finished out my Charger season strong and had a typical ending VS. the Broncos in week 17. Near the end of game, I'm down 17-23, driving the ball good and almost there for a game winning TD. They pick my play, crush me long before I can make it OOB, I fumble the ball and they run it back. 15-1 season. I reset the game quick to play them again and pummeled em 49-13. That totally doesnt count though. Why do they get so easy the 2nd time even if your record is still perfect? 16-0 would be easy if you reset the game but I want a true 16-0 again without using the 9ers like I said above.

This morning I finished a season with the Bengals. They are a very well rounded team other than their playbook is pretty weak. I've been limiting myself to only changing 1 play, and that was putting in a Pro T pass play. Getting towards the end of the season I only had 3 plays that didnt 90% of the time result in a fumble or loss of yards. Both of Brooks runs and the Pro T play I put in were the best. Went 15-1 on this season too. Lots of tough games, but the Giants edged me out 22-24. They must have had ESP all the times they were picking my plays. The loss was easier to swallow because it wasnt a CPU induced fumblefest for me like a game in week 17 would be.

As long as you're not down on yourself! :razz: I consider myself pretty good, definitely not the best but pretty good, and i can't usually go 19-0 either. Somewhere in all these forums are repetitive threads where peeps have tiered teams in the game and for the most part it's those teams that everyone puts in the top tier that i can go 19-0 with. I can surely say i have done it with half of the teams in the game, and i stay fair as well. I don't lurch. I try not to JJ. I will typically never juke (the up and down motion with ball carriers that the CPU can't catch). And NO RESETTING (that's gay). But point of fact, i usually give myself more of a challenge. Teams that have those WR reverse plays i will change those for them (they hardly ever work). And for the terrible teams i will switch the plays so that they resemble more of the MANvMAN setups we players do - pass and run plays that start with similar sets and routes. I just don't want the game to be too easy. It wouldn't be any fun.

One of these days i'm gonna do some seasonal play with ALL teams having those similar set run/pass plays to really see how much of a challenge it can be.

Being a LB on defense all the time? Wow. Couldn't do that personally. I'm usually a CB, on lots of teams they are the fastest player on that team and they're closer to the LoS to stop developing plays quicker. But everybody's views differ. You just have to remember that there is indeed an offensive man for every defensive man on the field and you gotta hope that you're the one intended for the QB on the current play. That or use your teammates to lose your offensive pursuer on run plays. Some times you can 'bump' a grappling team mate and free him by knocking down his opponent. But if you are especially weak this will only drop you flat so it pays to know your physical attributes and condition before attempting this. And god forbid don't cut! Never make sudden turns, 90 degrees. Run as circular as you can, it builds speed. It really is best to perfect your defense cause in this league/game defense really does win championships. Offense is relatively easy.

You use your strong points on offense, plain and simple. And when you're the lower teams, they will be few and far between. Sometimes your best bet will be to do as previously typed - grind it out by running only five yards and out. With a QB. Sad, but sometimes it's all you have. That may be the hardest thing in this game - adapting yourself from top tier team play where every run is for a TD and every pass is caught for a first and you only hold onto the ball for a Tecmo minute to bottom feeder play where you have to grind it out for a whole Tecmo quarter just to get to midfield.

Oh, and of course rule number one: DON'T BE THE COLTS!

• 1 month later...

Been slacking lately, but finished a season today with the Rams. Thought I had a good shot at 16-0, but I couldnt recover from 2 fumbles the Skins laid on me and made points from. Had a couple interesting situations this season, but not much new from other times I've whined about it. :)

One noteworthy game was against the Saints though. I had them covered, but they put together an insane 2nd half.. and managed to grab the onside at the end of the game. Walsh tosses up a slop TD pass with no time left to tie it up. OT. I get the toss (yay!), and my very first offensive play was.. yup, you guessed it, a fumble. Put up a wall and pushed them backwards, they punt and I buzz a couple quick plays and kick a FG to win. That was a close one!

Now to decide which team to use next...

I'm going to preface this by saying that I am a pretty good TSB player becuase I have been playing for 20 years, But certainly not the best. There are players who are much better than me, but I can win one outta three vs any opponent, which isn't saying much.

I'm in the process of winning the super bowl with every team. So far, I have completed about half the seasons and kept and cataloged some of the best players stats. So far, most of the seasons, I went 15-1. Usually the loss was a close game and the COM running a "marshawn lynch type" 99 yard untouchable touchdown at the end to win it or something crazy. I think I only went 13-3 once. I have only went perfect with a couple teams, but found that going perfect was very difficult.

Many on here are right, you need the right combonation of plays, because I am more of a passer and twards the end of the season, with a team with a bad RB, running becomes impossible. This is where some key pass plays are very important. To where if it is picked or if everyone is covered, you can still complete a pass. I am more of an effeciency player. I don't do the bombs to get JJs or CCs or whatever you wanna call them. I'm more of a find the TE, or RB in the flat. Usually, with teams like the Dolphins, I'll put Jim Jensen in the FB position and he'll end up leading my team in receptions with about 69 for the season.

I am usually the LB, unless there is a much better or faster DB option available. I like the John Offerdahl/Mike Singletary spot best. I can run in to stop the run or go into coverage if needed. I have found that being a good DB can get me about 25 sacks and about 10 interceptions on the season. If I am a good Linebacker, I can get 80-120 sacks. For me, the linebacker position is a more effecient position. If you were drafting a team and said, ok, you can draft this DB that will get you 10 picks and 25 sacks, or a LB that will get you 80 sacks. The linebacker would be a better bang for your buck.

Think of it this way, a pick is a turnover. So, that is equivelent to three sacks and a punt. So, three sacks times ten picks is 30 sacks. Plus the 25 sacks that he gets puts you at about 55 sacks. The linebacker is still a better option at this point most of the time. Not all of the time, but most of the time. I'm in the process of analysing more of this data as some of my seasons come to an end.

Also, with the linebacker, I can break up flea flickers, play action, runs up the middle and reverses much easier. for instance. Using the dolphins vs the bills. When you are john offerdahl, I pick run #1 all the time. When it's picked, you rush in an stop Thurman Thomas. The QB will throw the ball on the ground and you'll be able to pick up the fumble and usually score a defensive TD. I almost scored 1000 points in a season using the dolphins because of exploiting this play. Most week one's vs the bills end up being 80-0 or 67-3 or something crazy. It also helps that when using the dolphins, you play the patriots and colts twice a season. And then the jets and bills twice a season who also use that play that can be exploited. One of my best seasons, I only gave up 87 points on the whole season, which averages to giving up only 5 and a half points a game. enough bragging, I have a harder time using the DBs, but it is more fun to go for the INT instead of the sack.

I'm still working on perfecting my craft on being the DB. I have found that keeping your man shorter is better. when you are super deep, the WR can JJ the catch or still catch it in coverage, especially in juice mode. But, when playing shorter, you can jump and bat the ball before the WR gets his crazy JJ. Im working on keeping coverage on the shorter options until the long WRs get off the screen, then following behind them until the pass is thrown and trying not to go too deep into coverage.

...gotta back back to work, but hopefully more to come.

I did this journey when the game was new and I was a kid. I had a steno pad with all my stats for all 28 seasons. God I wish I still had that pad. :)

I'm going to do this again one day soon. All those that are doing this please post more!

I did this journey when the game was new and I was a kid. I had a steno pad with all my stats for all 28 seasons. God I wish I still had that pad. :)

I'm going to do this again one day soon. All those that are doing this please post more!

I can't wait to finish my journey. I have probably won the super bowl with every team, but I never saved all the stats and game saves to refer back to. It's a lot of work and a LOT of time, as you all know. And it's real gameplay. Many games were played with my son on my lap, pulling at the cord. Some games were played late at night half drunk. Some games were played on my lunch break, some in the morning very tired, it's all real life gameplay.

When the journey is finished, I'm going to compile the stats and make a "pro bowl" team with all the best players that had the best seasons during my journey. I'm also looking to find some suprises that might get on the team over players with better attributes. For instance, Jim Jensen will end up on my team, either #1 or #2 TE. He's not the best, but he earned his spot. (plus we are facebook friends)

When I'm finished, I'll post my stats. I didn't record the stats for everyone, just the key contributors on each team. This epic journey continues to make the game more fun to me than any current game producted in the last 20 years. It's also amazing how much you can still learn from a game that you thought you had 100% figured out.

Just finished my season with the Colts. Finished 16-0 and won the super bowl. That was tuff because they are a bad team. a real bad team. like not only the worst in the game, but one of the worst teams ever.....of all time....and not only football too. I'm sure they are also the worst baseball and basketball and hockey team too.

When I started the season, after week 3, I thought "this is going to be a long season" and it certainly was. The key is using whoever is in better condition at quarterback and going with the hot hand. Luckily, Trudeau was in EXCELLENT for about a 6 game streak and when he wasnt' George was in Good or EXCELLENT. There isn't really a "go to" person. Like with the Raiders, you can always call on Bo to get you out of a jam or Okoye or any superstar.

I used Verdin at TE and move Beach to FB.

A few things I learned, Pat Beach sucks donkey balls. I dunno why there is a "following" of this guy.

he had many key drops when he was just all alone by himself. Verdin really stepped up at the TE position especially on plays where the TE goes long.

The only thing I did differently with the colts was really focus. I really had to focus to pull out wins. There was no sitting back, feet on the desk and picking any play. Going for it on 4th and 26 in my own territory....you better punt. Many games were close, as scoring 50 points a game midseason becomes very difficult. Luckily they have a realitivly weak schedule.

After going through this colts season, it really makes you appreciate Defenders who can actually defend. Becuase the colts don't have any. There fastest defender is 44ms. (keith Taylor) who only managed 4 picks (2 in one game) and 4 sacks all season. Otherwise, I used Fredd Young, only because he has two DDs at the end of his name. So, I call him Fredddddd.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I paid attention again for a change, and just finished an undefeated season with the Saints and one with the Colts. No lurching, no changing opposing team's playbook, but I did change the Colts playbook before the first Bills game and kept it changed for the rest of the season. The Saints are always a lot of fun. I won a playoff game against the Giants 56-27. The Giants had more yards of offense; I slaughtered them thanks to great returns by Heyward. I think I had 2 return TDs that game.

The Colts season was indeed brutal. In the playoffs I beat the Dolphins 35-23, the Bengals 40-23, and the Giants in the Super Bowl 38-16. The draw of these teams was pretty lucky because they all have really easy playbooks to defend against. I had some regular season games against supposedly worse opponents that were closer than these.

Defense with the Colts is more about knowing how to play against the opposing team's playbook, checking your defensive players' conditions before games you know will be tough and tailoring your defense around those players. On offense if one of the other RBs had higher MS than Bentley, I would shift Bentley to TE. Otherwise my TE was whoever had better ratings. I always check every quarter.

Here are my team leaders for the Colts season:

PASS

Jeff George 100/136 2036-YDS 21-TD 2-INT

Jack Trudeau 36/57 995-YDS 10-TD 2-INT

RUN

Albert Bentley 159/1181 7.4-AVG 30-TD

Ivy Joe Hunter 45/298 6.6-AVG 10-TD

REC

Jessie Hester 34/990 29.1-AVG 11-TD

Bill Brooks 18/683 37.9-AVG 9-TD

Albert Bentley 41/515 12.5-AVG 2-TD

DEFENSE

Fredd Young 21 sacks

Jeff Herrod 9 sacks

Chris Goode 8 sacks, 2 ints

Chip Banks 6 sacks

Eugene Daniel 5 sacks, 1 int

Keith Taylor 2 ints

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed a season with the Bears. Went 15-1. The one loss was a 14-13 thriller to the Lions. Kevin Butler had a 40 yard FG blocked on the last play of the game. It was completely improbable thanks to a Lions defender on crack speeding around the end of the line. I had forgotten how difficult the games get after you are roughly 12-0 or so. And the fumbles- LORD the fumbles!! Plus, having so many guys in “Bad” at critical points is rough sledding! But it’s still awesome.

After cruising through the playoffs (def Eagles 16-0, 49ers 21-7), I faced the Chiefs in the Super Bowl without Neal A. Great game, it took an M Tomczak drive from inside his own 10 with a minute left to tie it with an FG as time expired. Bears won the OT coin toss, but the Chiefs onsided and recovered, then kicked an FG on the first play to win it! I thought J Morrissey was there in time for the block, but it was not the case. When the words “Super Champion KC Chiefs” scrolled across the screen, I felt like the Patriots do right now.

I also forgot how awful the Bears passing game was. Between 2 bad QB’s and R Morris or W Davis, there were so many times completing a “forward pass” was a real struggle.

Here are some stats:

PASS

Mike Tomczak 81/144 1770 yards 20 TD 9 INT

Jim Harbaugh 14/23 263 yards 4 TD 2 INT

RUSH

Neal Anderson 169/1718 10.1 AVG 27 TD

Mark Green 21/80 3.8 AVG 3 TD

Johnny Bailer 23/247 10.7 AVG 3 TD

Tomczak 38/231 6.0 AVG 3 TD

REC

Ron Morris 16/719 44.9 AVG 10 TD

Wendell Davis 20/476 23.8 AVG 9 TD

Neal Anderson 21/352 16.2 AVG 1 TD

Brad Muster 17/260 15.2 AVG 4 TD

DEFENSE

Singletary 21 sacks, 1 INT

Richard Dent 14 sacks

William Perry 5 sacks

Trace Armstrong 7 sacks

Dan Hampton 6 sacks

Shaun Gayle 4 INT

Donnell Woolford 2 INT, 1 TD

Another thing I forgot (and wanted some feedback on) was how many players on opposing teams typically get injured when you guys play your seasons? Half of the guys I hurt were on KR, here's the list:

Blair Thomas

Jeff Query- KR (I enjoyed smashing him)

Gil Fenerty- KR

Herschel Walker- KR

Alfred Anderson- KR

Mark Duper

Mel Gray- KR

Roger Craig

Dexter Carter

KRs do get hurt more often. It's in the instruction manual.

And you need to practice with those Bears. I go undefeated every time with the Bears. They even have a good playbook so I don't even change it. Stop using the line so much and learn how to play with Carrier. He's the best ball hawk in the game. I suck at picks but even I get at least 8 or 9 a season with him.

Funny you bring this up because I'm doing a season with the Bears right now. My first season with them was 15-1 also.. can grab those season stats tomorrow.

I really like comparing stats to others seasons with the same team. I much preferred Tomczak myself, and had several 100% completion games with him.

I absolutely crushed the Lions in the first meeting (mid 60s to 9), but no doubt that had a lot to do with Singletary and Carrier being jacked up for that game. The 9ers beat me in the last week, and without looking I believe it was some last second antics.

Mark Carrier is a beast, but I feel Wayne Haddix is the better of the two. I actually dont mind the Bucs, just gotta deal with their horrible ball control. ;-)

I also made a spreadsheet on Word with the stats from the 13 seasons I've completed so far. Kinda neat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a season with the Eagles and FINALLY went 16-0 with a team other than the 49ers. What a weight off my back. :P No playbook changes, lurching, or resetting games.

I still much prefer the Bears as a team, but Cunningham is absolutely clutch against the cpu at the end of the season when you need a quick QB to do some sneaking with.

A couple Eagle season stats-

16-0 1.000 663-190

Total O 21st. 4106 1897 2209

Total D 1st. 2758 1719 1039

Scoring 1st. Cunningham 50TD

Cunningham passing 107 78 31TDs 3INT

1753 16.3 avg 72.8% 215.9

" " rushing 255 2047 8.0 avg 50TDs

I like the TE Keith Jackson too. 54 896 16.5 avg 21TDs

We should start a thread with something you can copy/paste to put your season stats into!