TSB 2011 Please Test My ROM

proads26

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go over your rosters and correct all the names.

Bills- Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geoff Hangartner

Dolphins- Brandon Marshall

So on and so on. This will make your rom feel complete for your cart transfer. :)

elway, this post has been on my mind for a while, it seemed like such reasonable input that I had to look into it again. I realized that the problem was in a formula in my spreadsheet. I do not want any names my ROM longer than fifteen characters, I had the number fifteen so firmly in my mind that when i wrote one of the formulas involved in formatting the names I wrote <15 in a portion of it, which would equal fourteen at the most. By changing that portion of the formula to <16, which can equal fifteen at the most, I was able to address all the names mentioned in this post and many others. There are still a few players that have names which are just too long, but the change in the formula did address most of the players. Thank you for this input, it really does make my ROM so much better!

I also updated the Cowboys kick returners, I think Owusu-Ansah only had the job during the preseason, Test85 is in my original post like always.

I haven't downloaded Test85 yet, but after playing 4 season games with the Steelers, I'm kinda disappointed that they haven't worn yellow yet. Every one of their first four games featured plain white shirts with black helmets and pants. It seemed too generic for me, and it's not like they were playing any other teams that wore yellow.

Thanks for fixing the character limit on names, though. I do appreciate that.

EDIT: Okay, I've done a quick check with the Steelers against most teams in Test85. They barely wear their famous black-and-yellow color scheme at all. If it weren't for the name, you wouldn't think you were playing with the Steelers, just some generic black and white team. When the yellow DOES come in, it is a very very pale yellow, so much so that I had to squint at the screen to tell it apart from white. Make it bold so people can see it, and give them yellow more often. It looks too bland otherwise.

I haven't downloaded Test85 yet, but after playing 4 season games with the Steelers, I'm kinda disappointed that they haven't worn yellow yet. Every one of their first four games featured plain white shirts with black helmets and pants. It seemed too generic for me, and it's not like they were playing any other teams that wore yellow.

Thanks for fixing the character limit on names, though. I do appreciate that.

EDIT: Okay, I've done a quick check with the Steelers against most teams in Test85. They barely wear their famous black-and-yellow color scheme at all. If it weren't for the name, you wouldn't think you were playing with the Steelers, just some generic black and white team. When the yellow DOES come in, it is a very very pale yellow, so much so that I had to squint at the screen to tell it apart from white. Make it bold so people can see it, and give them yellow more often. It looks too bland otherwise.

Thanks Alpha, that is very apt criticism! You make a good point. However, because the Steelers don't wear a yellow jersey in real life, they only wear the yellow in "emergency" situations (against MIN, WAS, and KC who's "emergency" alternate uniforms look even worse!) in my ROM. I only used the pale yellow color so that the the Steelers could be distinguished from these teams. Every other team with a dark helmet and white jersey uses an alternate against the Steelers. This is also the reason I used the pale yellow. It had to be something that wasn't white, but was close enough to white that it couldn't be construed as something like a maize yellow which the Steelers never wear. I know in the original TSB they do use the 28 yellow color but they don't in real life. I'll also save you the time of downloading Test85 by posting Test86 in my original post in which I added Jason Taylor to the Jets and Fixed Bryan Williams jersey number.

It's also a matter that the NES doesn't have a good yellow color, so some sacrifices have to be made...uniforms in NES TSB are 2-color (as opposed to the SNES version where helmet, jersey, and pants can all be different.

But other mods do have the Steelers wearing yellow. I have mods from 2007-09 and they all gave them yellow shirts. Granted, it's not a bright yellow, it's kind of dark almost like mustard, but I still consider it yellow. It can be done. If the Seahawks can wear neon green, the Steelers can wear yellow. I understand that proads26 is trying to be true to real life, but I also think exceptions can be made.

I don't disagree with this...we put the steelers in yellow jerseys for our TB ROM, I'm just saying there's not a good yellow, and the greenish-yellow (28) isn't acceptable to me.

If you want your colors to be closer to how the NES displays them on a TV, I have a palette file that jstout sent me that you can load into nestopia (or tweak yourself and then load) to make your experience better. It's pretty nice, and doesn't affect online play, which is nice.

Nope, you basically just go into your video options and select custom palette and pick the .pal file I send you. Then, anytime you load nestopia, it uses that palette instead. I've attached it to this post...

P.S. I should warn you, the colors are a lot softer than they are on your PC, but it does give it that authentic NES feel...ifyou don't like them, you can tweak them. You can also make as many palette files as you want and tell nestopia to load specific palette files using a command line parameter (easier than it sounds).

NES.zip

I was poking around the board and found the post discussing the KR speed and found a way around the problem with the dedicated KR hack. I pretty much followed the advice given but made a few adjustments of my own. Now the MS of the KR in my ROM will no longer be dependent on the condition of the RT! The adjustments are in Test87 which can be found in my original post. The only problems I can see so far are:

-sometimes on a full kick the name of the player 2 kick returner will disappear

-a few of the slowest return guys have to field both the shortest and longest kicks possible "on the bounce" because they aren't fast enough to get to the ball before it lands. I haven't noticed this resulting in any turnovers, or having much of an effect on the return in general.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the change I have implemented.

EDIT: Of course the change would not result in any turnovers the ball can't be turned over until it has been possessed on a "non offside" kick.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official! Well it has been for a while now; I decided to go with Test86 as the final version to be put into a cartridge. The disappearing of player 2 KR's name at times made Test87 seem too unpolished to be in a cartridge. Thanks everyone for all of the input! Test86 wouldn't be what it is without all of your help.

Now that that is out of the way, I did a roster update including the movements of Lynch, Moss, and a few others. It should be as current as possible right now. I also updated a few Pro Bowlers. Moss to the Vikings helps them during the season but Favre still seems to do them in during the playoffs with a few interceptions. I noticed all the downloads of Test87 and I appreciate them. Test88 is in my original post. Please let me know what you think! I will implement suggestions into future updates!

I see what you wrote but still don't get why'd you cart 86 instead of 87 or 88? Where you getting it carted? I've never done that but it sounds cool.

I really like the improved KR speed in Test 87 and 88 but the name disappearing thing was just too much. I'd like to find a way to prevent it, possibly for my TSB 2012; I guess I have about a year to figure it out.

I found a website http://www.gamereproductions.com/ that is doing it for me. It takes like 3-4 weeks but I don't mind that. I'm going home for my sister's wedding in a few weeks and all my cousins will be there. When we were kids we were all addicted to the original. They're all pretty geeked about playing an updated version and Test86 was my best effort under the time constraints.

As an aside, I fixed the Titans and Vikings playbooks in Test88, the fixes are in Test89 like always in the original post.

I like your rom because it plays like the original. Good work. I will say, I'm debating on how I feel about what you've done to keep the PR/KR as up to date as possible. Seeing Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (DAL-CB) at RB4 and Philip Buchanon (WAS-CB) at WR4 is weird to me and the thought of them playing offense bugs me and with injuries we know it's possible. I love your Saints, Titans, Ravens intro -- strong!

I like your rom because it plays like the original. Good work. I will say, I'm debating on how I feel about what you've done to keep the PR/KR as up to date as possible. Seeing Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (DAL-CB) at RB4 and Philip Buchanon (WAS-CB) at WR4 is weird to me and the thought of them playing offense bugs me and with injuries we know it's possible. I love your Saints, Titans, Ravens intro -- strong!

Kind words, thank you. I'm glad you liked my intro, reading Johnny LaRue's mega color thread got me going in the right direction and the rest seemed to just fall into place.

You do raise a good point regarding defensive players who are also kick returners. I did try to use the 4th WR or RB positions when I could so that the chance of these players seeing the field is pretty slim. Sometime earlier this season Aikman was on Fox talking about the Bears receiving corps being a bunch of converted DBs and referring to Deion said something about playing with one of the greatest athletes of all time and how he was a sub par wide receiver... I feel the same way and I think this principle is reflected in such players ratings. While the defensive players who are return men may be good athletes, I don't think any of them can catch a cold in my ROM; so hopefully they won't affect the game too much if they do get in.

You're welcome!

Also, if you're moving on from pre/Week 1 rosters - post-cartification - you might want to consider replacing Eagles FB Weaver. He went on IR, and only had 1 run attempt in his 1 game played this year.

Additionally, consider switching KC's starting TE: I know some depth charts show Moeaki at no. 2, but the rookie's already the team's overall leader in receptions (12, for 120+ yards and 2 TDs, through their first 3 games played so far).

Keep it rockin... And know that you have a fan in putting those DBs at their respective KR/PR positions, by the way!

You're welcome!

Also, if you're moving on from pre/Week 1 rosters - post-cartification - you might want to consider replacing Eagles FB Weaver. He went on IR, and only had 1 run attempt in his 1 game played this year.

Additionally, consider switching KC's starting TE: I know some depth charts show Moeaki at no. 2, but the rookie's already the team's overall leader in receptions (12, for 120+ yards and 2 TDs, through their first 3 games played so far).

Keep it rockin... And know that you have a fan in putting those DBs at their respective KR/PR positions, by the way!

Both fine points and well taken. I'm glad you do like the DBs returning kicks! I also found some mistakes I made with Pro Bowl receivers for both conferences. These mistakes have been corrected and your suggestions implemented. Test91 is in my original post

I like the way this ROM plays. My only complaint would be with the roster updates, since players like Matthew Stafford are non-existant due to injury. I prefer ROM's that keep injured players on the depth chart as if they were healthy. I consider any video game replay of a season to be an "alternate reality" where everyone should start healthy, but maybe that is just me!

I like the way this ROM plays. My only complaint would be with the roster updates, since players like Matthew Stafford are non-existant due to injury. I prefer ROM's that keep injured players on the depth chart as if they were healthy. I consider any video game replay of a season to be an "alternate reality" where everyone should start healthy, but maybe that is just me!

I totally agree with you Sargon, that's why I carted Test86 which had the opening day rosters. After opening day I say that a player is just as likely to get hurt in real life as he is during my current TSB season. I just like doing roster updates to give me something to do. I can PM you a copy with the opening day rosters if you like.

I totally agree with you Sargon, that's why I carted Test86 which had the opening day rosters. After opening day I say that a player is just as likely to get hurt in real life as he is during my current TSB season. I just like doing roster updates to give me something to do. I can PM you a copy with the opening day rosters if you like.

Maybe keep a copy of Test86 available for download as well? If you want to PM it to me, that would be great too. Thanks!

I finished my updates with Deion Branch going to the Pats, and everything else that has happened with this week. I'm considering reevaluating the way I calculate a few of the Sim values for the players. Let me know what you think of the player's Sim values in this update. The update is in my original post.

I'm considering reevaluating the way I calculate a few of the Sim values for the players. Let me know what you think of the player's Sim values in this update.

Can you post a quick explanation of how you came up with your ratings and/or sim values? I know you used Madden but I'd like to know how you transferred those numbers to TSB. I'm always curious how people came up with their numbers.