TSB 2011 Please Test My ROM

proads26

I've been reading things and learning things from this board for a couple years. I've finally been able to get a ROM together that I would like to get into an actual cartridge, and I 'd like some criticism before I go and make it permanent. Here are a few features of my ROM

- Updated NFL Shield throughout

- Updeted team colors

- “TECMO” Football on the 35 yard line changed to “NFL Network HD Logo”

- Opening Cinema Scenes changed to Saints, Titans, Ravens

- Updated Rosters

- Updated Pro Bowl Roster (The Pro Bowlers on my ROM are the most "gifted" players at their respective positions in their respective conferences)

- Dates on the Regular Season Schedule Updated

- “1991 Roster” seen upon winning the Super Bowl changed to “2010 Roster”

- “Dedicated Punt Returner” Hack

- “Use Quickness for INT and FUM Return” Hack

- Jacksonville team abbreviation changed to JAC

- Arizona team abbreviation changed to ARI

- RT MS substituted with KR MS to allow for proper kick returns (I didn't like how the players would run five yards back at times with the" dedicated Kick Returner" hack)

Please let me know what you think of my ROM, I'd like as many people to play it as possible to get as much feedback as I can before I make this an official cartridge. I also attached a pic of the sticker I'm planning on using for the cart.

*EDIT I got the cart! It showed up on 10-21-2010, and shipped out a full 30 days after I paid as promised, and it works great! See page 4*

th_TSBLabel2.png

TSB 2011 Test86.zip

TSB 2011 Test93.zip

TSB 2011 Test94.zip

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that of course my ROM is simply an update of cxroms original 32 team ROM, and that I used TSBTool Supreme, Transhexlation, and TLP to edit the ROM. I also forgot to add that my ROM is supposed to play as close as possible to the original NES version. I did use the madden 2011 ratings as a reference, but I have my own spreadsheet to aid me in evaluating the madden ratings and determining a given player's abilities in the ROM. Nobody has a face, just the proper shadow to determine skin color, if I gave one player a face I'd have to do it for all 2185 players rated in my spreadsheet. Team Sim Offense attributes, Team Sim Defense attributes, and offensive tendencies are based on last year's statistics from NFL.com, however, some teams like San Francisco have players who have enough talent to outplay last year's statistics, conversely a team like Minnesota or San Diego may not have the offensive talent to maximize their Sim offense attribute. Let me know what you think. I'd especially appreciate feedback from those with a great deal of experience in building ROMs of their own.

I played a few games last night. pretty tight my friend, great job!!! :)

Did you do that NFL shield? It looks better than mine and should be used on every current rom from here on out! Excellent work! :)

Some of the rosters need tweaked as far as players go. you're missing some. Actually, are you a Steelers fan? (like myself). You got their roster down to a tee. Also I noticed Roethlisberger at the fore-front of your cover graphic, which is nice as well. Great job!! looking forward to more future work.

I played a few games last night. pretty tight my friend, great job!!! :)

Did you do that NFL shield? It looks better than mine and should be used on every current rom from here on out! Excellent work! :)

Some of the rosters need tweaked as far as players go. you're missing some. Actually, are you a Steelers fan? (like myself). You got their roster down to a tee. Also I noticed Roethlisberger at the fore-front of your cover graphic, which is nice as well. Great job!! looking forward to more future work.

Thank you elway. I did do the shield myself, I'm glad it looks good because it took some time. If you mean Ed Reed, Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNiel, Darren Sharper, and there may be a few others, they are not on their team's active roster either because they are on the PUP or because they want more money so I left them out. I'm actually a Browns fan, just an objective one. Big Ben ended up there because it seemed like the best place to put that picture. What other players am I missing? I'll put them in.

Test81 has a couple updates.

-I changed the orange used by the browns and bengals from 17 to 27. The contrast between the field and the color 17 looked weird.

-Austin Collie is now in his rightful spot as the number three receiver for the Colts.

-Matt Lineart is now the backup to Schaub in Houston. (Thanks elway)

-I changed Tampa Bay's playbook after I realized that there were no running plays for Kareem Huggins.

I noticed that Test Version 80 had been downloaded by a few people, so I can't wait for some feedback, positive or negative I'd appreciate both.

Test81 can be found in my original post

I gave Test 81 a very quick runthrough. From a gameplay perspective, it looks pretty good. There are a few cosmetic things I'd like to mention:

1. On Denver's roster, you have Brady Quinn as the #2 QB, but it seems like it will officially be Tim Tebow. You might want to put that in.

2. I know Ben Roethlisberger's name is a nightmare to put in the game, but there are ways around it. Most older versions have him listed as "BEN ROETHLISBERG" which I kinda find amusing. Other new versions for this year actually got it to fit by listing him as "B.ROETHLISBERGER" -- no spaces, just an initial with a full last name. Consider trying that.

3. I have to ask, what possessed you to give the Seahawks the neon green alternate jerseys? I know they wear those sometimes at home games, and it is refreshing to see every now and again, but if I were to play a whole season with them, that would start hurting my eyes. Maybe you should just default to the aqua blue.

Again, gameplay-wise, I liked it. Just a few minor roster and graphics things that you might want to look into.

1. On Denver's roster, you have Brady Quinn as the #2 QB, but it seems like it will officially be Tim Tebow. You might want to put that in.

2. I know Ben Roethlisberger's name is a nightmare to put in the game, but there are ways around it. Most older versions have him listed as "BEN ROETHLISBERG" which I kinda find amusing. Other new versions for this year actually got it to fit by listing him as "B.ROETHLISBERGER" -- no spaces, just an initial with a full last name. Consider trying that.

3. I have to ask, what possessed you to give the Seahawks the neon green alternate jerseys? I know they wear those sometimes at home games, and it is refreshing to see every now and again, but if I were to play a whole season with them, that would start hurting my eyes. Maybe you should just default to the aqua blue.

Thanks for the feedback Alpha! I'm glad you liked the gameplay!

-Tebow will be Denver's backup in Test82, great point, thank you.

-I will also get into the hex and make the change to Big Ben's name, another fine point.

-My policy on uniforms is any team who's home jersey and helmet are the same color must wear a white jersey. Seattle fits this criteria. However, Seattle is in the NFC West. Since I cannot choose an alternate uniform for any of the NFC West Teams, and because Seattle is not a team against whom other teams can wear an alternate uniform, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from any other team with a dark helmet and white jersey. So they got the neon. I just keep a pair of aviators nearby :)

Go over your rosters and correct all the names.

Bills- Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geoff Hangartner

Dolphins- Brandon Marshall

So on and so on. This will make your rom feel complete for your cart transfer. :)

Maroney goes to the Broncos, replace him with Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis. I'm not sure who the starter is now, didn't look that up. :)

Other than that, the ratings seem tight and fairly spot on. The game play has the classic feel to it. :)

Go over your rosters and correct all the names.

Bills- Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geoff Hangartner

Dolphins- Brandon Marshall

So on and so on. This will make your rom feel complete for your cart transfer. :)

Maroney goes to the Broncos, replace him with Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis. I'm not sure who the starter is now, didn't look that up. :)

Other than that, the ratings seem tight and fairly spot on. The game play has the classic feel to it. :)

I'm sorry, I can't do that, and it's all Big Ben's fault, well and him Houshmanzadeh.I tried it but when Roethlesberger throws a touchdown pass and the game tries to bring up his name as B. ROETHLESBERGER during the quarterback celebration cinema scene the screen goes all weird. The spreadsheet I made rates all the players and then combines the ratings, names, numbers etc into one nice column of text that I just paste into TSBTool Supreme. I like a nice hard "first initial dot space" before the last name so that it looks like someone put some thought into it so I specifically wrote the formulas that format the names to only allow a name to total fifteen characters before the first name becomes "R." "G." "B." etc because of those two players. I know that in the cases of Fitzpatrick, Hangartner, Marshall, and many other players that this would not be an issue but if I start writing special formulas for everyone I no longer have cold hearted truly objective system. So sorry also to Alpha, I know I said I'd work on Roehtlesberger's name but it looks like it won't happen.

I'm also unsure if I can put Maroney on the Broncos, since it happened after week one. I really want to make an exception, and i know he shold impact the Bronco's season, but any line I draw between players who will or won't be moved from where they were on opening day after doing that would be purely arbitrary, again compromising my cold hearted truly objective system.

So thanks a lot for the feedback but I can't do it this time. Since you said my ratings are "fairly spot on" are there any that seem extreme that you think I should change?

Thanks elway, I appreciate that, figuring out how to get the ratings the way they are took some time.

Drummer, you say to each his own ROM; I noticed that your ROM has quite a huge following, so what can I learn from you? What does your ROM have that my ROM is lacking? What things would you suggest that I improve? I think you also use the Madden ratings in some way to help you determine your ratings, how are you determining RS, RP, MS etc? I'd be willing to reevaluate my methods if some of yours are more compelling.

Don't change the way you do your ratings! you went for the old school feel and from people's feedback you have done that,and thats what you were shooting for. my ratings are based off madden ratings,but i have a spreadsheet i made that i use to convert madden ratings to tecmo numbers. My rom plays faster. It's what YOU want your rom to be. Some will like it,some wont. but it's the time and effort that people put into the rom's that means the most,giving back to the community...good job!

if you dont like mine gopher that's cool but alot do. My ratings style is different. But not jacking proads thread to validate my ratings,i am used to it lol. Also alot of things fixed with roster update i am releasing today. Again proad good job,the thing of me and your rom being different is a good thing. The thing with editing is the time,effort,and giving back to the community here,and elsewhere. People will and won't like your work i can attest to that. but if you are happy with your work,what does it matter if others like it or not? If they don't like your rom or anyone else's rom,they can edit and do their own... :)

Great ROM! Only thing upsets me is how slow kr/pr are. I play as Vikings and Percy was SLOW!!! he is one of fastest guys in NFL. Drummer I did not like yours. Rosters are whack and ratings. Also lotta names are misplelled. but this one is one of my favorites, can't wait for updates

He sure is, among starting wide receivers he is seventh fastest; tied with Lee Evans, Bernard Berrian, Randy Moss, Mike Wallace, and Santana Moss. Percy's MS is 56, and so is Phil Loadholt's, each RT's MS is equal to his team's KR's MS. I just returned a kick for 80 something yards against the Steelers with him, would have easily had a TD but my finger slipped and ruined my zig zag, stupid laptop keyboard. Anyway, what teams were you playing against? Test82 is all but done and I'd like to find the problem if there is one.

Test82 is up now, and I think this will be the final version unless I've made any glaring mistakes, or I get anymore fantastic feedback. I really appreciate the all of the feedback, its been great!

I made a few changes to Test81, Tim Tebow is now the number two QB in Denver, I made some minor playbook adjustments and other than a couple teams who have the R AND S 3 WING, it should be almost impossible to tell run from pass at the line. My playbooks are a little more repetitive than QB Eagles' but the idea is the same: no tell offenses.

I did change two names; LaRod Stephens Howl and D. Rodgers Crom just looked ridiculous so with Drummer's permission I used his method of dealing with these incredibly long names.

I did think of a potential cause for the issue that Gopher had with the KR speed. Because I simply made the RT's MS = the KR's MS when I rated the players, if a team's KR was in GOOD condition but the RT was in BAD condition, the KR's MS when returning kicks would be impacted. However, if I must choose between this issue and the issue with the “dedicated kick returner” hack where the CPU returner runs back five yards before running forward on a long kick, I'll choose the former over the latter.

Test82 is in my original post, I realize its the weekend, but I'd like to get this sent off to be put into a cart on Monday, so please tear it up and let me know if anything else needs changed!

This (Test82) plays too slow/easy for my liking... BUCK's is the only 2010-11 ROM that's fast/challenging enough so far, IMO. However, at least your rosters are by far the most accurate of anyone's 2010-11: I'm glad to see that you didn't set the Vikings returners as Greg Camarillo, for instance!... (but, why not at least put Bernard Berrian in as their PR?)

Nice look. Overall I like it, and it retains that (albeit slow) classic feel.

This (Test82) plays too slow/easy for my liking... BUCK's is the only 2010-11 ROM that's fast/challenging enough so far, IMO. However, at least your rosters are by far the most accurate of anyone's 2010-11: I'm glad to see that you didn't set the Vikings returners as Greg Camarillo, for instance... (but, why not at least put Bernard Berrian in as their PR?)

Nice look. I like it, overall, and it retains that (albeit slow) classic feel.

Thanks for the input Toon! When I do the rosters I just play "repeat after me" with the depth charts listed on yahoo sports. So you'll have to dial up Chilli or Ziggy Wilf and ask them why they spread themselves so thin at WR and didn't bring in Vincent Jackson or Housh to help out the ol' gunslinger. Thanks again for the input, I'm glad the classic feel is there!

Chillidog or Woof?!?... I'm not even a Viqueens fan so much as I was just using them as an example; of most others, who either refuse or ignore making their rosters more accurate. To be clearer, I was saying that I'm glad, for instance, your KR/PR men - with the Vikings, in this case - aren't G. Camarillo (who's never returned a kick or a punt in his 5-year career!); but with any other 2010-11 ROM - evidently - he's appeared there.

Also, while I understand your depth chart system - Harvin's listed above Berrian as Vikings PR on nfl.com too, for example - I was suggesting that you might want to put Berrian as their PR, instead of Harvin, since in actual terms Berrian's out-punt returned Harvin 2-0, 2-0; both last year and this year, so far...

Chillidog or Woof?!?... I'm not even a Viqueens fan so much as I was just using them as an example; of most others, who either refuse or ignore making their rosters more accurate. To be clearer, I was saying that I'm glad, for instance, your KR/PR men - with the Vikings, in this case - aren't G. Camarillo (who's never returned a kick or a punt in his 5-year career!); but with any other 2010-11 ROM - evidently - he's appeared there.

Also, while I understand your depth chart system - Harvin's listed above Berrian as Vikings PR on nfl.com too, for example - I was suggesting that you might want to put Berrian as their PR, instead of Harvin, since in actual terms Berrian's out-punt returned Harvin 2-0, 2-0; both last year and this year, so far...

Great point Toon! I did use Daniel Manning rather than Johnny Knox as Chicago's KR. Your point, and my actions with Chicago's return game also give me an excuse to insert Dexter McCluster as the Chiefs PR. The fact that Manning, McCluster, and Berrian are listed on their team's depth charts, do return kicks at times, and do make significant statistical contributions while doing so supports your point and my actions with these other two players and results in Test83. Which can be found in my original post. Thanks again! The more eyes on something, the more it can be improved!